Customer reviews

London's Hidden Secrets
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£7.55

on 1 August 2017
Excellent book. Will look forward to visiting some of the "hidden secrets" next time we go to London.
on 13 October 2017
As described and prompt delivery.
on 4 June 2017
Great book
on 30 December 2011
This little book certainly lives up to its title.
It is crammed full of less well known destinations and directions to get there
Most are well worth the trip as being either scenic or interesting and the book is small enough to carry with you
Recommended++
on 20 November 2011
I lived in London for 20 years and could never understand why people crowded to the usual tourist haunts when there are so many other interesting places to see. Maybe they needed this book! It's an incredibly useful guidebook, gathering together some of the capital's lesser known sights in an easy-to-read format. It features some of my favourite places, such as Little Venice and the fascinating Horniman Museum, but also many I didn't know existed. I never knew there was a genuine Turkish bathhouse within the City or a farm in Docklands, and am adding the Museum of Brands to my must-see list for my next visit to the capital. This book rings with authenticity - the author knows London well and each entry is packed with interesting facts and asides - and would make a great present not just for someone visiting the capital but also to encourage a Londoner to discover the secrets in their own backyard.
0Comment| 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 19 November 2012
I borrowed this book from the library, but as a result I am now ordering two copies for friends. My husband & I went to London for 5 days last week and I used this book to basically plan our stay. We have visited London on many occasions, so now we are looking for different ideas. I liked the way it is clearly divided into different areas, so it is easy to group attractions together. I found it accurate and helpful in that it says whether a museum if free or not and the website to go to for more details.

Day 1 pm we went to Leighton House and then the Roof Gardens that I had never heard of before.
Day 2 Dulwich & the Horniman Museum & Dulwich Picture Gallery - also well worth walking one way through Dulwich Park.
Day 3 Rotherhithe Street and along the Thames Path before busing down to Greenwich (Cutty Sark - not mentioned as it is a well-known attraction) and then across the river through the Foot Tunnel. Museum of London Docklands, which we didn't go to this time, is fabulous.
Day 4 City of London - walked along High Holburn - Staple Inn, up to Charterhouse Square, Barts Museum, to St Mary in Bow for lunch and a free organ recital (not mentioned in the book) and then to the Royal Bank of England Museum.
Day 5 - Chelsea & then central London - Royal Hospital & Chelsea Pensioners, walked up Old Church Street for the architecture (OK), Bomber Command Statue (not mentioned) Shepherd Market, Berry Bros & Rudd shop & then other things not in the book.

So thank you for helping us have such a successful week - your book made planning easier.
on 13 October 2011
London's Hidden Secrets isn't intended for the "It's Tuesday, so it must be London" type tourist, but for those of us looking for the quirky, surprising, and wonderful this book is a gem. I thought I knew our capital city pretty well, but looking through the index there are dozens of trips to palaces, caves, gardens and interesting places that I've never even heard of and can't wait to see.
The layout and text is crisp and easy to read even while travelling, the At a Glance panel is helpful, and the book is small enough to pop into a pocket. I liked the great photos and the easy reference maps - in fact I liked everything.
on 9 November 2011
I thought I knew London but perhaps not. Having lived here for a dozen years I should do, but I hadn't heard of many of the places in this book let alone been there. So we're working our way through them by region. It helps that it fits in a pocket and isn't too heavy, but it's packed with info and interesting anecdotes. We highly recommend it.
on 24 January 2012
Thought I knew London reasonably well, but this book proves there's a whole lot more to this fantastic city. Interesting and easy-to-read, it takes you right off the tourist track to discover things that are definitely both quirky and unusual.
on 31 October 2011
This book would be useful at any time of year to people who want to avoid London's usual overpriced, overcrowded and overrated tourist attractions, but next summer it will be worth its weight in gold medals as the usual tourist hordes will be joined by even more visitors coming to see the Olympics. Me, I'll be taking my family on a peaceful trek round London's cemetaries, with lunch in Ye Olde Mitre Tavern, a pub in Holborn that was also until recently in Cambridgeshire.