on 1 November 2017
perfect
on 21 December 2013
Picking up without missing a beat from the last book, I was a little disappointed that I did not feel as engaged by the characters this time around. Still a very enjoyable read as part of the series to date, this one is almost a 'stand alone'.
on 15 March 2014
a fantastic book in the series, I have the whole series & am an avid collector/ reader, I will continue to read these as long as I have eyes in my head!
on 24 August 2013
We see a different side of Ethan
Merit appears more confident and capable
Another excellent book in the series I cannot wait for the next
HALL OF FAMETOP 500 REVIEWERon 10 August 2012
'Biting Cold', book 6 in Chloe Neill's 'Chicagoland Vampires' series, picks up immediately where Book 5 Drink Deep: A Chicagoland Vampires Novel (CHICAGOLAND VAMPIRES SERIES) left off. The set-up suggested that we were going to have a change of pace, in the form of a road trip - as well as some alone time for Merit and the newly-resurrected Ethan. I looked forward to this... after the slightly disappointing 'Drink Deep', I was anticipating a bit of time away from the ins and outs of Cadogan House; some relationship-solidifying together-time for Merit and Ethan; to say nothing of the possibility for a shown-down in the ongoing story arc surrounding Mallory's black magic addiction.

Instead, for me it all wound up being a bit of a damp squib. It's not by any means bad - Chloe Neill's style of writing is typically engaging - but it's not as good as some of the earlier entries in the series.

Certain plotlines just seemed to fizzle out altogether or to be overlooked. There's no Red Guard involvement at all. The road trip section is abruptly curtailed - leaving us back facing the ins and outs of vampire House politics. Where Cadogan is once again under investigation by the Greenwich Presidium. And so much for a joyous reunion between Ethan and Merit - whose relationship stutters for really quite contrived reasons throughout most of the book.

This isn't to say that there aren't opportunities for significant story progression in the next book: towards the end, there are a couple of potentially game-changing events...

For me, 3.5/5 (it does irk me that Amazon call anything below 4 stars 'unfavourable': I'm rating it better than average! It's enjoyable, but not the best from this author)

Book 7 House Rules: A Chicagoland Vampires Novel (CHICAGOLAND VAMPIRES SERIES) is due out in February 2013
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 5 January 2014
Before reading this review please bare in mind that it is practically impossible to review this book without giving a major spoiler for the previous ones (Hard Bitten and Drink Deep in particular) so while this review won't contain spoilers for Biting Cold you may not want to carry on reading if you're not at this point in the series. Having said that I would like to encourage you to give the series a try if you haven't already, it's one of my favourites and I loved jumping back into Merit's world! Look away now if you want to avoid spoilers though.

When I think about how much I love this series I'm amazed it has taken me so long to get around to reading Biting Cold. I don't even have a good excuse considering how thrilled I was by Ethan's return at the end of Drink Deep! I guess the good thing about putting it off is that I already have the next 2 books and a novella ready to start reading though, I hate the delay between series books so they should keep me going for a little while. Bearing in mind it had 2 years since I read Drink Deep I was surprised at how easily Chloe Neill was able to suck me back into her world, I was worried that I'd have forgotten what was going on but she was able to recap enough to remind me of the important things without bogging down the story with too much extra information. It was like catching up with old friends, you know the kind where you can go months without seeing each other but the moment you meet up it's like you were never apart?

Anyway, let's get back to my review! I wasn't too sure what to expect from this book since my friends all seem to either love or hate it but I'm happy to say I really enjoyed it. I knew there were going to be big problems to deal with thanks to Mallory's previous actions and I was worried that she would never go back to being the girl I loved at the beginning of the series. The things she has done are pretty unforgivable and she still has worse up her sleeve in this instalment. Thankfully she does eventually realise what she was in the wrong and although she has a long way to go she has made a start at atoning for her actions. It's going to take her a long time to put things right and I'm not sure if her friendship with Merit will ever get back to the way it used to be but I have hope for her now which is good.

I have always had a thing for Ethan, even though there have been times when he acted like an arrogant ass and made me want to slap him there has just been something about him that I love. The chemistry between him and Merit is fantastic and I love the way she always stands up to him and puts him in his place. After his miraculous return I had high hopes that they would finally get their relationship back on track in this book but frustratingly Ethan has other ideas. Although I understood his reasons for backing off I still wanted to throttle him, he knows Merit is more than capable of standing up to him when she needs to so he should have trusted in her more. What I did really like is that Merit doesn't let him get away with pushing her to one side, she knows what she wants from him and she will fight to get it. Hopefully things will go a little smoother for them in the next book.

There is plenty of action in Biting Cold and some very interesting developments with the world that guarantee to make things interesting as the series continues. I would have liked to have seen more of Merit's grandfather, Jeff and Catcher but it was great to see more of the shifters and we spend a lot of time with the vampires that Merit has become friends with. I'm very curious to see what direction things will take after the latest revelations and there is no way I'll be waiting another 2 years before I read the next book!
on 21 August 2012
Please be warned that there are spoilers for the earlier books in this review.

Biting Cold picks up immediately where Drink Deep left off with Merit and Ethan on a road trip hunting down Merit's best friend Mallory. Mallory is on a mission to unleash the evil which is contained in the Maleficium, a magical book, in order to ease the pain that she is feeling from Dark Magic and it is up to the two vampires to stop her.

First of all let me say that I love the Chicagoland Vampires, Ethan Sullivan is my number 1 book boyfriend. I love the characters, the world that they live in, the author's writing, basically everything then Ms Neill goes and kills off Ethan in book 4 Hard Bitten. I was absolutely devastated however I actually congratulated Ms Neill for her brave decision. It cannot be easy to kill off one of your main characters. I wondered how the series would progress without my beloved Ethan. Then in book 5 Drink Deep I was coming to terms with Ethan's demise I had hope that Merit could still have a happy future possible with the delectable Jonah then all of a sudden Ethan was brought back to life by Mallory. I was surprised and sort of happy, I mean what did this mean for the series now. I didn't understand the reason for Ms Neill to kill off Ethan in the first place just to bring him back. In my opinion Ethan's death and resurrection just feels a bit pointless and wishy-washy and that is how I found this book to be...a bit pointless and wishy-washy.

Merit is obviously delighted to have Ethan back and I thought their relationship might move on but it doesn't. Ethan still has commitment issues even after 5 books and one death but like in earlier books where as this was exciting with the will they won't they now I found it frustrating and annoying.

I had trouble with the pacing of the book, the nights seemed endless and I was amazed at how much Merit could fit into the hours. Some things did not make sense to me either. There is a fight scene with Merit and Ethan and I was confused at what Merit was doing and ended up shouting at the book 'Why are you doing that, stop being stupid do this'. And I couldn't understand why Catcher wasn't helping hunt Mallory after all he is a sorcerer and Mallory is his girlfriend.

Drink Deep was a let down for me it didn't live up to the earlier books in the series and Biting Cold is even more of a let down. This felt like a filler book, the plot wasn't exciting and it seemed to exist solely to get Ethan back in the picture. Originally I was going to give Biting Cold 4 stars just because of my love for Ethan but having recently read way better books I am going to give it 3. I won't give up on this series but I really hope the next book gets back on track.
on 19 March 2015
Hooked straight away.... love the thrills, the secrets, the twists and turns. The tension, love and anguish that builds from the characters you learn to love and sometimes hate, is fantastic.
on 4 August 2015
As good as all the other books of hers . follows the series where some do not very good read with twists and turns and the will they won't they in it definitely recommend it five stars
on 20 December 2013
Brilliant boil just as enthralling as the rest of the series can't wait for the one in February to be released