TOP 100 REVIEWERon 4 February 2014
The first moment I put my hands on my kindle (keyboard) many years back, I came to the conclusion that this must be humanity's greatest achievement after ice cream. This was a gift for a friend who liked my kindle keyboard very much.
Comparing the two, I cannot see too many differences between the reading experience. Yes, this screen is whiter than mine and the contrast is better and it doesn't refresh after each page but in terms of usability are very close.
The built quality is the obvious improvement as mine seems a lot cheaper when compared to this one. It's light, the battery lasts for ages, very very easy to use if you pair it up with Calibre and comfortable to hold in your hand.
I also like the fact that amazon maintained this product as an ebook reader and didn't fall into the trap that so many manufacturers and designers jump in these days: let's put a camera, and bluetooth, and apps and stuff. Moreover, Amazon decided to strip it down even further - this generation of Kindles doesn't have speakers, keyboard and audiobooks features and so on... compared to the previous generation - all the better.
So yes, I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys reading and only reading.

P.S.: I do recommend getting a proper cover for it which you can get for as little as £10.

Please let me know if you have any questions.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 16 April 2014
Two years ago I bought a Kobo Touch which I also think does the job that a book reader does perfectly. At the time I was hoping for a Kindle Fire, but it seemed to be late getting to the UK market and I gave up waiting. The Fire had been out in the US several months before it hit the UK. So I shopped around and got the best offer for touch screen on a Kobo. So this is why I ended up with the Kobo rather than Kindle at that time.

I bought the Kindle for my wife, who is not such a big reader, because of the now competitive price and also gives me the opportunity to compare the two products.

OK one has a touch screen, one doesn't. But realistically this is the only difference on the actual mechanics of the reader.

If at a later date I was to upgrade my reader, I would go with either, depending on what deals were available.
on 23 November 2013
If you read other reviews they are pretty accurate. There are a couple of things people should be aware of past this products guarantee now that I and my partner have found as we approach our second year with one each.
Firstly, it is a very complicated process if you buy one as a gift and want to put some books on it. You automatically
Y have it registered as your kindle and on your account. It then takes time and additional hassle to have that kindle changed to anothers. Contact Amazon first and they will guide you seamlessly through the process.
Secondly, my partners kindle only has had use occasionally as real books are still the favourite at home. The kindle only being used for the odd train journey and holiday once a year which usually happen together except for approximately 3 journeys pet year. Now the WiFi does not work, circuitry failed and no downloads are possible. This means that a manual doiwnload of books via computer USB is the only way to add new books. If you ask Amazon how to fix it they advise it's not possible and offer you info on new ones.
So although my own kindle is still OK I expect it also to fail to download via WiFi soon as its only 2 months older.
on 17 October 2013
I received my Kindle as a gift Christmas 2012, so it's almost a year old and works perfectly as new.

When I first heard about the kindle, I wasn't too sure (I'm huge book fan who loves the feel of an actual book), I thought the eReader was a great idea, but due to personal preference, I wasn't too sure about owning/using one.
But receiving one at Christmas changed my mind. It's a great simple little device that's easy to use. It's lightweight, and does exactly what it was designed for - perfect eReader! Now, don't get me wrong, I haven't completely reverted to using this and getting rid of my books - still can't beat an actual book, but I use my Kindle a lot more than I thought I would. There's over 30 books currently on my Kindle and plenty of room for hundreds more so it's more convenient and easier to carry round if I wanted to read on the go (ie, travelling to work, or going on holiday). Also, it's an excellent shelf-space saver!

Overall, this is a great little device, does exactly what you'd expect. And it does only that. No extra nonsense that's not needed.
As it was a gift, it was free (obviously), but if it wasn't then it's definitely worth the money (but it's not exactly expensive is it? It's the cheapest one here!)

I'd definitely recommend this!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 25 November 2012
This review is from: Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi (Previous Generation - 5th) (Electronics)
I'm totally untechnical; don't even possess a mobile. However I have 2 dilemmas
A) My house is full to bursting with far too many books; no space for any more.
B) Finances mean I've got to spend far less on this hobby.
So yesterday I did the unthinkable and went high-tech; I bought a kindle basic.

CONNECTION
This was absolute hell and if you're buying one for a bookish older person you should absolutely be around to plumb it in for them. After umpteen frustrating attempts to link to my Amazon account, when it refused my password (I've held this account for years) it suddenly and inexplicably took it. I tried the Kindle support line initially, but as this is just a phone line that costs £1.53 a minute(!) didn't pursue it.

SAVINGS ON BOOKS
Bear in mind that many of the latest and most 'desirable' books are not much cheaper than a paperback (and if you can get them secondhand - many Amazon books are 1p + £2.80 pp - this works out much dearer). And of course with a physical book you can lend it. Or give it to charity once you're done with it.
The joy for me is that you can access weird and wonderful old books free of charge. My library doesn't even hold many of these; they tend to be available in reprinted versions at about £10 from 'printed to order' companies like Dodo. Suddenly all free! And there's thousands of other old classics too...
Note that not all books by any means are available on Kindle (even at a price). Looking at my shelves full of Virago classics and Persephone editions, I dont have the option of replacing them all with Kindle and minimizing the library. In most cases it's a book or nothing.

EASE OF DOWNLOADING AND OPERATING
Once you're plumbed in, you just buy your book off Amazon as normal, get your email of acknowledgement (showing in my case a zero balance) and lo and behold your book's on the menu of your Kindle. Reading is easy, you click a button on the right to turn the page (or another one just above to turn back.) If you switch it off, it's on the same page when you turn it back on. It switches itself off if you leave it too long.

I haven't fiddled with it enough to suss all its tricks, but I've just finished a short book and DIDN'T feel I needed the more expensive 'paperwhite' version. I had a lamp on and that was sufficient.

CONCLUSION
If you're a selective reader like me, who wants specific- sometimes unusual - books, this isn't a 100% answer. You'll still need the library; and to purchase the unavailable ones. However it goes a long way to saving money and space in cluttering up the house with things I'll only read once. I think I prefer real books (but to be fair I'm new to Kindle) - you can read them in the bath or while you're eating - but I plan to make good use of this purchase which I think will soon pay for itself.

PS: DOES IT LAST?
I've had it (not really used it a lot altho' downloaded lots of books!) for about 4 yrs. A couple of months back I noticed a splodge of 'e ink' in corner which obscured text. I found putting it on largest font I could just about read. But now (after keeping it untouched in a drawer) I note the splodge has spread, like a fungus, to cover 50% of screen. I'm currently torn between getting another and giving up and gradually replacing titles with real books instead....
PPS Chucked it out, had a splurge on hard copy versions of the best lost downloads ...shan't try it again.
on 1 April 2014
I purchased this basic Kindle approximately a year ago and so far I haven't had any problems. It's cheap, but good quality, like other Kindle products. Also, I believe that Amazon have a far larger variety of products than that of other companies such as iTunes and has very good delivery.

There are a large amount of books including best selling novels and some that are slightly less well known. Only certain novels can't be found and have to be purchased as a paper copy. Some of these books include: Very old, obscure and some very old/obscure educational fiction and non-fiction.
on 29 May 2014
This kindle is perfect for me, its simple and easy to use. it has buttons control to navigate through books, pages and menu etc. I'm not a touch screen fan, so this suits me fine .One of the things I like best about my kindle is the no glare, I'm short sighted so I have to look after my sight. In the past I have used the kindle app on my tablet to read books but the glare from the tablet gave me headaches and eye strains. This is why I chose the simple kindle rather than the kindle fire etc that are similar to tablets.
on 10 November 2013
I received this as a gift. I love it. The fact you don't have to carry loads of books with you, they are all on this small, light weight screen is amazing. I'm not sure why I didn't have one before now.

I took mine on holiday with me, and found it really easy, I love the fact it can just slip into your bag but has no extra weight. It isn't bulky and is so easy to use. I also love the fact I was able to read while sitting in the sun for ages and there was no glare at all.

Seriously would recommend to anyone who is an avid reader, hates carrying loads of book around with you and hates trying to see in the sunny weather.
on 3 June 2014
After my Kindle Keyboard broke, this was the best alternative I could have.

I love the convenience of using a kindle. I have a lot of books I want to read and I am often travelling. The customisability of it is really useful as I enjoy smaller fonts.

The contrast is good in most lights and the screen rarely blinds you. The loading times between pages is slower than I would like it to be; however, I understand that this cannot be helped. It's a shame that it doesn't have the external keyboard and headphone socket like the Kindle Keyboard had, as I found that it was really useful.

I love this device despite the complaints I have.
on 3 January 2013
I love my Kindle. It is the easiest technical product I have ever had. My mum really struggles with technology and even she has no problems using her Kindle. I download books within seconds and there are also some great free books too. I know a lot of people have said they have had to replace their Kindles, but mine is just over a year old and touch wood it hasn't missed a beat. I got the 2 year guarantee to be on the safe side. It is so light weight and easily fits in my small handbag ready at hand whenever I want it. I have recommended the Kindle to many people.