Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now New Album - Depeche Mode Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 21 March 2014
I really enjoyed this book, it is so interesting to see what life is like on the other side of the bar.

Well written and very amusing, apart from the odd error, e.g. "Maurice was a dear old sole" and "he coiffed his pint" which just added to the humour. Alison makes you realise there is a lot more to running a pub than meets the eye, and the local characters she mentions remind me very much of the ones that frequent our country pubs here in Gloucestershire.

I notice that the pub changed hands in 2011, but I really hope that she writes a sequel to this book.
on 4 March 2016
Our new landlords have just finished their second year and much of what I read resonated with our pub. Seeing the pair of them exhausted and getting thinner by the day as they grappled to get a hold and make their mark. Entertaining and enlightening.
on 20 July 2015
Another great read - what is it about people taking on a pub when they've never done it before!! I couldn't put this one down, wondering what was going to happen next!!! Learned a few lessons about eating-out, and making sure to be on time for a booking. Didn't realize it made life difficult if you are in a party and one or two are late!!
on 7 December 2014
A charming, engaging, warm "Dear Diary" style read from start to finish. Ms Archer confides in her readers the thrills and spills of taking over a country pub; her decency, her love of her husband, her desire to do well, all shine through and I enjoyed every sentence. At the price, you would be bonkers not to buy it!
on 13 October 2012
Well, that about puts paid to my book, different village, different county but same customers and characters, eerily same experiences and even character traits of the licensees. Somewhat comfortimg to find ourselves not alone in ur experiences, though orrying to think how often this is reflected in so many lives in pubs all over the country. one has to ask questions of the pub co's and brewers owning tied houses.
None the less I laughed and cried throughout. A thoroughly enjoyale read, witty and well written.
5 years in and still going, loving it and hating it all in the same day, even in the same minute and will continue to do so for as long as possible. thanks Alison and Rob. ps we bought two copies!
on 22 August 2014
Great book following the trials and tribulations of a county pub when you have no experience and everyone knows every bodies business in the close knit village community. Brilliant!
on 6 June 2014
An entertaining account of why publicans often seem so harried. It needed a it of careful editing and ordering to be more coherent, but the premise was fun and made for a perfectly pleasant afternoon of reading. The characters were well drawn and probably recognisable to most pub-goers.
on 20 June 2014
...sitting in the garden one sunny Sunday afternoon, picked up this book and didn't move until I'd finished it. I thoroughly enjoyed it as it was so well written, humorous and easy to read. Looking forward to reading the next book.
on 28 October 2014
Brilliant, very funny and a very correct account of buying and running a pub. I did the same.
on 17 July 2012
So much of your book rings true, I've been in the pub trade for 12 years and a landlord of a village pub for 5, your book is funny, witty and portrays the good and bad elements of being a publican.. laugh out loud then solemn and thought provoking.. an excellent read, and for me, a timely reminder of why we chose this lifestyle, I have recommended it to my staff and customers.. looking forward to the sequal.