on 19 August 2013
I bought this for my four year old grandson who is pretty good with his hands but it is too advanced as yet for him to do much with on his own. However my son has been showing him what to do and is sure it is something he will grow into and use
on 30 May 2013
Just enough pieces to keep little hand occupied. My 3 yo hasn't had a great deal of use out of it so far as a bit fiddly, but he is fascinated by the pieces and because he can't do it ALL himself first off, he gets a little frustrated, and boy, he won't let you show him! But I really think he will get a lot out of it as he keeps coming back to it to try
on 12 December 2014
I bought this toy for my 2 year old grandson as he loves 'fixing' things (his project at the moment is trying to take the stairgate off with a toy saw) It is lovely to see him sitting at a table with my husband using the nuts, bolts and building blocks - my husband assembles the toy and then Elliot takes them apart - the concentration on his face is a joy. The kit is made of a good quality wood very soft to handle and no rough edges and the colours make it more interesting. I would not hesitate in recommending this for a present for any child who loves construction as the parts are easy to hold in their tiny hands. I required a part which we had lost in some packaging and Toys of Wood helped with my enquiry speedily.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 19 November 2013
I've always loved wooden toys. Children are very drawn to any tactile experience, and I have often observed the calming effect of just feeling and touching a natural object like a real wooden toy. Of course we have plenty of plastic toys too, but there is really nothing that matches the pleasure of playing with smooth natural wood.

I was lucky enough to be given two of these lovely sets, and my children are happily building away as I type, but I notice that they often pause in building just to enjoy the texture of these toys. This set is a combination of a very smooth and sanded but bare hard wood and painted hard wood. Each set has 30 pieces which can be used to create 10 designs recommended by the manufacturer, or you can make up your designs. If you happen to have more than one set, the possibilities are increased, and like Lego, this is one of those toys that the more pieces you have, the better.

The recommended age range for these toys is 3 -10, which I feel is about right. My oldest son is getting closer to nine, and he has really enjoyed this, while my youngest has been quietly playing for the last two hours. This does have a warning stating that it is not suitable for children under age 3 due to small parts. I do think many 2 year old children would love this though and I see no harm in this type of toy as long as a parent is supervising closely. I also feel a child of three or under would need help to fully enjoy this, and even at five, my son needed to be shown how to use the threaded block to attach the wheels to the car. My eight year old on the other hand was able to breeze through the suggested designs and quickly started making his own.

In addition to the basic blocks this has a wooden screwdriver which adds to the fun - but isn't absolutely necessary. My youngest son is quite happy to play with the screw driver as well. My husband used it for awhile before just tightening the rest of the bits by hand, and my oldest son never bothered with it at all. However, for children who love Handy Manny or Bob The Builder - toy tools are a real bonus, and because the screwdriver requires a bit more dexterity than the just attaching the parts by hand, this is a wonderful activity to build eye hand coordination and especially beneficial for children who suffer from dyspraxia ( a term used to describe difficulties in fine motor skills or movement - which is sometimes associated with other conditions, but affects as much as 10% of the population is affected) or dysgraphia (difficulty writing). Both of these can be serious issues, but in many cases, especially in areas with very early school starting ages it is simply a matter of boys ( boys are far more likely to be affected) needing a bit more time to develop the needed skills. However, no one wants there child to have difficulties in school, so a few activities that help develop the needed skills while having fun are always welcome. My youngest does have some issues with switching back and forth between the right and left hand, and did have obvious damage to the right side in infancy so I do take great pains to find games and toys that help him to overcome this - without making an issue of it.

When looking at this toy on Amazon it is nearly impossible to guess the size. I have built the car pictured above and measured it. My measurements are 6" long and 5" high. Detailed instructions are only given for two of the designs, but this really all you need. Once you have the general idea this is very intuitive, even for a young child.
on 20 September 2015
Such a beautiful set, my daughter is almost three and totally in love with anything she can build or make herself. I bought this set for her and it's safe to say all the children in the family love taking turns to put the colourful parts altogether so pleased!
on 2 December 2012
I use this toy with a dementia patient who has thoroughly enjoyed playing with it. The wood is good quality and finished to a very high standard. The painted pieces are bright and easy to clean. The little screwdriver provided is easy to hold and use, even for arthritic hands. The toy can be used to build many different types of models and shapes, and, as in the case of my patient, is actually very stimulating just to mess around with. I think it should be made available in a bigger set with more pieces, and I think it should come in a reusable box for storage. It is a lovely toy and very good value, as plastic versions are less appealing and much more expensive.
on 12 January 2015
Ordered with some money from Christmas for our 2 year old who enjoys it but our 5 year old loves it!

You can make about 10+ different things from it.

Only suggestion I have is add a few more nuts for more freeform building.
on 27 August 2012
It is a great hit for my son who likes to make things. There are lots of pieces to play with. He can spend long time try to make different things. It is a good toy for improving one's eye-hand coordination, imagination, critical thinking and concentration etc. It is nicely made and good value for money.
on 10 December 2013
My five-year-old son loves gadgets, and this toy is perfect for a child who likes testing his fine motor skills. As well as building all the models on the plan, he enjoyed using his imagination to construct other shapes and found the nuts and bolts simple enough to use.
on 6 February 2014
I was really pleased to find this - always looking for something not too mainstream for my great-nephew as, like most kids today, has so much 'stuff' and I didn't want to duplicate. I bought it over a year ago as a Christmas present when he was 2 1/2 and, although not flashy and his first choice at Christmas, it has stood the test of time and his parents recently told me that when they go to get him up in the mornings he is often playing with it in his room.
Great for developing creativity and dexterity, it's educational and keeps him absorbed so that Mum and Dad can get on with other things.
The only negative I can think of is that I haven't found anything at a similar price or quality to match!
Thoroughly recommended.