Customer reviews

1,085
Style: M5A78L-M LX3|Change

on 31 May 2017
Fitted with an AMD 8 core CPU, this mother board is busy working for us. Initially it corrupted several Linux drives, until we got the hang of turning off many of the BIOS functions related to Microsoft 'security' features. CPU is water cooled and stays cold most of the time, we are not over-clocking at all. 32GB of DDR3 RAM, capable of 2.4 GHz but running at the 1.33 GHz default. After a week, it started needing a CPU fan, despite it being turned off in the BIOS. Not a big deal, we just let the CPU's stock fan blow on the regulator's heat-sink, keeps them cool as well. Generally we are happy with this M.B, it is doing the job well, despite the oddity with the CPU fan. The warmest part is the Graphics card, also Asus with a passive cooler. Maybe we will water-cool that as well. We recommend this mother board, if running Linux make sure the BIOS is fully configured to kill all Microsoft 'features'.
on 13 May 2016
I love this motherboard, it look's fantastic inside a PC Case with the BLUE colored areas.This motherboard contains a motherboard CD that you need to get port's on the motherboard such as: USB 3.0 & GPU's & Ethernet Port etc. It also comes with a BLUE ASUS Sticker for you PC Case, motherboard comes with a software called EPU-4 where your able to control you CPU Fan speed at all times and control CPU Usage.! I use this Motherboard for a custom built PC, for this motherboard I have a: AMD 6300 & MSI 730 GPU & VS550 Power Supply powering the motherboard. Seller very helpful, after a while had a problem with my Ethernet port however seller was very kind and helpful and sent out a replacement!
on 7 July 2015
No issues with this board. At first, it wouldn't start using FX-8350 but upgrading the BIOS seemed to solve that. That's possible even if the board won't run using a USB stick containing the new BIOS. I'm using this with 16 Gb memory and it's a vast improvement on my old AS Rock Intel E7500 processor board. I didn't even have to use the driver CD - Windows 8.1 just seemed to install the correct drivers.

And the email support from ASUS was quite quick, unlike some other board makers I've experienced.

My only problem was with Windows 8 activation and Microsoft's appalling telephone system.
on 23 April 2015
I was looking for a reliable motherboard from a trusted brand name for a fairly powerful set of components. I already own an inexpensive laptop with an Asus motherboard and when I saw this motherboard, the sabertooth 990fx revision 2, I decided to give it a go. Firstly, the price was in the range I budgeted for and I could see by various photos the board is well-built. Being an atx motherboard, I installed it in a corsair graphite case suited to an atx board with the option of using a liquid cooler, also manufactured by corsair. The end result it's impressive. For starters it was my very first build and this motherboard has really easy to use features. Once the 8 core AMD processor was seated and the other components in place the board booted perfectly.
Setting up the installation of hard drives via the BIOS feels intuitive and is very straightforward. I have to say the marketing of this motherboard had a lot to do with it being my number one choice. The motherboard itself looks rugged and the gold-styled parts make it look worth the money. Also, it apparently doesn't cut out when exposed to moisture or dust. Being a pc I had planned being in a bedroom, I felt these were useful features. In short: I have been using this motherboard for months and am thoroughly happy with it.
on 30 October 2014
This motherboard is great. I bought it for an AMD FX 6300 CPU and a Sapphire Radeon R9 270X Vapor-X GPU. It works completely fine!

Benchmarks:

Battlfield 4 (Ultra): Average of 50FPS
Battlfield 3 (Ultra): Average of 60FPS
Alien Isolation (Ultra): 60FPS (locked at 60 in game)
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive: Average of 170FPS
APB Reloaded (Max settings): Average of 80FPS+

Great motherboard for entry level buyers and a lot of cool features such as on board button to access UEFI, check RAM and USB BIOS Flashback! 2 USB 3.0 ports at the back and one USB 3.0 header on the motherboard for the front panel of the case. I put this MOBO in a BitFenix Comrade Mid Tower case. Has 6 SATA III 6GB/s ports. The user manual has a lot of information and tells you how to build a PC as well. Has all the features in the manual too. Worth reading after you build the PC. I run Windows 8 Pro on this build.

Overall, great motherboard, 5 Stars, Would recommend!
on 18 July 2016
I received 2 of these motherboards, the first one was faulty and did not work. Amazon were great and I received a replacement the next day, lo and behold it was also faulty. Returned for a refund and would not buy this motherboard again.
on 1 February 2015
I used this motherboard in combination with FX 8120, FX 8150, FX 8320 and FX 8350 to build 4 PC's until now. I built the first one 3 years ago (not R2.0 but same mobo) and it still runs great after the owner used it to play World of Warcraft 10 to 20 hours daily. None of the users reported any problems with those PC's. Nice UEFI on it easy to flash.

Basically I had no issues with this motherboard until I bought it from Amazon.
The motherboard came with the large heatsink detached from the motherboard with 2 broken screws carefully hidden under it. As I purchased this MOBO for myself I didn't send it back for replacement (I waited almos 2 weeks for it to arrive in the first place) just used a couple of zip ties to attach the heatsink to the mobo. I have been using it for a couple of weeks now and have had no issues with it just giving it an okay rating because the damage was clearly seen by the seller and he tried to cover it hoping he would find a guy like me who wouldn't send it back and succeeded.
review image review image
on 11 October 2014
Nice board, good quality.
A few things to watch for. If you are planning to install windows vista the sound may start (popping) when the Ethernet is plugged in.
If the Ethernet is turned off it stops popping.
This only seems to be an issue with vista (windows 7 does not have the same issue). The back I/O panel is a poor fit, so bad that I have left it off. I have a cooler master case which I have noticed others who have this board and say the same also have. Maybe a cooler master and ASUS problem?
The bios is nice and easy to get on with. Another note is that this board (or at least the one I was supplied) already had turboV enabled. Just a small problem really and easy to change.

Nice overall and seems well worth the extra then some Gigabyte boards.

On a different note amazon's drop box service was quick, easy and cheap. It also saves waiting in all day for a courier!
on 10 March 2017
Superb mobo without having to shell out tons of cash. Coupled with an AMD 8 core chip, windows 7 pro 64bit, 8gb RAM and the GTX 750Ti gfx card. Whilst this isn't going to rock any pro gamers world, for professional photo set-up it works very nicely. Also handles most new games as well and never had an issue.
on 6 February 2014
I needed a new Mobo and CPU and on a tight budget and believe this is a good choice. I wanted a board with a history of being reliable and able to overclock rather than super performance that breaks after 6 month,
Pleased with the M5A97 on looks, the blue goes well with my blue themed LED and innitial performance great with the following fitted on my budget build:
AMD FX3600 Black Edition running at 4.1GHz
Arctic Cooling Freezer A30
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz 2x4GB
XFX R6850 HD at 1000MHz
WD 1TB 3.5 inch Internal Hard Drive - Black
Corsair 430W Bronze
Revamped X-Blade case with new fans