on 7 November 2012
The kindle; e reader = A great invention I am on my 2nd Kindle now, I never read hardback/paperback books anymore, these e readers are so light and much more comfortable to use, can't recommend them enough.
on 15 August 2013
It's a dream really. Easy to navigate, easy to use, thoughtful design. Yes you need a light but you dont strain your eyes because there's no LCD (I recommend the Kandle as it doesnt impede the text). It's simple but so useable. I wish I had switched sooner as mine is coming with me everywhere! Of course you'll never beat that lovely fresh page smell of a new book, or the musty wonder of an old book, but for portability, ease of use and volume of books you can read on the go/anywhere you like really, I cannot fault it. Love love love it.
on 31 October 2013
I am a book purist loving the feel & weight of a new book to read.I resisted the Kindle for a long time.A voucher for £20 off Kindle (for buying so many books from Amazon) I ordered it.I opened it after a week downloaded Dracula to read.I am pleasantly surprised by the lightweight Kindle no glare on screen a real bonus.Its great to pick up the Kindle & instantly go to my last page read.Ive even talked my mom into getting one! I like it for being light weight easy to use & practical for trips away.I still enjoy books to hold & read thou
on 3 July 2014
i loved, loved my first 2 Kindles, the versions with a keyboard (very easy to use and navigate around) and after my second Kindle died i purchased my third Kindle just before my holiday this year, Kindle Paperwhite 3 G top of the range and am very diasppointed. The battery runs down really quickly, because i suppose you can't turn off 3G and wifi capability easily (had to look on a dummies guide to turn off onto airplane mode !) and the device is constantly looking for them, as you could on the previous versions - i had to charge the Kindle THREE times when on 2 weeks holiday - not at all like the original Kindle where the charge could last 4 weeks (even with constant reading). Books appear on my cloud, that bear absolutely no relation to what i like to read - so completely random choices - and how do you get rid of them - as soon as you touch them, they download. it was a waste of money to buy the 3G version, especially now where wifi is so readily available. of course, with the Kindle you don't have to carry loads of books with you on holiday, so i will continue to use my Kindle, but am not as satisfied with the product as i have been in the past. i had thought that with my first Kindles - so marvellous - i know that when i have to replace this one when it breaks as it will inevitably will - i will NOT buy the top of the range and be as enthusiastic about the product as i have been in the past
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 November 2014
As an avid reader when a child I've struggled to find the time as an adult among all the distractions and 'screens' everywhere. My Kindle was bought as a gift for me which I hoped would prove the perfect combination of tech and book to get me back into using my brain a bit more!

It honestly doesn't disappoint and, as others have said, while this generation of Kindle can seem a bit clunky to navigate with it's limited buttons and on-screen keyboard the real magic is how the device itself melts away once you're into a good read. Any logistical trauma encountered in getting to the book of your choice is incidental and soon forgotten. For most users, including myself, this is in any case limited to simply choosing from your list of installed content which you are more likely to have bought via PC or tablet and had sent to your Kindle wirelessly via Whispersync rather than struggling through purchasing with the built-in browser. There is of course that option there though if you want it or are away from home.

In summary, it seemed odd at first to have something with a screen that isn't a touchscreen. If you must have that then the new Kindle is for you but whichever you choose from the range available the thing to remember is it's about getting reading and the Amazon ecosystem that makes that happen. The Kindle is a part of this that performs so well you won't notice it's there.
on 9 April 2014
A great little reader. No touch screen, but it is so light and clear. I take it with me everywhere. It was priced so reasonably and it is secure in a nice little case.Why would I buy books any other way.
on 2 August 2014
Am (was) a real book lover! Love to hold a new book, smell a new book, keep all my books clean and stored to re-read at a later date. Wasn't sure about the Kindle, but I LOVE IT and wouldn't go back to reading and storing numerous paperbacks. It's so easy to download books, you don't have to wait for one to be delivered, you NEVER run out of a good read, light to handle, easy to pack, you can take it anywhere. Wouldn't be without it. Just get a bit frustrated when all of a sudden it needs re-charging!!! when I wanted to read!
on 15 September 2013
Got it for my youngest daughter. Both my children now have a kindle and love them. Couldn't ask for a better item to encourage them to read and allow them to have hundreds of books at their fingertips.
on 15 September 2013
I love my kindle -light and portable. I only ever download free books and in the last 18 months have read 170 books and still have another 750 downloaded to read :)
So I bought this one for my son!
on 30 May 2014
I chose this rating, not because the product was no good but because I had to buy a replacement for my original Kindle. I had to buy a replacement because the charging port dis-integrated and access to support in fitting a new port.

I still have the original Kindle in parts and have purchased a new port, however, I am having difficulty in getting the mother-board out of the Kindle in order to fit the new one.

Do you have instructions to help me carry out this operation?

regards