VINE VOICEon 25 June 2012
This pair of DVDs contains all Jean Vigo's other films (notably Zéro de Conduite) as well as several documentaries. The version of L'Atalante is the most complete restoration, released in about 2004 or so. In fact, so far as I can tell from the reviews, this is simply a repackaging of The Jean Vigo Collection (2 disc Collector's Edition) [DVD] at a much lower price.
The main attraction, L'Atalante, is a wonderful film and regularly features high in lists of the all time greatest films, full of humour, tenderness, and superb camera work. The surreal and dreamlike scene between Dita Parlo and Michel Simon is perhaps my favourite, and has stayed with me since I first saw the film in 1991. Of the other films, I particularly enjoyed "A propos de Nice", which I had never seen before, and which, like most of Vigo's work, was far ahead of its time.
I bought this DVD after watching Vigo - Passion For Life [DVD] with my fiancée. That is an excellent companion piece to this collection - it is a dramatised version of Vigo's life, and many of the scenes cleverly echo Vigo's work.
on 4 July 2012
The great Jean Vigo had a sadly short life. He died after making only four films all of which are included in this double-disc package.Only one was full-length - L'Atalante which is one of the great masterpieces of cinema.Like all great films, it rewards repeated viewings and I urge people to watch and watch again. It is difficult to pinpoint him as his films are unlike anyone else's but is one of that select band who can be called poets of the cinema.Its a pity the images have not been remastered but the 2-disc package is nonetheless highly recommended. The extras are outstanding.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 22 February 2013
I'd never seen L'Atalante before I'd bought this set, only heard of it. It always seemed to held in some secret adoration, like a saint. I'd never seen it to be ever actually on TV, either.

I love my World Cinema and am now at that stage of pushing away at the boundaries, towards the lesser known but still accessible and influential movies. This seemed a perfect DVD when looking for a little present for 'myself' - you know the sort - a thank-you to YOU?!

Not just getting the utterly charming and robust - and fast moving - main feature and Vigo's swansong, L'Atalante (named after an old river boat) but also another (shorter, at 41 mins) that I'd seen in listings - Zero de Conduite. Two shorts (A Propose de Nice and Taris; 20mins and 7m, respectively) complete this entire works of Vigo.

Disc 2 is taken up with 6 separate 'Extra's', which include filmmaker's guides, critical examinations of Vigo's films, interviews and galleries. I tend not to be able to get round to watching special extras on all DVDs but I will try and make an exception with this one. As Vigo died at just aged 29, there's hardly going to be any further work from him!

Watching L'Atalante again, it struck me how Vigo occasionally employs to brilliant and a poetic effect the sort of 'trick' photography that I've seen in Jean Cocteau's more affecting and lyrical movies, further enhancing the scope and breadth of this lovely film.
on 4 September 2014
L'Atalante is perfection. Even if the other films were duff (which they are not, though not quite on the same level), this would be a 5-star package. Inovative, daring, moving, and funny, this sublime movie is rightly held as one of the best movies ever. Try it (and it is really reasonably priced, thanks Amazon!).
on 3 August 2014
L'Atalante is wonderful for its incisive observation of human behavior. There is some very good acting (serious and comic), and the famous ground breaking underwater scene. This is a film I have watched several times over the years, and will continue to watch as I love the portrayal of human emotion.
on 13 March 2014
This is a truly magical film. One I've always been aware of but never seen. A simple story but with incredible cinematography and wonderful characterisation. Any lover of cinema or art should own this.
on 26 April 2014
Vigo's films are subtle and seemless; like being hit by a million feathers, the films are warm, comforting and the realism is as pertinent today as it was then. Great characterisation and entertaining film narratives.
on 26 August 2016
classic treasure with great extras
on 30 March 2015
I like it and will watch it again but that is all I can say at the moment.
on 9 November 2014