on 31 May 2018
When it comes to Shifter books I’m very specific in my likes and dislikes. Mostly, I feel that the whole Alpha male, weak heroine, pack problems etc. has been so many times that honestly, it’s gotten old for me. And that’s why I love the way Suzanne is changing things up.

The heroine, Taryn Warner, is by no means weak. She might be latent (meaning she can’t shift), but her wolf is just below the surface so she still has the strength, speed and agility. In order to make up for the lack of shift, this Alpha female has one hell of a snarky, sassy and no-nonsense attitude that would make Judge Judy proud. There’s just that problem that she’s about to be forcefully mated to a real douchebag, whose only goal is to break her spirit. Charming! As Teryn belongs to her dad’s pack, where he’s Alpha, she can’t get out of the deal.

Trey Coleman is a ruthless Alpha who’s facing a shifter war with his uncle and, in order to survive it he’ll need alliances. Naturally, he does what any red blooded healthy Alpha male would do, he kidnaps a latent Alpha female and strikes a deal with her. The deal is simple: they pretend to be mated. That was she’s isn’t left with the douchebag, and Trey gets an alliance with daddy dearest out of it, so he’ll have the numbers to crush his uncle. And since both Trey and Taryn has lost their true mates there’s no chance they’ll actually bond in their fake mating. Fail proof plan. Right?

Okay, so I’ll be the first one to admit that the plot didn’t blow my mind with it’s originality. What did blow my mind and had me howling with laughter on multiple occasions, was the characters.

Trey is the perfect brooding, selfish, ruthless and so damn swoon worthy Alpha male. On his own, he would be a really annoying character, but with Taryn at his side he’s amazing. With his psycho vibes he’s the kind of guy you really don’t want to piss off and, you definitely don’t want to come between him and his mate, pretend or not!

Taryn is the kind of female lead that had me wishing I could pull off snapping my fingers and say “you go girl”. Though, the fact that I can’t pull it off didn’t stop me from doing it anyway.

The pack is filled with amazingly awesome secondary character. Like Dominic, one of Trey’s enforcers. That man has an endless stream of seriously cheesy comments and bad pickup lines, falling from his lips at all times.

Trey’s old and prudish grandmother, Greta. She and Taryn are constantly engaging in battles of the will and they barely stop to breath, inbetween hurling insults at each other.

So, what else can I say? I can’t recommend this book enough and it’s deserving of 5+ hearts.
on 2 June 2017
I did enjoy this book. However the violence during sexual scenes was very shocking- and don't get me wrong I know that shifters get possessive with mates (I've read properly too many shifter books in my time!) but it was very heavy stuff. The whole you're mine and I'll have you whenever I want and do what ever I want to you, just doesn't sit well with me in this extreme form. But other than that it was a good story and I loved the sassiness of the main female, would recommend if violent sex doesn't affect you .
5 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 2 May 2015
Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars.

I did this backwards and this if the first book I read in the series. Considering it's the fourth one in the Phoenix Pack series that she's released, it actually reads quite well as a stand alone. I didn't feel like I needed to read the first three in order to truly appreciate the book, which definitely helped it's rating in my book.

Okay, let's get this started.

My mum likes to call Paranormal Romances my guilty pleasure reads. I don't. I don't see why I should feel guilty about reading something that makes me happy. This book made me happy, and I see no shame in that.

This book follows a pretty standard PNR formula: Two emotionally scarred people fall deeply in lust with each other; he's a super alpha male with a possessive nature that would result in a restraining order if he were a real person. She is a super sassy, independent woman that don't need no man, but really she does because she's just hurting inside and scared of commitment. Add into the mix the 'other woman' who's trying to cause trouble, interfering friends and family of all kinds, and a vague plot against the shifters that forces them to work together.

There's nothing new here. If you read PNR then you've seen it before. But it's books like these are the reason we read PNR. Let's be honest here; if a guy tried to pin you down and mount you all the while biting and scratching you and growing out the word 'Mine', he'd soon find himself in front of a judge being charged with all kinds of assault. But there's still that little part of you way deep down that finds it kinda hot - so we read about it instead. In the book it is part of a culture where not only is it accepted, but it's expected but, ultimately, it's not real. We're grown women (haha! yeah right) and we know this isn't healthy or acceptable, but books like these allow us to get it out of our system.

I really enjoyed this book. I couldn't put it down. The relationship between Marcus and Roni is hot. What starts out as two people looking to scratch their itch quickly develops into something more and Wright does it .. well .. right. She doesn't force their feelings on them too quickly - this isn't Insta-Love but the jealousy and emotion is correct to what you would expect to be feeling in that situation yourself. The writing might not be of the highest quality and often clichéd, but its easy to read and very fun.

This book has pretty much everything you're looking for in a PNR: action, humour, sassy banter, angst, sexual tension too thick to cut with the sharpest of knives ... definitely worth the read.

Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
2 people found this helpful
on 16 July 2017
Think I've found my new favourite shifter series.
The characters are great the story keeps you reading and it's nice to see the alpha male and alpha female being just that.
Taryn is a latent shifter who agrees to a mating of convienience with alpha male Trey to escape a mating with a typical villain.
The books predictable in that Taryn and Trey discover feelings for each other and become true mates.
There's enough intrigue and betrayal to make a good story with enough hot steamy scenes in between.
It's the first one if the series I have read but I will definitely be buying the rest.
on 3 January 2016
★Review★

You know when you read a book that is so perfectly satisfyingly good your soul just sighs.....?

Well, that was this book.

To say I loved it is an understatement.

I adored the heroine, I made so many notes on my kindle of her dialogue. She is by far one of my favourite ever, if not THE favourite heroine ever. She was funny, strong and just downright awesome.

And Trey was almost as equally as awesome. And together - sublime.

I loved the world the author has developed here, and how she has made seem fresh a quite frankly overdone genre.

Taryn and Trey both had their own issues and vulnerabilities to overcome, and their story to a HEA is not easy at times. But it was an exciting read, and there was not one moment where I skipped ahead or my attention was lost.

This book is hot, funny, exciting and above all made me happy.

★Book Basics★

Genre : - Paranormal Romance
Series : - 1st in the series.
Love triangle? - No
Cheating? - No
HEA? - Yes
Would I read more by this author/or in this series? - Yes
Rating - 5 plus stars
on 24 July 2013
Every now and then I’ll come across a book that really blows me away and this was truly one of them books.

British author Suzanne Wright writes a fantastic and seriously steamy read with Feral Sins. I think this is my first time reading an adult book based around Shifters. Usually it’s always vampires, so I loved every minute of being introduced to the Shifter world. The fact that Suzanne Wright is a UK author makes it all the more special to me, mainly because most of my favourite books are wrote by American authors and, being British myself, it makes me very pleased to have come across another phenomenal UK writer – there really aren’t that many that I’ve come across (so far).

Feral Sins was just A-MAZ-ING. I heard it was good but I wasn’t quite sure what to expect, but I was completely blown away by everything. I loved it that much that I think I need to buy a paperback copy just to have it sitting on my shelf. The story itself oozes with sexual tension, hot and steamy scenes and Trey and the rest of the Phoenix Pack – wow, H.O.T.T hot! I couldn’t believe how easy it was to fall in love with every single (nice) pack member. The banter and humour that came from this book really had me laughing out loud. Taryn – who is a very feisty and dominate female had such a mouth on her. She never held back and really had some fantastic one liners.

But what really made this book shine was Trey and Taryn’s connection. Who would have thought that a deal between two people could turn out to be the best thing that’s ever happened to them? Well it was, and it was so touching to read about. Their story is also raw and very real – it’s painful and sometimes scary but, I love the possessiveness the shifters have over their mates. I know some people won’t agree with me on that but, to be truly loved and be forever with someone, it’s beautiful and, the sex between them is amazing, plain and simple!

I’m excited to see what comes next in the series – I know it’s Dante and Jaime’s story and I can’t wait. I’m hoping Suzanne also plans to write books for my other favourite characters like Dom, Tao and Trick.

In all, I loved Feral Sins and I’d highly recommend you read it, if you’re a fan of this genre. Suzanne Wright has created a gem of a book and I plan on reading more of her work!
One person found this helpful
on 4 December 2017
I found the sex as padding at the detriment of the story.
I got board when yet another a sex scene was coming up thinking ,Oh no, not again...!
there were pages and pages of it.
Could have been so much better I will not be buying any more of her books I saw this on the kindle adds when opening it up no wonder they are pushing it.
I love the Dannika dark stories she has the balance with brilliant story lines.
on 29 November 2012
Taryn is a feisty little latent shifter - in other words her wolf cannot come out. She's been ignored by her father most of her life and now her father is about to force mate her with a male so that he can better clan connections. One day she is kidnapped by the Phoenix Pack, led by Trey Coleman, who's wolf has been known to go rabid without much provocation. However, Taryn's wolf likes Trey and they make a bargain to mate, but not bond. The development of their relationship is hilarious. Throw in an evil grandmother and a couple of Barbie doll wannabees who try to challenge Taryn and you have a really enjoyable story. I get the impression Wright is a bit of a Londoner when she writes "seen" instead of "seeing as" - slightly odd given this book takes place in the US (it was fine in Here be Sexist Vampires because the heroine was a cockney), and some other words used I had to stop and think for a bit. However, it doesn't detract from the overall enjoyment. I would love to see a sequel to this.
3 people found this helpful
on 14 February 2013
This book really is a must for anyone who has fantasies about werewolves. Suzanne Wright has done a great job of writing it.

Our lead Female Taryn is a latent shifter (she cant turn into a wolf) which is extremely embarrasing for her Alpha Father. Her father has arranged a marriage with another alpha, who is sick and twisted and Taryn would rather find ANY way out than mate with him.

Our lead male Trey is Alpha of the Phoenix Pack. He is known to be a feral wolf, meaning that once the anger takes him over its almost impossible for him to stop... even when the target is dead.

They decide to work together in order to get what they both want (for Trey it's an alliance, for Taryn, its out of the arranged mating) but little do they know that fate has its own plan...

The story is filled with twists and turns, and the leads are also very attracted to each other, although neither will admit it to the other. Once they give in there is plenty of hot sexy scenes, including a seriously heated group scene!!! Werewolves do like to share...

Definately a book I will read again - you should read it too...
One person found this helpful
on 23 May 2012
Quite often when you read a self published book, there are a lot of mistakes, the story doesn't flow and you end up being disappointed! Thankfully this book is not in that catergory. The lead female character is sarcastic, vulnerable, tenacious, deep, very funny and athletic (particularly in the bedroom), the lead male is dominant, serious, again very athletic in the bedroom and has had a very tough life. When they get together there are fireworks! Too many times I have started reading books that have strong females at the outset and then as soon as they meet their partner, turn into quivering, submissive idiots and it ruins the book. Taryn thankfully has a very strong personality throughout and you know that she will never compromise her thinking or actions. The bedroom scenes are very graphic and not for the faint hearted, but somehow they seem right in the context of the book (though they can end up making you feeling inadequate). I particularly loved her interactions with Trey's grandmother. Describing this book as fantasy is doing it an injustice, it is so much more than that, its funny, not just chic lit, as far removed from a typical romance novel that you could get, its Mills & Boons for the 21st century with sex portrayed in great detail. It makes you squirm and I would suggest that you don't read it in public as people will want to know why you are blushing or squirming in your seat! Read it you won't be disappointed.
2 people found this helpful