on 18 March 2017
I had slight doubts about this torch when I bought it but I have found it to be a really useful item. It is very quick & easy to recharge although I have only had to do it once so far. The solar battery is a great improvement on older versions of the wind-up torch & helps to keep it topped up. I don't think it would be powerful enough to light up a wide field of vision but it is ideal for closer use. The LED lights are bright & very clear. I bought this torch as a standby for my torch that has to be recharged by electricity but now I use this one all the time. Worth every penny it cost.
on 25 May 2017
got it today and its a fab product so far.
on 22 May 2017
first class torch, don't bother with other ones, get this.
on 20 February 2015
for my go bag, but kept in the car window! good light in the dark
on 8 March 2010
I had wanted to have non battery torches in event of power cut. I liked the look and spec of the PowerPlus Barracuda. It fits all the criterea for this purpose. It is solidly made - rubber armoured and feels good to hold. The light output is adequate for my needs. It feels as though it is built to last and the price is reasonable.
on 24 November 2011
We bought 1 of these a few weeks ago as we have moved into a country cottage and there are no street lights so it is very dark at night and we wanted something that would be always charged and ready to be used.

We have a number of wind up torches which are all good but you end up forgetting to wind them up so when you come to use them they are flat and you have to spend time winding them when all you want to do is use them.

We saw this and thought it was a great idea to have the solar charger as well as the wind up charger. This means that if you leave it on the window sill it will always be charged and if you need to top it up it can be wound up as well.

We were not sure what it would be like but were really pleased when it arrived. It is very rugged but still looks good. The solar part is not huge but should fully charge the torch in 8 hours in good sunlight and 1 minute of winding gives at least 60 minutes of light, much better than some of the other torches we have. Note that the winding mechanism feels really solid and not like one of the other torches we had where the handle broke after little use. Press once for 1 LED, twice for 3 LED's and a third time for the 3 to flash. Not sure what use the flashing light is but if you need it, it is there.

The light is quite good even considering that it is only 3 LED's. We can happy see where we are going even when it is pitch black outside.

We liked the torch so much we have now ordered another 3, One as a gift and the other 2 to put round the house.

We are very pleased with them and would recommend them.
on 2 February 2011
I really like this little torch, it does fit in the pocket of my work trousers but would be a bit bulky for others being that it is around 5.5 inches long and 2.5 inches at its widest point (reflector), solidly made, it would put up with a few knocks.

The front and back ends if the torch are enclosed in a soft grip plastic additional to the main plastic body, with a strip running down each side making it very comfortable in the hand plus providing extra protection in the event of it being dropped.

The solar panel is slightly recessed making it safe from most accidents, i have not tried it out as yes due to the time of year (Winter) but no doubt it will charge as specfied when the sun does eventually shine again.

One thing which would be useful is a foldaway stand for the torch, maybe the manufacturers could change the design of the generator handle to be used both ways. Food for thought possibly.

Battery seems excellent, i have used this every evening since purchase and only wound the charging handle once so far. You do not need to use much effort to charge the unit, the generator handle is also solidly constructed and will probably out last the torch battery, it also tucks away quite well.

One thing that is a slight negative in my opinion is the three position switch, i have had other torches with a flashing light but never ever used it, so it seems a bit pointless to me and makes for an additional press on the switch before you can turn the torch off, which annoys me slightly.

For a LED torch the beam is not bad but you cannot compare it to a filament bulb, for instance, if you have two objects one black and one white the beam will only pick out the white one and not the other, whereas a filament bulb will pick out both.
This is just due to the caracteristics of the led bulb which tends to produce an even light over a given area rather than a concentrated beam as with a filament bulb, but the manufacturers have designed the reflectors well so as to concentrate the beam of the bulbs as much as possible.

When using the light on the low setting you have just enough light to illuminate a small piece of ground in front of you when walking but the second press of the switch does illuminate the ground for qute a large area, so it is acceptable.

All in all its a good torch and if it lasts well i would probably buy another.

20-10-2012
Just thought i would update this review as it has been sometime since i first purchased it.
For some reason. out of the various torches and hand lamps i own, this is the one i always pick up if i need to use a torch, the battery has proved excellent and although i tend to forget to charge it during summertime, there is always enough power to do what i want with it on dark winter evenings when it probably gets its first charge for some months, the winding handle is still attached proving how well it has been manufactured.

Although the makers tell you to chuck the torch away when the battery eventually fails, i have done a bit of research and batteries are available on the net, so it look like this little gem will be with me for years to come.

The other nice thing is that the makers even give you instructions on how to remove the battery before disposal so even if you are not techie minded, battery replacement is a straightforward job.
on 7 January 2010
I have to admit I'm always dubious about buying things like this online because you can't feel the weight and solidity of the object, something you imagine is going to be real quality is in fact light and shoddily made. Well my fears were unjustified I'm glad to say, this torch feels heavy, solid and durable. It has a rubbery grip so it feels firm in your hand and the wind up handle doesn't feel like you might snap it off. The lights themselves are bright and effective and have different settings including a flashing mode. This is the kind of torch you want on a rainy night changing a car tyre or putting up a tent. All in all I'm glad I made the purchase and urge anyone else to invest in this quality torch, it has hardware written all over it.
11 Comment| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 November 2012
I like this as it is pocket sized, reliable and versatile. It is both solar and wind up rechargeable. It is also largely waterproof, which is handy in rainy Ireland and with a rubberized exterior, very drop proof. I keep it by my bedside, in my backpack or in my coat pocket. I will probably be getting a few more as batteries are such a hassle and expense.
on 24 October 2013
So far the only really durable wind-up flashlight I have tried, having seen others too lightweight and one heavy-duty even snap, and also blessed with solar recharging cells too. This has done fine through now over a year of wet, cold and heavy usage. My only quibbles would be adding better grip on the handle to allow for easier unlocking, and a straight on-off action rather than cycling through two power and flashing modes (the obvious way to accomplish which would be setting mode independently of on-off switch). Adequate light, additional solar recharging, waterproof, shockproofed, and, above all, tough.