on 22 July 2012
I was a bit skeptical about this computer but was proven wrong after opening the box, charging it and connecting to the internet which it did with ease.
Camera works fine.Battery life is good so far. I have no complaints about it. Speed is good but would caution that if you are expecting a high speed performing machine, then go in for something else.
It slips into my pocket easily as if it was a tablet. Ideal to carry out and about. I connected an external DVD writer and it worked straight away.
Comes ready with Skype and McAfee 2 months free antivirus protection.
Great gadget.
Would recommend.
94 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 11 November 2012
Item arrived very quickly and well packaged as expected from Amazon - no surprises there.
Whilst it is a nicely presented machine with a better than expected display quality and of course an HDMI out port; when using the machine generally, and especially using Internet Explorer, it just seemed to lack zip and there was noticeable latency when moving between websites.
Having read some reviews and also having seen the strip down procedure on YouTube, I decided to upgrade the RAM to 2Gb - MUCH better! The machine is now a lot more responsive and is a joy to use. The HDMI out works well and hooks up nicely to a TV and the battery life is quite good - although I did get a completely dead machine when the battery had run out and despite being connected to the charger, it failed to charge or turn on until I disconnected it from the charger and physically removed the battery. I then re-inserted the battery and reconnected it to the charger and it booted up just fine - it's also been OK since ...
I feel Acer are pushing their luck with 1Gb equipped machines running Windows 7 .... so buy a 2Gb version or be prepared to spend a tenner on a 2Gb RAM DIMM and fit it yourself.
56 people found this helpful
|33 Comments|Report abuse
on 27 October 2012
Firstly, a note about Amazons strange pricing policy. I really wanted a Blue or Black version but noticed that they weren't all the same price. The White one was actually more than £30 cheaper than the others. Since functionality is all the same and £30 saving is more money for another toy, I went for the white one.

After the machine arrived I took another look at the pricing and found that Black was the cheapest and the White more expensive. Who says we buy what we really want instead of what Amazon wants us to. Still a great fan of Amazon though.

Now, this is the second netbook in the same series that I've bought. My first one got commandeered after my wife started to use it and I couldn't get a look in. So I got my own - which is actually better than hers, so there.

There's a slight change in spec from the previous model, mainly in that this version has a Dual Core Processor and different Graphics Engine; a higher capacity hard drive; and an HDMI output ( although I haven't tried this yet and not sure if Windows 7 Starter supports it).

The 1Gbyte memory it comes with isn't really enough so I bought a 2Gbyte module and fitted this. The instructions are the same as in my previous review.

It's certainly noticeably snapper in use than my wife's machine - YES!!! other than that its much the same. Didn't come with Android as the previous machine but that's no great loss in my opinion.

I bought this instead of an iPad or other tablet for a number of reasons. Cost is obviously one but a machine that functions just like a desktop PC and will run virtually all the software that I have on my workstation was very appealing. And a real keyboard and no annoying - sent from my iPad messages in my emails.

As a photographer I needed something onto which I could download Gigabytes of image data that results from a trip, plus I can geotag, organise the images and rate them ready to transfer to the workstation on return. I also control my camera from this to produce timelapse videos. FYI I'm running Adobe Lightroom, GBTimelapse and Geosetter. Obviously not as fast as the workstation but a workflow I'm familiar with and a seamless transition on return.

The screen is sharp and bright - I wouldn't use it for image processing though. The viewing angle is much less than my laptop or workstation but does prevent people reading your screen if they are sitting next to you on a plane for example.

Keyboard is a little small but I can make just the same mistakes as I do on a full size keyboard - probably using less fingers.

Touchpad is Ok but not that smooth a surface to slide around on. The gesture functions (a tablet thing) don't work that well so I'll probably forget all about them.

All in all another great machine
18 people found this helpful
on 28 October 2012
It does..what no tablet can, no ipad,no nexus,no nothing!
it has vga port(still standard for most projectors,and tablets don't have it),hdmi, lan, mic, usb ports, it has win7, you can install all programs,for full use, like ms office, adobe suites, etc, download legal torrents with utorrent, etc, things that NO TABLET comes even close...its perfect for mobility,presentations,surfing,movies, 8 hours battery, you can do everything you do with
normal computers or expensive laptops, except high end gaming! so..netbooks still outdo tablets in my opinion for price/value choices in general(except for the quality of the screen, but that also depends on the model of either netbooks or tablets!).
20 people found this helpful
on 10 January 2013
Got this for my son who has Aspergers, he can be careless and I was concerned so opted for cheapest option available, well it arrived super quick, but when I opened it I was pure jelous lol, what a lovely piece of kit! and my laptop is such an old croc, I actually concidered keeping it for myself, so smart and light, so anyway I figured its probably slow and not so great when I turn it on, but I was dissapointed there too, because it wasnt slow and does everything better and faster than my own laptop, why oh why did I give it to my son? 8 years old and he has a better machine by far than me, a cheap option turned into a great option.
With aspergers he cannot cope with too much stuff, but seeks knowledge like most kids do sweets (yes he loves sweets too) so this was a bit of a "should I shouldnt I" situation, but he loves the thing, he googles his questions now instead of asking me, and then comes and lectures me on comets, asteroids, the big bang, burnt out stars and why we still see them even though they are no longer there, geology, you name it, he now has the answers at his fingertips, and that was money well spent.
So really Im saying its a great price for a product I would have been very very happy with myself, but I gave it to my son, going to have to save up and get one for me now, just hope they are still available, fantastic machine.
Oh ya and he can play games on it too.
3 people found this helpful
on 7 February 2013
Bought the machine in the full knowledge (40+ years in IT) that it was underpowered so also bought an upgrade of RAM to 2BG (from 1GB supplied). Installing RAM meant removing the keyboard and in so doing the connection to the motherboard (very fragile so beware) broke off. Replaced RAM easily (why don't they just supply it with 2GB of RAM to start with) and machine booted up rapidly but with no keyboard was not useable so sent it back to Acer in Plymouth in the UK for which I paid in excess of £50 to cover collection and delivery both directions plus their analysis of the problem (which I had already analysed). Instead of soldering back the keyboard it seems it is easier to replace the entire motherboard (hey ho, we now live in a disposable world) which cost me in excess of £70. SO for a machine of less than £200 I had to pay out £120+ to get it working satisfactorily.
Got it back after only 3 weeks (they had to wait for a new motherboard ... surprising for a service organisation and I had to chase them to get it back that quickly) and it worked well. But it was for the wife and she prefers a mouse to the mousepad so connected a mouse via a USB and deactivated the mousepad. Wife had enormous difficulty typing in anything so I sat and watched carefully. The problem happened when her right hand touched the computer to the right of the mousepad, so to stop it happening I put a post-it on that area... not a permanent fix but pro tem it works. Then started to get a message that I was running an illegal version of Windows 7. Looked into it and after analysing the problem discovered that in replacing the motherboard Acer had not married the new motherboard to the Microsoft database, so I had to do it and now it works OK.
EXCEPT I now have this bit of paper to stop the contact with the carcase of the machine which made it almost unusable! I should send it back to Acer .... but pay another £50 for them to analyse the problem and then more to get it fixed? I think not. I may, if I did this, end up paying more in repairs than I paid for the original machine!
So, Acer, here is a thought. Put 2GB of RAM in as standard. Remove all bloatware (yes, I spent a long time doing that myself and if people really WANT kiddies games then they can load them) and when you do repairs test the machine thoroughly.
I now wish I had bought a Asus as my son who is even more clued up then I am about these things recommended. Would I buy another Acer. No. But it's not the fault of the machine, just the basic design and the after sales service. Someone penny pinching by installing 1GB of RAM when for pence they could have fitted 2GB (or more) of RAM.
on 10 May 2013
Cheap and exactly what you'd expect from that. Only comes with 1 GB Ram. The upgrade to 2 GBs RAM is absolutely necessary as it freezes all the time. It only costs £8 to upgrade so why is this not the standard? Swapping the RAM yourself is very difficult compared to previous models. You literally have to dismantle the entire machine, probably voiding any warranty. Now the laptop does not go back together quite correctly, the internal speakers do not work and the power connector is loose. All for the sake of saving me £8. Not impressed with the design at all.

From the first time I shut the laptop down there have been software problems. It takes ages to boot. I recommend re-installing Windows XP if you can. This laptop in not capable of running any newer operating product.

A great shame as the previous model lasted me ages. I recommend spending a little more on a different make with more RAM or an easy access RAM slot.
on 4 December 2012
Bought this for my 16 year old daughter so that she didn't need to keep nicking my laptop for her 'homework'!

I read reviews here and elsewhere and this seemed to be the best around for the price, despite many who complained about the lack of speed.

It's a nice piece of kit, very smart looking (I got the white one and said daughter loves it) and has everything you need for run of the mill computer use. However, with the installed 1GB of RAM it is slow - particuarly for web browsing.

I waited for a few weeks to see how it went, but my daughter did complain of it being slower than she was used to, had to wait for web pages to upload, and word documents to open, and it even locked up a few times, and it has only been used for web and word/excel stuff.

So I took the plunge and ordered a 2GB RAM card, having seen a good YouTube video from a nice Indian guy showing how to open up the Netbook and install the new RAM. It looks tricky and it was with a bit of trepidation that I opened up the netbook, removing the keyboard etc..., but it only took me 10-15 mins max, and we now have a netbook that runs at much more acceptable speeds - not fast, but enough for the use it gets.

Why they don't do these machines at a standard 2GB RAM I can't understand, especially when it only cost me about £8 for the upgrade!

Would I recommend this netbook - YES. It's great value (got ours for only £180 - Amazon change the price almost daily!) and a nice machine, but I'd definitely recommend you get the 2GB upgrade...
4 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 4 November 2012
The negative reviewer of this product has obviously tried to install security software on top of the free sample which comes with this Excellent product.I`ve had it just under a month,i am used to a pc so chose this over the ever more popular Tablets and i have no regrets as it`s worked perfectly for my needs.Someone at work told me to use Mozila Firefox as my web browser,although it took a little getting used to after being stuck on Internet Explorer for so long,it`s alot faster so i`ll be sticking with it.My only gripe is the so-called 8 hour battery life(you can buy it with 4 or 8),it`s never 8 hours but still enough life on the go for my needs.Highly recommended & i presume the battery life issue would be the same with all other makes of this type of device.4 1/2 stars.
One person found this helpful
on 7 November 2012
This is a great little machine. Very good for surfing the net for general purposes.I find the keyboard, though a bit smaller than a full size one is very easy and comfortable to use. I've no idea if it would be any use for gaming or downloading/viewing videos as I don't want to use it for that. It is a tad slower than my bigger laptop which runs Windows 7 home Premium. I have fitted the additional 1Gb memory (replaced existing 1GB with a 2GB) as recommended by other reviewers and this has speeded things up somewhat. There were no problems doing this. (I followed the on line video) I may have invalidated my guarantee doing this but the machine definately runs faster.