on 26 October 2013
In-depth review!

BUILD: The headphones are well put together - the cord is strong and hard to tangle (quite thick and protected), the headphones are pretty solid and they come with a neat little box you can store them in as an added bonus.

SOUND: Possibly the clearest sounding headphones I've ever owned. They exaggerate the highs a little too much but are not "tinny" - This is thanks to the fact that all the frequencies are well represented and these headphones provide a pristine reproduction of your music. I turned the bass up a little, the highs down and... What a treat!

For those interested in the technical side of the EQing: 15khz and 5khz down by 2db, 100hz and 500hz up by 1db.
I also turned on the bass enhancement feature on my device, but only a touch.

VERDICT:
I almost feel spoilt after having been stuck with £15 headphones from the local super market for 6 months after my cat chewed through my previous headphones. As an audio engineer by trade, I can assure you that these are good headphones for this price range and, to be honest, you can't really go wrong with Sony and sound when it comes to consumer products.
on 31 July 2013
Great sound quality on these but the earpieces are crazy sizes and can be hard to fit to ear size - so a little disappointing. 7/10
on 21 June 2014
Totally disappointed with the sound quality of them. Too much bass and heights are so metallic. Returned after 2 days. Bought instead the Soundmagic E10 which sound exceptional. Even now, after 6 months of using them I am amazed by the crispness and fidelity of sound.
on 27 February 2015
I bought these about a year ago and really tried to like them but I just couldn't. I tried them on an off, but maybe not enough for them to 'burn in' perhaps. Despite all the praise that it was getting from other review sites I found the sound quality of these to be quite poor. I found it completely lacked any bass, and has quite sharp mid and treble. Maybe that could be interpreted as clarity?

Interestingly when I plugged these headphones into my laptop, the sound quality was even worse. The volume of mid and treble increased which was even more piercing to my ears but the bass remained ever so faint in the background. I was using it with my android phone thinking maybe it'll work better with an iPhone, but testing it with my friend's iPhone didn't improve the sound quality at all.

As for comfort, they are a little bulking for in-ear headphones and didn't seem to fit well in my ears. I currently own a pair of mdr-ex300sl which I've had for over 5 years and am still really happy with the sound quality and comfort of those. I'm just surprised that these more modern and more expensive headphones seem to be going in the wrong direction. Perhaps reviews in the audio department is more subjective than I realise.
on 19 May 2013
Excellent headphones with clear treble, satisfying mid-range and ample (for me) bass. Like other reviewers I find that the 'phones sort out the wheat from the chaff in terms of source material. The better the recording the better the sound which the the XBA2s deliver.
The 'phones are extremely comfortable, the carry case neat and good quality but I do find the cord a bit thin and prone to tangle, hence the deduction of one star. Nonetheless, a very good purchase, particularly at the £60 point which is a good deal lower than Sony offer on their website.
on 5 July 2013
Have these a few weeks now
A bit treble splashy at first Not keen on the J cord though
Sound brill after a few weeks
Still don't like the J cord
on 26 August 2014
A good set of earbuds here. I've been trialling them for a few weeks now and am mostly impressed. The lows are nice, not quite as thumping as something like the beats but just enough to have a decent presence. The mids are warm and saturated and in my opinion make these buds. There's enough room in them to distinguish all instrumentation and vocals. You'll hear ever nuance mind, in a "mastered for iTunes" track. That said I've only been using these with my iPod classic, so quality has been jeopardised indefinitely. I have yet to try's these on an amp. Finally the highs, I have found that being a dual armature bud, a third would have been welcomed. Treble just lacks on these little guys unfortunately. Cymbals and certain high frequency instruments get lost in the mix as the lows and mids overbalance the highs.

The package contains a plethora of fittings for all eat canal sizes and the addition of the noise isolation fittings were greatly appreciated. As with these buds I'd say they are some of the best isolation I've experienced, whether it be on a plane, train or boat I've tried them in all scenarios and been impressed!

If you're looking for a decent set of earbuds with a fun sound characteristic pick these up!
on 4 July 2013
I'm a big audiophile and I bought these headphones thinking that they would be very good value for money. Unfortunately, they are a big let down. The stage reproduction is narrow, the treble tinny and the base is very poor.

I bought these to replace my Soundmagic E10's, which was a mistake. Honestly, save your money and buy a pair of E10's. They are twice as good. Don't bother with anything else less than £100. I'm sticking to Soundmagic or Sennheisers (learnt the hard way)!
on 23 June 2013
very happy with these headphones , though they feel like there missing something small to make them excellent headphones , good sony quality as always.
on 9 September 2013
When I saw the response curves on these, going down to 4Hz I was quite excited with it's claim of a dedicated woofer, but Bass performance was really disappointing compared to single 13.5 neodymium driver headphones. But thinking about it, it does make sense... I mean how much volume of air can XBA drivers push, considering their tiny surface area? They may well "respond" to low sound signals, but they simply can't physically drive as much air, and therefore lack alot of presence that cheaper standard single driver phones have.

See one answered question