on 20 May 2013
I bought the book in the hope that it would help me get through the ISQTB Advance Manager exam. The text is now slightly out of date, the syllabus being updated November 2012 and all exams now using the updated syllabus too. However the the content of the exams and courses is not so different that everything is irrelevant.

Where the book really excels however is giving examples and practical advice for Managers! Rex Black has easy to follow case-studies (sometimes the limitations of the device I was reading on confused matters but generally I kept up) and justifies all theory with illustration.

This is a good book to have handy for any QA Manager or Analyst and is great value on Kindle too,
You read something and learn something new or a smarter way to approach somthing. Thats what I found with this hefty, informative, if sometimes a little 'off on a tangent' manual. Having said that, the 'off on a tangent' moments often gave a real life example of something which made it easier to relate to, so thats probabaly a bit unfair. And Mr Black does know his stuff! I always enjoy his RBCS webinars and find him down to earth and not at all 'in your face' with his knowledge and this book is the same. Straight forward, plain language, lot's of helpful diagrams and explanations to help you along the way. I have been testing for many years, but know I am not the font of all knowledge, I know a lot, but no one knows everything. I found this book was a great source of ideas and fuelled my interest and passion for my job, making me re think how I do some things and improve existing processes I use. A must read for anyone considering the ISQTB Ad TM exam with lots of tips and learning objectives to digest. It confirmed a lot of what I already thought I knew and practised and I even found myself going 'off on a tangent' with some of the examples and integrating them into my current test processes. So it has it's value there if nowhere else for me. Good value and somthing I will dip into many times in the future for ideas and reference.
on 4 March 2013
I bought this book ahile back ago to continue my ISTQB certification passed the Foundation level and i found this book to be utterly rubish ! I felt like i was reading War and Piece, pages after pages of stories and parallels, nothing strict to the point.
Waste of money AND time, sorry Mr Black! might want to take a look at the Manage Software Testing wrriten by Peter Farrell to see how a managing software testing book:
on 14 April 2010
This book is very informative and if used in conjunction with the ISTQB Glossary, it gives you the necessary knowledge and confidence to sit the ISTQB Advanced Level Test Management exam
on 5 September 2010
In my view, as a non-IT professional but experienced self-study student, I didn't feel the book added much value over the syllabus information which you can download for free. Too much waffle, advertising of the author's other books and lack of use of formatting in the book (to make the salient points easier to see) in my opinion. It does provide some sample questions with answers which is useful but still not worth buying the book just for these.