Customer reviews

Merrymouth
Format: MP3 Download|Change

on 18 April 2012
Simon Fowler, front man and main songrwiter in Ocean Colour Scene has put out a solo album, with the help of some of his friends, including Dan Sealey (bassist in OCS) & Adam Barry. I'm a huge OCS fan and whilst I love their heavier, guitar driven songs, it's Simon's softer, folkier songs that I've listened to most. Songs like, She's been writing, fleeting mind, Big Star and everything on B-sides, seasides & freerides. This solo album is very folky, acoustic driven and beautiful ,full of stunning harmonies. It really is a treat. Stand out tracks are The Shadow Knows, Mr Marshall, Midst of Summertime, Sweetest Words and the short but beautiful, 1st Writes of Spring. If you like the folkier side of OCS & enjoy Simon & Garfunkel in their pomp, this is for you.
on 24 September 2012
This is an excellent folk based album,the songs are a masterclass in guitar and voice as well as being heartfelt and emotional.Its a lot mellower than ocs but just as good.Simon is also mindblowing live.
on 22 April 2012
I have been waiting a long time for a solo album from Simon and he didn't disappoint. This album is sheer class. Simon has a fantastic voice that so suits these choices of song.

The First Rites of Spring is just beautiful, as it Sweetest Words. Over My Head is also on an OCS album but Simon's version is somehow deeper. Prometheus is a haunting song. I absolutely love this album and Simon Fowler has to be one of the most under rated vocalists ever.

I wish I had the vocab to give this album the review it deserves. All I can say is that as an OCS fan of many years, my love and respect for Simon's voice just keeps growing.

Brilliant album, thank you Simon
on 14 May 2014
I had to get this as the new one was fantastic so I just felt this had to be Good and wasn't disappointed commented on their facebook wall with pics and stated If you follow all the best Simon seconding it hit me thanks
on 17 February 2014
If you liked some of OCS slower stuff e.g. Debris Road, Circle (Acoustic) and the sublime Robin Hood, you'll love this. best tracks are Over My Head and The Shadow Knows - try them and if you like, buy.
on 31 January 2014
Don't let the blurred cover shot of Simon Fowler walking past some bogs fool you, this is a grate album. I was lucky enough to perform on and co-produce this record. Although in hindsight, I wasn't lucky enough to be paid or indeed have my co-production contract fulfilled by Simon. Wow, the music business is a crazy place huh!? I'm sure Simon and Merrymouth are busy though, what with the 'difficult' second album with Chas and/or Dave contributing. Hopefully they'll be guaranteed higher billing than the puppet show this time.
on 15 July 2014