Customer reviews

Orchid House [DVD] [1991]
Format: DVD|Change

on 5 July 2016
Not very good picture quality but its ok bit slow and boring from what I can remember .
on 21 July 2013
Having visited Dominica several times and being familiar with Phyllis Shand Allfrey's book I had tried unsuccessfully for several years to track down a private recording of the 1991 Channel 4 drama series of "The Orchard House". It was good to find that at last the TV series has been made available on DVD. The DVD didn't disappoint. It was filmed on location in the beautiful Caribbean island of Dominica and the cast included a number of well known Dominican characters playing cameo roles. An entertaining story, showing a slice of the last years of colonial life in Dominica during the first half of the twentieth century.
on 15 December 2013
its easy relaxing view, We had fun watching it because of the great acting. The plot is a bit slow at times.
on 23 December 2015
Well, as I did the make-up for the series I wasn't going to say I didn't like it, but actually, really, I did enjoy watching the series. The mystery, mood and magic of Dominica is definitely translated to the screen and it's a most unusual piece of work - and I always did want to do interesting work. It was magical, with some lovely cast - and this was before La Hurley work THAT frock!
on 6 February 2015
What I saw of the first disc was very good. Unfortunately it stopped a tantalisingly short way in and disc two wouldn't play. Now this may be my machine that is at fault so when I can I will give it another go when I've checked out the machine or tried playing the discs on someone else's machine. Disappointed though. Lets hope I get to see it soon.
on 12 January 2015
Bought as a christmas present as recipient dropped several hints. Havent yet watched, but happy with purchase. Arrived very quickly with other dvds that i ordered.
on 4 August 2014
Filmed on my home island DOMINICA (The Commonwealth of...). It was really an eye opener on what went on at that time! Enjoyed it.
on 6 January 2013
The Orchid House is from the book written by my wife's Great Aunt Phyllis Allfrey. My wife Lindy Allfrey helped with the filming and appears in a crowd scene. It's wonderful to have a DVD of this part of the family history.
on 11 February 2014
Great to see a dvd stick to the book. Well worth the money. Will watch it again and again and again.
on 27 June 2015