VINE VOICEon 11 April 2010
You become good at what you practice.

I have read a few Richard Denny books and he admits that there is no original material in there but like most basics it is still true and we still need to do it.

I would claim that the difference between winners and losers is down to two things which he has set out in this book.

Chapter 5 Time your greatest resource.

Chapter 7 goals: the purpose of life

I am always amazed by a lot of people who I deal with who try to give the impression that they are big shots in their area of endeavour but seem to have time to grind over the most minor details.They write lengthy emails about nothing in particular question this and that without progressing the matter.

He says the biggest cause of stress is mismanagement of time and I have to agree. Piles of paperwork build up without taking action or decisions being made.

I meet and deal with people who think they are perfectionists and will take too long in making unimportant decisions.

I put this down to what he says which is lack of training.They are then expected to manage, lead and motivate without being trained how to do so.

Time management is easy if you follow his list

1 Compile the list the night before
2 During the day tick off the items
3 Adhere to your list
4 Prioritise and do the nasty job first
5 Deal with interruptions effectively.

I hear the complaint form alot of people that they do not have enough time but if you watch them they do not have any sort of recognisable system and the are always looking for the same information that they have mislaid. It is difficult to take them seriously.

The other chapter is goal setting

1 Your goals must be ambitious but achievable
6 Carry with you your list of goals
7 Be flexible when planning your goals
8 Give up things that are barriers to your goals
9 Be careful with whom you share your goals
10 Start to visualize your goals.

These two chapters alone are worth the price of the book as they are the most effective..

My only complaint, no index they are very easy to produce these days with computers. laziness by the publisher.I don't know if he said it in this book but I think if was Richard Denny who said You get good at what you practice. If you practice bad habits you become good at those if you practice good habits you become good at those.

The sort of book you can constantly revisit but you have to carry out the advice which is worth its weight in gold. It works for me.
on 18 February 2017
I learned a great deal from this book and will go back to it for reference in the future.
It is full of the advice we see as common sense or feel we know but importantly do not practice consistently.

Three things I have taken from it are

Do not chase money but chase success and money will follow.

Save first and spend later together with spending less than you make.

Spend quality time with your loved ones and see the company of successful and positive people or feel the effect of environmental conditioning.
on 28 August 2013
I've bought a few of these 'success type ' books now and the book itself is a good read. However, in my opinion, they all seem to be based on the 'Think & Grow Rich' theme. After reading so many of these books over the years, I've come to the conclusion that is the only book you need (in my opinion!). My only other advice is that you have to read the book a number of times (and I don't mean just 2 or 3 times!).
on 6 July 2013
If, like me, you truly believe in self-coaching as an essential tool in one's journey towards enrichment and fulfilment, then this may be the book for you.

It's easy to read and digest, it encourages reflection and action in the right places, and is - I believe - relevant to all readers who are looking to improve their "lot". The great thing about the book, too, is that it really doesn't focus on materialism, but rather is about holistic development.

Highly recommended.
on 9 January 2018
I read several Richard Denny's books and I always found something very important for me. Thank you very much!
on 31 July 2013
Full of good tips and advice. I am female in my lat 70s but still found it a useful read and will certainly read again. Would recommend giving this as a gift to grandchildren just starting out in life . Does not talk down to the reader and the contents are well set out. I don't hesitate to recommend it to anyone who is interested in handling their affairs be it money or otherwise.
on 10 August 2013
Many years ago when i was a poor and an up and coming salesman !!!!!!! Richard was one of the first speakers to inspire me on how to make money ......a true professional ....thanks Richard ....warmest regards ...
on 16 July 2013
This is a great book and I thoroughly recommend it - in fact after I bought a copy for my Kindle and read it, I bought another hardback copy for my sister to read, I liked it that much!
on 31 July 2013
I have read many coaching books and find that although much of the information is the same, I learn something from each book. This book is easy to read and understand and I would recommend it.
on 21 August 2013
Succeed for yourself is a very good book if you want information in terms of self improvement. Easy to follow techniques and a great starting point for anyone looking to build towards success.