on 15 April 2012
It's fair to say I use a totally different set of criteria when reviewing my hunky highlander books than I do for any of my other genres. Really, I'm just looking to fall a little bit in love, or at the very least, enjoy watching the two main characters fall in love. And in this book, I got just that.

They are two very likeable main characters as well. You've got Clarrisa, illegitimate but acknowledged daughter of the late King of England, and you have Broen, the young, recently appointed Laird of the MacNicols clan. Both had their merits; Clarrisa was strong emotionally after the awful upbringing she'd received. It seemed no one really knew what to do with someone of royal blood that should on the one hand be respected, but as a bastard, was also to be sneered at. So it seemed they ostracised her quite a bit and this formed the incredible character we meet in this book, as she's about to be married off, or sold off is probably more accurate, to the King of Scotland who hopes to create ties to England with the marriage and to hopefully therefore prevent any future attacks.

Broen was a much more simple character but no less endearing. He is an attractive man and as such has a certain way with the ladies, but since the death of his father and being made the new Laird, hasn't really given the lasses much of his time. Until the feisty Clarissa stumbles into his lap of course. I really enjoyed watching Broen's playfulness. Enticing Clarissa into letting him steal a kiss, then further challenging her to kiss him back. It was all quite heady stuff. Their relationship was totally believable and I even shed a few tears right at the end at the seemingly awful situation they faced.

My only complaint would be that as much as I enjoyed the chase, the teasing and the hot smexy times, I just wish they had gotten to the love stage a bit earlier on. I felt like they had only just reached the point of understanding their feelings when the book ended. I believe if that point had been brought forward a little, the stressful part at the end would have had even more impact.

That said, I really enjoyed reading this and will add Mary Wine to my ever-increasing and growing larger by the second list of good hunky highlander writers.

4 Stars! ''''
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 6 April 2012
Clarrisa illegitimate daughter to King Edward of England, has been sent to Scotland to become the mistress of the Scottish King. With no promise of marriage, Clarrisa is to be no more than a Broodmare. James III wants a son, hoping to usurp his legitimate heir. But Clarrisa is determined to escape. But instead she is captured by Laird Broen MacNichols, and taken to his keep in the highlands.
I do not want to say anymore about this as so much happens it would be too easy to give the story away. What I will say is that this is a wonderful story, filled with fabulous characters that come alive on the page. Clarrisa is a very determined and brave young woman, and compliments the hero Broen. There are a full cast of side characters who are very well developed, I am hoping that some of these other sexy highlanders will be getting their own stories. If you are looking for a story that is passionate and romantic, with plenty of action and intrigue, then you need look no further. A fabulous book my congratulations to Ms.Wine, she certainly knows this period in history, the attention to detail is brilliant. Highly recommend.
on 29 August 2013
A good read, keeps you interested, good story, a little corny but enjoyable characters and story line. A little too raunchy at times but very heroic.
on 30 March 2014
Not up to the Hellion bride but a good tale none the less. Great characters and the introduction of several new romances in the early stages, each with three dimensional characters. I particularly want to read More I and Dierdre`s journey.
on 7 September 2014
This tale highlights the fact that women had no rights or say in their future. The plight of this young illegitimate girl, although of Nobel birth, is described with such feeling as is the love that develops between her and the 'savage' highlander who captures her. Looking forward to reading more by this author.
on 25 February 2017
Really good story I could picture the characters as they wooed and tormented each other. Made the girl clarrissa stand up to the harshness of highland men. I couldn't fault it really well written and readers of strong powerful men will love this book.
on 5 October 2014
A lovely romance that captured the period perfectly. Congratulations to the author for a really good piece of writing. The story was very strong and the romance just right.
on 18 August 2014
I loved this book, and would recommend the book to anyone who likes Historical, Scottish books. It certainly deserves the five stars that I have given this story.
on 21 July 2014
Love mary wine's historical books. True they follow the formula of strong scottish hero with feisty heroine but if it works don't change it.
on 10 December 2014
This book had a good story and was great to read. Really enjoyable characters were well portrayed with a good amount of historical facts