Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now New Album - Zara Larsson Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 18 April 2013
BE AWARE YOU CANNOT EXPAND THE 1GB RAM ON THIS MODEL....but can work around this.

I read allot of reviews and compared allot of the other netbooks and found that this overall was the best one, certainly for the price and the fact that it was a LED screen and could play HD content. One thing I noticed was that there was allot of criticism and bad reviews about this particular model and yet there were some really positive reviews and how they were loving it so was confused as to which to believe!I am of the latter now after a few weeks use. I can definitely understand why the people who hated this model why they did with such a passion!

Straight out of the box if you were only to do light browsing and use Microsoft word you would be fine and would certainly have a good experience, but when you start pushing it and want to multi task and use it as you would like a full blown pc or laptop that's where the problems start but I knew this as the clue was in the 1gb ram and title "NETBOOK".

The problem lies with the 1gb ram WHICH CANNOT BE EXPANDED as the ram is soldered to the board so no slot to remove and upgrade, I don't know why probably due to costs or something. I'd read beforehand that you can improve windows performance by using ready boost by inserting a SD card or even a USB stick, the extra memory is used by windows to install data that would normally be stored on the ram, it certainly helps particularly if you will be installing lots of programs, you can only use up to 4036mb which is about 3gb so you only need a SD card or USB with at least 4gb anything more is a waste. The next thing I did was to set about reducing the memory usage by deleting and turning off various services programs and settings, having done all this I've managed to get memory usage from about 700mb down to about 500mb!! and still finding things to improve speed wise. So its no wonder when straight out of the box if you were to stick a heavy anti virus software and anti-spy ware and go onto open several tabs this thing would crawl and crash!! BTW DONT USE CHROME yes it is fast and better browser but it comes at a cost and uses allot of resources it would be fine on a desktop or laptop but not a tiny netbook stick to IE 10 its just as fast and uses less resources.

Having done all this messing about with settings and putting a 8gb SDHC card for ready boost this laptop pretty much functions as a normal PC and I'm using it as such from watching films, downloading, browsing arranging music, films. But don't get carried away its not never gonna compete with the full blown laptops so don't expect to be editing HD videos or playing PC games on this, but then I never bought this for that! But as of now I'm using it normally as I would with my desktop! with the bonus its just as light and small as a mac air!!

Of course if you are technically minded you could put Linux on this and would be able to play with the big boys comfortably on it.

If you aren't confident with computers and just want something that will work seamlessly THEN THS NETBOOK is not for you JUST BUY A TABLET. But if you are willing to put in the effort and don't mind tinkering with computers then this laptop will exceed your expectations of a tiny 1gb netbook and love it!!

Not a 5 star as its far from perfect but loving it.
77 Comments| 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 February 2013
Before purchasing this product, I read the other reviews and noticed they all had one thing in common, the slowness from the RAM. After doing a little research of my own, knowing that the internal memory could no be upgraded, I found my perfect solution.

I did notice myself when first using it that it was slow, so dug out my 8GB SDHC memory card, whacked that in and used that to boost the RAM. The difference it has made (giving another 4GB of RAM) is wonderful.

I brought this as something small to take with me into university everyday (I have to travel to central London)rather than taking a full sized laptop. It is certainly small and lightweight, perfect for me to carry around with me.

I'm still adjusting to using the smaller keyboard, which is only to be expected. I changed the power settings, dimming the screen down more and saving on power. It actually lasts me for days before I really need to charge it (current use at uni is minimal, but that will soon change). It's main uses include internet browsing (via Chrome) and Microsoft Office. So far so good.

For someone considering this product, but worried about the slowness and the RAM, just stick a memory card in, set it to be used as ReadyBoost, and away you go. Just note that the memory card cannot be accessed for anything else as long as it is used for memory. I rarely use the SD card slot on any device, so makes no difference to me.

For me, this has been a great buy. The reason it only received the 4 stars was due to the speed, which has a separate solution. Overall it is a good NetBook, it suits my needs and have yet to have any issues with it.
44 Comments| 122 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 March 2012
I have had one of these netbook's for about a month now and i am very pleased with it. Its small and light with a very modern design. The texture over the majority of the case gives an up market feel. The build quality is first class, i have rarely been more impressed with a product especially when you take its cost into account. I have extensively used an android tablet which is fine for light browsing but i must be old fashioned and i missed having a physical keyboard.

The screen is good, having a matt finish which i prefer over a glossy screen as i intend to use this in the garden this summer. It is nice and bright when on mains and even on its lowest setting when running on battery it is perfectly useable. It has a webcam at the top of the screen that is fairly good quality and fine for msn messenger.

The keyboard is very good, i have not owned a netbook before and was worried about the keyboard after always using full size laptops. The keys have a nice precise feel and weighting and there is no flex at all.

Battery life appears to be a bit of a shortcoming on this netbook. I think i am getting in the region of 3 hours from a full charge although this is improving with each use as the battery goes through a few cycles. This however is fine for my needs as it mainly stays plugged in. The battery is only 3 cells and this helps keep the very thin form factor and this is the pay off for the slimness.

I was worried about performance of netbooks in general after reading loads of reviews of various models. I am quite happy with it though. I have office professional 2010 installed on it and word and excel open quickly and work fine in general use. Web browsing is fine as long as you don't have too many media rich windows open. I have put an old 4gb SD card into the media slot and set it up for ready boost and this improved the performance somewhat. I have just ordered a 2GB memory stick to further improve things. (N.B. please be aware i have reviewed my X101H, it appears as per the comments below that the X101CH may not be upgradeable) The computer itself runs very quietly and the fan is just a gentle and unobtrusive hum.

Windows 7 starter is fine and has all the basic functions you would need. It comes with a fair bit of junk software which i have removed. It boots up very quickly and will come out of sleep mode and be ready to go in 5-10 seconds.

To sum up i am very pleased with this little laptop, it suits my needs fine. If i was travelling regularly battery life may be an issue but for a home based machine this is ideal. It looks more expensive than it cost mainly due to the very thin and light design and the high quality feel. I thoroughly recommend you give this little netbook a second look.
55 Comments| 174 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 July 2013
Writing this review on my Asus Eee PC X101CH 10.1 inch Netbook - White.

After deciding on a netbook over a tablet having used my brothers netbook i wanted one.

I went with this product because there was no other netbook in the market that was at this price.

This product out of the box without upgradeble ram is slow. Do not let that discourage you on buying this product. Read further to understand why.

Design is solid and very pretty, lightweight and useable.

Out of the box like previously mentioned first inital use the netbook is slow.

My first step - Get Windows 7 updates (will take a while)

My second step - Remove bloatware that comes with the Netbook.

Remove bloatware that comes with the netbook. If you don't know what to uninstall from the programs list in control pannel. This link will show you what you need to uninstall.

[...]

After doing this the difference? Very noticeable.

My Third step - Readyboost.

After reading about readyboost and understanding it i purchased a Sandisk (ULTRA) Class 10 SDHC Card with 8GB Size @ 30MB/S. I then recieved this badboy and inserted it into the netbook and formatted it to NTFS @ Max capacity. (Right click on the drive and click format in my computer) Then right clicked properties on this badboy and selected Readyboost and put it on full capacity (all of the card).

I then inserted my 8GB Crucial usb memory stick and formatted it @ NTFS and then again set it to readyboost.

Both devices are running at full capacity on readyboost and the computer is multitasking and running software with speed and no problem.

Enjoy this product there is nothing wrong with it and for the price its a bargin. Thats of course if you know what your doing.

Thanks.
on 9 January 2013
I bought this machine for my daughter to replace and upgrade a previous netbook - having decided that a tablet wouldn't necessarily fit the bill for the amount of use and homework etc. The spec - especially the hard drive capacity - rivals that of full-sized laptops of just a couple of years ago and the performance matches that - with a little tweaking.

The tweaking is the operating system. The stripped-out Windows 7 "Starter" manages the double whammy of both lacking the capacity to do much useful (struggled and failed to install a network printer) and overwhelming the 1GB memory, giving a machine which works frustratingly slowly in its supplied form. Additionally, the full installed version of Microsoft Office is only available on the payment of a further license fee :( .

The solution is simple - slap a Linux distribution on (for the technically-minded I set up a dual-boot which still allows access to Windows). Asus already supply some machines with Ubuntu (Linux) pre-installed (sadly, hard to find in the UK) so, having checked the comparative spec, I was confident that it would work - especially as the hard drive already comes partitioned as if expecting it...

It now runs much quicker than originally supplied and has the full functionality of a full-sized machine - including proper touch-pad scrolling and a full (free) office suite.

Additionally, it it gives the impression of being designed and built as a small but quality product with the textured case resisting the scratches of everyday use and the keyboard giving a reassuring quality feel. In its supplied form it struggles to compete with a tablet but as "tweaked" is able to play with the big boys.
33 Comments| 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 July 2012
....I brought the Asus for my old dad who is still using a 'clunky' old desktop XP based PC that he's used for about eight years.. He's not really that computer literate - just checks a bit of email, internet banking and online bills and he does a bit of 'Googling' whenever he needs to know a lot about a little !

I set it up for him - got him online with all his tabbed favourites along the Chrome browser bar and he seems to be totally gobsmacked that such a little compact and lightweight device can be so effective..even when used on his lap !

OK - it's not the greatest 'wizzer' - in fact as a netbook it's no better than many others out there despite its updated processor.. but value for money the lightweight design and good build quality makes it a lovely little box that will do EXACTLY what it says on the tin...

Keyboard feels good - trackpad is nice - screen (matte) excellent - HDMI out works very well - quick startup time, fantastic --- the ONLY LETDOWN is the rather short battery life, probably 3 hours or thereabouts max....

Even taking that into account - I still give it a full five stars...

UPDATE : After only a few weeks of use I noticed that the Asus was getting hotter and hotter underneath and sometimes the pointer seizing up on the trackpad. Made it totally unuseable due to overheating CPU. Can only presume that the internal cooling fan had packed up... RETURNED IT FOR A FULL REFUND...
33 Comments| 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 July 2012
I bought this after my old ACER Aspire One bit the dust after four years of good service. The poor reviews of the new Aspire One swayed me to look elsewhere and to eventually land on the ASUS Eee PC, which had some pretty positive ratings.

Unfortunately, the actual machine doesn't live up to the hype. The main problems are:

(1) Speed - very slow, gets confused easily and crashes constantly whilst surfing the net.
(2) The keyboard's not very sensitive. You really have to hammer the keys.
(3) The Touchpad's very temperamental.
(4) The computer only comes with a Windows 7 Starter Pack, which is pretty restrictive. You can't even change your desktop wallpaper unless you pay an extra £40 to upgrade to the full version.

Overall, a pretty poor machine. I've resorted to checking my emails on a £40 Nokia mobile phone because it's quicker and involves less swearing.
88 Comments| 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 July 2013
I purchased a X101CH in May 2012. My idea being that I needed a small machine, for presentations, powerpoint etc.

From the word "go", I had problems, the machine is very, very slow for it's specification, my five year old Toshiba is alot faster, than this machine!.

The major fault is that the X101CH locks up every 10 minutes or so for two minutes, along with a loud buzzing noise. I have tried installing numerous operating systems, but still the problem persists. Also there was a "1080p" sticker on the machine when purchased, the graphics resolution does not go that high!!!.

Another problem I noticed is that the USB connections can only be used one at a time as there is not enough power to use two USB devices at the same time.

The PSU failed within a week of purchase.

Asus are being "awkward" to say the least, my research shows that this, the machine locking up, is a common fault.

I will not buy any ASUS product again as both the product and customer service are of poor quality.
on 6 February 2013
I have the netbook, I have a laptop with 4x the specs. I am running Gimp, Windows 8, iTunes, Rocketdock, Microsoft Office, Home and Student, and other programs. It's not as fast as my laptop, but I don't ask it to be. It's a device that funtions as a basic writing / web computer, and that's what I use it for. I don't use it for more than 6 hours a day, I don't game on it, I don't load it with software, and I make sure it's clean. It's very light and portable, looks good, and is easy to turn it into a super cute fashion statement. (Pink and White reccomended.)

It's not all that fast, but that's because of the low RAM. If you want to make it faster, don't overload it with stuff you don't need. I have had problems installing Microsoft products innitially, but after a few days of tweaking, it's near perfect for what I use it for.

I've owned a cheap netbook before, and that one is still running, only my mother now owns it, and I can only hope that this one will last as long.

The keyboard is easy to clean, though I don't suggest eating near it. I bought a Disaster Designs bag to carry it in, and it fits, despite the 13" laptop case, making the ultra slim, lightweight netbook easy to store. You don't need a 'laptop' bag, since it's only 1KG. My other laptop is now a family laptop because it is too heavy to carry around (4KG).

I strongly suggest that you upgrade to Windows 7 or 8. (7 is better. I got 8 pro for £25, on offer, rather than 7, simply for the price.)

If you get this netbook, use it for what it is, not as a mini laptop. Compared to my old LG netbook, it's brilliant!

I'm trying to be a social writer, so visits to cafe's are important for that! I feel stylish as I play with my new 'toy'. Perhaps the item is style over substance, but it DOES WORK! The negative reviews put me off for ages, but eventually, I got it for my 21st, and I must say, after a stressful few days configuing it, I'm one happy bunny!

(If, like me, you automatically pick out spelling errors, please excuse any wrongdoings in this review as I am have written this via moblie phone.)
on 7 August 2012
I've never been a fan of Netbooks, but I bought the Asus EeePC X101CH for my girlfriend who wanted something small and basic to use on trips away and also on the sofa at home - since her needs were essentially limited to Internet browsing and word processing I thought it would be best to get a Netbook. Unfortunately, I've had to send the EeePC back to Amazon and get a 15.6" laptop for only £100 more - the reason being that for £200 the EeePC is shockingly and frustratingly inadequate.

Out of the box, it looks good - slick, light, well-made and with lots of ports. The first alarm bells rang after the 2 minute booting up time, which should be faster on a brand new computer, but the real doubts started when I tried to open files and programs - each click resulted in a delay of around 5-8 seconds while the Netbook's woefully inadequate processor and limited 1GB Ram struggled to cope. I should mention that I wasn't trying to run anything too big or complicated - I'm talking about 5-8 seconds to open a single browser window or the "My Documents" folder. This simply isn't acceptable for a brand new computer, even a basic and stripped-back Netbook.

Inevitably, as with a new computer, there were around 50 Windows updates to be downloaded and installed - but for some reason the EeePC was struggling to download any faster than a few hundred KB per second. I logged onto my laptop, tried downloading something over the WiFi - absolutely fine. Ran the broadband speed test on the laptop - still clocking in at 8MB/s. So the EeePC also seems to have trouble coping with downloading as well, though I'm not sure whether this was a separate WiFi card issue or just the EeePC's limited processor and RAM being unable to cope again. By the time the updates had downloaded, which took well over an hour, the EeePC then spent the next two hours installing them. Ridiculous.

Next, I looked online to see if there is anything I could do to speed the Netbook up - some forums suggest upgrading the RAM from 1GB to 2GB, but others note that this particular model of Netbook doesn't allow you to upgrade the RAM. In any case, I think it's ridiculous to expect users to buy a brand new computer and then have to upgrade the RAM to make it usable. I did read that getting a good SD card and using ReadyBoost might help speed it up - I did this and noticed a very slight improvement, but still nothing major. Definitely not a solution.

By this point, I started to really wonder whether the computer was worth keeping - and then seconds later the EeePC's touchpad freezes up and refuses to move. I tried several things, such as plugging in an external wireless mouse - which worked fine - but when removed the touchpad freezes again. Restarting the computer fixed this, but it wasn't long before it happened again. I gave up, and sent it back to Amazon for a 15.6" laptop with dual core processors and 4GB of RAM.

So, in summary, the EeePC X101CH looks great, is very light and a perfect size for easy transport. However, Asus have somehow succeeded in making a computer which has such limited RAM and processing power that it is unusable straight out of the box. I completely understand that Netbooks are meant to be stripped-back and basic and in no way as powerful as full-size laptops, but any brand new computer which immediately makes you feel like you are using a 10 year-old desktop which has never been defragmented has to go straight back in the box. Avoid, and spend the extra £100 to get a real laptop with decent RAM and processor.
11 Comment| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse

What do customers buy after viewing this item?

Best Selling • Top Rated • Lowest Price