Customer reviews

Size: Printer with setup inks|Change
Price:£341.78 - £408.71

on 22 July 2013
I have owned a few printers over the years, each upgrade they get a little better. My last printer an Epson 790 photo lasted me for years but I really fancied an A3 printer. What I didn't expect was a much better quality print and I am still worried that it's printing too fast. I have read comments from reviewers that this is a slow printer and I may think like that when the novelty wears off, but compared to the older generation photo printers, I have to check the settings to prove to myself I have not left it on draft by accident.

A3 printing is wonderful, it obviously takes a little longer than A4, I would suggest it takes as long as the older photo printers took to print A4. The colours are sharp, I have some Kirkland (Costco own brand) glossy paper that works as well if not a bit better than Epson's premium glossy, there was always a colour cast with this paper on my old printer, so Epson have changed something, it also prints perfectly on Ryman satin and photo paper.

I am not new to wifi printers as I already have a wifi laser printer. This just made wifi an essential for me with the Epson 1500W, also it's a big printer and will not easily fit on an average desk, although it does fold up fairly neat when you put all the trays away. It's still a bit of a beast, wifi means you can put it anywhere in the house / office within reason. The wifi was far easier to set up on this than my brother laser printer, I had it connected within a couple of minutes. There is an RJ45 socket and USB connector, you need one of these to initially set up the wifi. I see no reason to use a cable connection day to day. Wifi just works, turn it on and the Epson monitor picks it up and you're ready to print.

Compared to older generation Epson printers, it is remarkably quiet in operation, even with the top open, which as we all know is how we use inkjet photo printers, everyone is a peeker!

There is no USB or network cable bundled and a very sparse collection of papers provided. They do not even give you a sheet of A3, luckily I ordered a pack of Epson A3 at the same time I ordered the printer, it's not cheap and I guess I will mostly be printing A4 or less. The printer is supposed to support paper roll, but I have not investigated this yet. Nor have I attempted to print onto a DVD, but the DVD printing looks simple enough to achieve.

I mainly bought the Epson as 3rd party inks and continual feed ink systems are available, otherwise the price of ink is prohibitive.

I have a 12megapix camera which just about cuts it for A3 printing with only minimal upscaling at 300pix per inch interpolation. The quality of print is excellent, blue sky is nice and flat, reds are correct and amazingly greens are really good, I always find greens are hit and miss on this level of printer. mono is acceptable.

So far I have not been disappointed with the Epson 1500W, it is an ideal printer for my home hobby use, it will also be used for home office colour printing and I am quite excited at the prospect of printing my own trade show banners for our small business. I have so far found that A3 papers are difficult to source, but I am sure as A3 printers become more common for shutterbugs larger papers will be in most stationers. I am pleased I bought it and don't feel I need one of the more pro units in the Epson range.
on 23 July 2015
Great bit of kit, brilliant quality prints, this is a replacement for my old 1290 which served me well for over 10 years but alas the print head went U.S. The big down side was that after being assured from Amazon that it would come with a UK 13amp plug and lead....it did not! It's shipped over from Germany. I then had to spend another £10.99 at Maplins for the proper legal item. Continental plugs are not legal on new electronic goods in the UK. Someone at Amazon had told me 'Porky Pies'.......... shame on them. Installation was easy, but read the instructions carefully and do not connect the USB lead until indicated . Overall excellent print quality. Only four stars because of sending the wrong lead with the printer otherwise all was very good and I am very pleased with this purchase.
on 2 February 2016
Very good photo printer for those amateur photographers starting on their first print. Easy to install on PC and Mac OSX alike. Easy to put the thrid party ciss tanks with no problems recognising the cartridges! Very very good. Printed a lot of photos already!
on 17 August 2014
Very Good results but the ink is too dear
on 6 December 2015
Brilliant!
on 2 July 2014
I did not purchase this printer through Amazon as I could only find it through a third party that I did not know. It cost me a little extra sourcing from else where but I got it a lot faster than I would have through Amazon.

The printer replaces my trusty Epson R300 which has served me for some TEN YEARS and was always a good solid and reliable printer, sad to see it go. I spent hours reading all the reviews about every printer that seemed at least half decent, but head problems loomed across almost every printer that I looked at. Finding the 1500W seemed like a dream come true.

Having received the 1500W and having a few setup problems which all rather silly problems and one was my own fault. I missed the cartridge indicator markings just above the container and found no information else where as to what order to put the cartridges in. After that installation was fairly straight forward except for the software installation.

Inserted installation/software disc and the setup went straight to the internet for the latest version of both software and drivers no problem. Windows acknowledged driver installation but when the software installation asked me to select either WIFI or USB connection and having chosen USB I clicked next. all options disappear except for back and here the installation sat forever and a day. The pop up window said communication with the printer would take no more than 2 minutes.

While waiting for all this to happen I used the printer despite the software not completing that step. Eventually having spoken to Epson via their 10p per minute support line [not amused] all they came up with was to ignore the problem and close down the installation. The printer later went ahead and downloaded a further driver update and everything has been fine. So what the problem was I cannot say. One thing you must do is ensure that you do not turn the printer on until the software installation reaches the point of telling you to.

Right the printer is a stand alone, no fancy unrequired LCD screens and external input. Everything is setup from the computer so all your pennies have gone into the quality of the printer and not into all in one compromise.

What you get is one fantastic [BIG] printer that prints on demand with little time between instruction and print. The printout result is far beyond that of a printer of this price level. Colours are vibrant and the actual picture is flawless with every detail as good as the image on your computer screen with printout even for A3 is much quicker than my old R300 ever was printing A4.

A3 paper is available through Photo Paper Direct and the quality is excellent and the prices are very reasonable. If you look through their stock carefully you will find great deals. Low prices with buy one get one free offers. This paper is not Epson Paper but is a really good professional high quality paper and delivery is quick and the resulting print is not a disappointment.. Arrived to me within 24 hours and that involved a cross channel trip.

The printer is BIG but for an A3 printer it is very compact. CD/DVD printing is easy using the supplied tray with excellent results. This facility was a main selling point for me. The printer is so quite I thought that it was broken and was pleasantly surprised to see that it was actually printing.

Quite, fast and with exceptional print results this printer is aimed towards photographic work. It prints documents as well as my old R300 but I am told it does not print documents as good as a regular printer, but I have no problem with the text results. It has the looks of a high quality build coffin and is as quite as a ghost. I would highly recommend this printer and would say look no further you will not find a better one for this price anywhere on the market by any manufacture. Like with the R300 it would appear that Epson got it just right, now to see if the 1500W will last ten years.

WIFI - I have yet to set that up as I wanted to get used to the printer first and find out what it could do before going Wireless.
on 20 April 2015
BEWARE - this came with a non-UK plug, which is ILLEGAL in the UK under the Plugs and Sockets Safety Regulations 1994. Shame on you Amazon.
on 12 May 2015
I gave this 4 stars but Amazon refused to post it, so now I'm giving it one star and advising you not to buy it as it comes with an illegal power lead. If Amazon don't post this one it will be the last review I ever write!
on 10 August 2015