Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£7.99

on 26 February 2015
Very amusing and a wonderful insight into this entertaining actor's life and loves. I have searched for this tape for a long time having initially purchased it as an impulse purchase about 15 years ago in Johannesburg---the original was spoileed in a faulty cassette player. Many thanks for the great service.
on 19 October 2015
I received this book as a Christmas present and, although I've always been a fan of Michael Caine & loved many of his films, I wasn't quite sure if I actually wanted to read his autobiography.
But once I'd started reading, I soon changed my mind!
Michael has done such a wonderful job here of charting his life, & his remarkable rise from an unspectacular childhood living in poverty in South London, to becoming one of the world's most famous & well-loved actors - and a living legend.

But it wasn't always like this, & Michael spent many years struggling with his unlikely ambition to become a professional actor - let alone a Hollywood star. The best thing about this book is its amazing honesty - he tells it as it is, & has a wonderful self-deprecating wit that has clearly served him well during his life.

This books spans his life - from his wonderfully-documented childhood in wartime London right up until the period after Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. Michael was clearly a little premature if he thought retirement was looming at this time - and has since written a sequel The Elephant to Hollywood that summarizes the main points in this book, & then continues his story.

It's a fascinating insight into the life of one of this country's most recognizable actors, & Michael clearly has a talent for writing too. There are so many interesting tidbits & anecdotes along the way, & Michael sets his film career against the backdrop of what's going on in his personal life at any given time, as he moves along chronologically.

I've read a great deal of autobiogs in my time, but this really is one of the very best. I salute you Michael, & after reading this, I feel I know him in a whole new way & will never think of him in quite the same way again.
on 15 August 2012
We bought this for my father-in-law for his birthday. He was over the moon to receive it and couldn't wait to start reading it.

In an email from the supplier, they stated that delivery could take up to 30 days (despite the Amazon details saying up to 19 days delivery).However we were delighted to find that the book was delivered well in time for my father-in-law's birthday.
on 22 June 2010
This is a great book. Charting the history of this true Icon's childhood years through to his rise to fame.

I found that this book was a true "page-turner". Michael details his close run thing with fame and introduces a host of colourful characters throughout. I have to say that I can still remember the way he dealt with a "top" Holywood star that was behaving like a spoilt brat - sheer genius.

I haven't read this again in many years but there are so many passages that I can recall vividly. If you haven't read an autobiography and wonder whether to bother read this now. It really is an amazing insight into a genuine star.
on 1 May 2014
although this was no whodunnit mystery,you just couldnt leave it.
i suggest it to all movie goers.
Michael Caine is undoubtedly one of the most interesting ,and talented actors and this book proves he is a talented story teller as well.
on 4 October 2007
The Story of how Maurice Micklewhite became Sir Michael Caine, a rags to riches story told by the great man himself.

Lots of name droppings as you's expect from a star but the story of how he got the Name Caine & the Story of His unknown Disabled Brother are very poignant.
on 28 February 2011
This was very enjoyable. I read it ages ago and have bought it to recommend to my son and read again when he has finished! It is easy to read and very interesting. Well written and one of those books you carry around to read when you have a moment. Try it!
on 27 October 2014
I read an extract from Michael Caine's book in a GCSE English exam paper and thought it was very interesting therefore I purchased 'What's it all about?'; however, the extract was not from this book - it must have come from a biography rather than the autobiography. Nevertheless, I really enjoyed reading this book as Michael has lived an interesting life and his stories brought to life an era of history that is synonymous with social, cultural and political change.
on 4 June 2010
Having read the book I recommend this audio version,having the book read by the author himself (Micheal Caine) is superb.
on 27 July 2013
I loved reading Michael's autobiography (his life). Once I started I just couldn't
stop reading his life story. His humble beginning from the Elephant and Castle,
to great success which has been recognised throughout his film career. Michael escaped the poverty that surrounded his upbringing. I was impressed
by his devoted and caring parents who worked hard. Michael had many times
over rewarded his mother which was greatly deserved.
Read this book, Michael Caine is a brilliant actor and is a legend of all times!