Customer reviews

The Christians (2CD Deluxe Edition)
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 8 December 2017
Classic tune from a great band
on 14 August 2013
A classic from the 80s, still sounding fresh and soulful today. I have the original of this from back in the day, and still listened to it occasionally, being such an excellent snapshot of the soul of the 80s.
The mechanics of this release reveal the exact same track listing as the original release on disc one, and we find disc two to be very interesting. All the B-Sides are there, together with some extremely interesting bonus mixes. The TR-808 mix of Ideal World stands out from this eclectic mix.
One thing that does annoy me about a lot of these Cherry Red releases is the tendency to put the various mixes of tracks next to each other on the discs, so for instance Forgotten Town gets two mixes, as tracks 11 and 12, then tracks 15 and 16 are two mixes of Harvest for the World. I much prefer things to be more mixed up. To compenstate I just put the disc on random which solves the issue, and also gives a nice surprise which track is next.
on 26 January 2014
Don't get me wrong, more than twenty-five years on this remains a fantastic album of soulful pop laced with a oonscience and social commentary that is as relevant today as it was back in '87. Cherry Red have done a great job in pulling together a collection of remixes and b sides but there are some glaring omissions and this is not, as another reviewer has suggested, a complete collection.

B sides such as "Drip Drop" and the original version of "Born Again" are not here and most disappointingly the 12 inch versions of the magnificent "Hooverville" and "Ideal World" are not included. The Megamix version of "When The Fingers Point" isn't here either and there are yet more versions of "Forgotten Town" kicking around, and those are just the ones I can remember without going off and checking my existing collection. All in all there's probably enough missing material to have knocked this up to a three disc set and I don't think any of the tracks I've listed were ever issued on CD, indeed I think some only came out on cassingle (remember those?), so to have been able to have them here would have been a major plus point. It may have been that the original masters of those were not available, in which case I apologise if I'm doing the compiler a disservice.

Having said all that it would be unfair to deduct points for what's not included as what you do get is magnificent and well worth a tenner. In the meantime I'll have to hang onto my turntable for a while longer in order to be able to plug those gaps.
on 20 September 2013
I only knew the song 'Words' they did so I thought there would be similar on the CD but it's not what I expected.
on 2 October 2015
What an album. Henry Priestman is a superb songr=writer and Garry Christian has the most beautiful voice. What a combination, this album takes me back to my youth and still sounds fresh
on 25 January 2013
Bought this in the 1980's and loved it. Still play this regularly which is more than I can say for most albums I've bought! Great social lyrics remember when songs meant something, killer tunes and lustrous vocals - things dont get better than this. If you missed this classic first time round get it now it really wont disappoint
on 23 April 2016
The Christians at their best.Lots of bonus material that is well worth listening to throughout.I definitely recommend this.
on 15 July 2016
perfect seller, phenomenal lightning dispatch, magic coms & great item.Slainte !
on 1 November 2016
Bought the cd having seen then live at Shrewsbury
on 29 January 2017
Great albums even better live