Customer reviews

on 2 March 2017
One of my favourite albums from the era. Definitely their best.
on 21 August 2003
This might sound excessive but this album has been with me as one of my all-time favourites since it was released over 10 years ago and it sounds as good now as it did then. All Talk I find myself skipping over nowadays but I find myself always entranced by the others. My favourite tracks are 'Words', 'Greenbank Drive' and 'Community of Spirit' not just because the intros give me goosebumps but because I have to listen to them in the car with the stereo on full blast just to get full benefit of the rich layered sound. The politics might not interest you, if not, just ignore it and marvel at the sheer quality of sound. Brilliant.
on 7 February 2005
It's always quite amazing to revisit an album like this, made by a band with a wonderful unique sound and real musical talent and then think how they disappeared from the nation's musical consciousness almost over night.
Colour was The Christians second studio album and built on the back of the success of their debut self-named album and really does feature some great songs. All sung in their distinctive gospel soul style (indeed one of the tracks, "Hour of Need" features the London Community Gospel Choir) all the tracks are delivered with great panache and is a great trip down memory lane.
The close harmony singing whilst being so very simple on the one hand does make for a complex and matchless sound and is shown to its best on timeless tracks like "Greenbank Drive", "Words" and "Man Don't Cry"
on 9 June 2015
Much loved and coming at the peak of their early 90s popularity, The Christians released their best album (I think) in Colour. I listen back to this now with particular admiration of the musical talents of Henry Priestman. Some of his keyboard and production work on Colour is exemplary, and the addition of seasoned session greats such as Pino Palladino and Manu Katche lend a range of the tracks on this title serious polish. Stand-outs are Man Don't Cry, Greenbank Drive, All Talk and Community of Spirit. A great, grown-up 90s CD that only gets better with time.
on 2 October 2015
This one didn't fare as well as the debut, but if anything the songwriting is even better - and that's saying something. The vocals are amazing and the songs contain such great melodies. They should have been massive.
on 25 September 2011
'The Christians' were quite simply one of the best bands in the 90's. Interestingly, they are not a religious band; as their name might suggest. However, their songs do have spiritual meaning.

If you are in your early twenties or even if you remember them from your younger days, I would highly recommend that you download at least one of their tracks and closely listen to the lyrics. They captured a generation that had hope for the 'then' forthcoming 21st century.

The lead singers mellow tones and captivating crecendos will pleasently haunt you for many years to come.

Most definately one for the collection.
on 3 December 2014
I like this album. I bought it to replace the empty CD box I had, because I sold my car and the CD was in the stereo. It's not really what I would call music that I am generally drawn to, but it is so well crafted, well performed and well written that it is one of those albums that just crosses boundaries. Of course music like this often harks back to a particular time in your life, but it's none the eorse for that.

When you think about it, pretty much all the best music is old. Compared to any one moment in time, where if you're lucky there may be some new music that is good, even a lasting classic to be, how can that one moment in time compare to all the times past? For this reason, don't just buy new music. Re-live your past and buy something you had on vinyl or tape. Or explore a band or genre from the past that passed you by. You could do worse than get this album to start you off.
on 29 May 2009
I saw The Christians live during the tour to accompany the album, and thought they were brilliant. It is my favourite album of theirs, but I think their popularity would have risen had they released the last three songs on the album, There You Go Again, One More Baby In Black and In My Hour Of Need as singles, as opposed to the ones they did.
on 14 May 2013
Used to like this band in sixth form and bought this album because I felt it was a bit more laid back than their others.
on 28 January 2016
not a patch on their debut but some v.gd tracks nonetheless,words & there you go again etc