on 10 May 2013
I can thoroughly recommend this sound system, with reservations, at its current price.
Had I bought it at it's release price (£260 ) I would not be happy.
The sound it produces using my very old but good quality Technics 3 way boxes, and surprisingly good Aiwa boxes (from a cheap music system), is great - even in a larger room.
The brave little boxes it comes with should be Ok for bedrooms and small offices but cannot cope approaching full volume (see various hifi reviews).
My quibbles about the "hifi" designation are :-
1: The lack of a headphone port.
2: Zero connectors at the rear, the ONLY input is a standard small stereo jack on the front.
The front stereo jack works OK, driven by signals from either satellite, TV, or computer, so it can function very well as a
stereo only adjunct to a TV / Satellite system. (NO HDMI).
3: There is no balance control.
From "Troubleshooting".
Problem: Sound comes from one channel, or the left and right volumes are unbalanced.
Solution: Place the speakers as symmetrically as possible.
4: The THD specs must be a misprint.
End of "HiFi" quibbles.
Does a Sony Xperia mobile phone connect via the usb? No - it was never advertised to - but it would have been a nice surprise. If it had an xperia dock I would buy one for my bedroom, I am tempted anyway.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 17 August 2010
We are quite pleased with this item. As it was to replace a 300 watt Technics system it would be unlikely to equal it, but we never used a third of its power.

The sound is crisp and clear with no noticeable distortion up to the loudest volume we would use. The tone is pleasing on classical and popular music. The radio is clear with a loft aerial for the FM and the supplied antenna for DAB. The CD played discs which would not play on our previous system, so its ability to deal with scratches and errors seems good. Ipod connection and operation is as easy as you would expect.

Set-up is simple - just connect the speakers and plug it in! It has clean, simple lines and feels well made.

A couple of niggles. The instructions could be clearer on tuning in the radio; OK, I worked it out (which of the buttons on the remote you need to use) but you shouldn't need to. The unit comes with a connected lead and UK plug, rather that a plug in lead - this meant I couldn't feed the lead through the small hole in my furniture and plug it in to the unit; I had to enlarge the hole to get the plug through.

Knowing what I know now would I still buy it? Definitely yes.
55 Comments| 98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 1 February 2012
Can't comment personally as this was bought as a gift, but I've had no adverse comments from the recipient and with Sony, you can't go far wrong in mny opinion
on 6 May 2011
Absolute 5* As usual this came uber fast & was cheapest from Amazon.
You can split stereos into 3 categories:
1] The cheap, rubbish ones you find in supermarkets which sound awful.
2] Neither cheap or expensive, very good sound & value for money but lacking a few of the extras.
3] Expensive, for pros & sound junkies. I had a £2000 Technics system in the 90s which was amazing.

This stereo falls into the 2nd category. On a 1-10 scale this is a 8 in sound quality with 9 & 10 only reserved for the mega expesive systems. If you just want to listen to music & don't want to mix/produce then this is for you.It sounds fantastic & is good value for money. I can easily plug in my mobile phone via front USB & ilsten to anything on the memory card. Cd's sound ace, fm radio very good-have not tried DAB yet but should be better than fm. You can plug in ipod's & it's simple to use,it took me about 10 mins to figure it out. It looks very stylish.
There are only 3 downsides to this stereo:
1] The lack of a headphone socket. Personally it doesn't bother me but i know some have complained about it.
2] The AUX in is on the front. I would have prefered it on the back so i can plug in the sky hd box with phono leads [there's no digital input] without seeing wires but again it's not the biggest thing. I did think about buying a blu ray cinema system but could'nt be bothered with the extra speakers & wires.
3] I would have liked a variable graphic equalizer but i'm being picky & it still sounds great.

Over all i am very happy with my purchase. It sounds great, lokks stylish, it's quite small, is well worth the money & arrived in 2 days.
22 Comments| 73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 9 May 2013
Reading some of these reviews, I'm astonished at how many people are suggesting the sound quality is good. The mid-range is adequate, but bass and treble are truly awful. Although it has a low price point, there are much better options in terms of sound quality. It's a shame that the sound is so awful, because the hifi offers good connections, a decent radio, CD player, and ipod dock. It looks OK as well. Connecting it to different speakers does improve the overall quality of this hifi.
on 23 August 2010
Boxed and ready to go, 5 mins out the box and music pounding out the speakers. Purchased this for my 8 year old daughter. It comes with an iPod socket at the front hidden behind a panel which is smart, it takes my husbands new iPhone 4 so it's backward compatible too, and you can control the iPod/iPhone with the remote that came in the box!
It plays CD's, MP3's on CD, it plays MP3's on an external harddrive connected via the front USB, and also you can put in a USB flash drive with MP3's on it too..It's got the DAB Radio which is fantastic sound and also standard radio with RDS with 2 ariel sockets out the back! It's also got a front in port that you can connect any form of Audio in, like we put the sound from a DVD player and so the sound comes out the speakers, mini cinema in a kids room! Brilliant.
The sleep timer is good for putting the DAB on at night and listening to before bedtime! or even listening to a CD or the iPod/iPhone. You can shuffle/program all the CD/MP3's and wake up to the CD/MP3 or DAB/Radio and it's only 0.5Watts of power on standby, for the power worrying parents. The volume level is set to 30 Max which is good so no parties at midnight and 6am. Speakers are a bit small, but how big do you want speakers these days and the only gripe I had was that the speaker cable was rather short, but my husband extended the cables and put the speakers up on wall brackets out the way of the TV so the sound field is better! TECH Jargon sorry..
All in all, a great 1st HiFi with superb sound, very lightweight speakers, but good sound that you can adjust with bass and treble controls and good price on Amazon at £179 but £229 from the Sony Shops, bargain...
11 Comment| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 24 November 2010
This unit is great in all aspects but one. You will not be using any headphones with it. This is a shame and I am kicking myself for not reading the spec properly. Sony and Amazon could have made this more evident. Don't buy it if you want to listen to music without bothering others.
on 23 November 2017
Sound quality was great...I say 'was' because after about 18 months the cd player decided to stop working completely. Very disappointing!!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 17 April 2012
This product is fantastic value for the money, I bought it for my staff at my workplace which is a small warehouse, the sound is more than ample at 60watts to fill the room with very good sound & no need to crank up the volume to full.

The unit looks very good & is very sturdy for the job at hand, the i pod dock comes with adaptors for different types of i pod, I have an i phone 4s which I didn't get an adaptor for, but I dont need it anyway as the phone fits the dock well without the adaptor.

The only down side (& it is a very small downside)is that the DAB areial that comes with the unit is only a small wire one, so anyone looking for better sound I would advise investing in a proper DAB areial, however I personally find the sound ok for myself & my staff's needs.

All in all this little unit is superb value for money & I would have no problems recommending it to anyone, well done Sony.
on 5 April 2011
After reading all the reviews on this Hi-Fi unit, I decided that this had everything I needed. It has great sound quality on DAB radio...I was a little worried that it wouldn't be that good since I don't have an outside aerial, but it's really clear just with the wire aerial provided...it just needed moving to a good position and that's where it has stayed (hanging behind the stereo cabinet out of sight). It picked up lots of DAB radio stations, half of which I'll probably never listen to, but they're there should I do. The CD player is just as good. I like the fact that it's a front loaded cd, making it possible to see that the cd is properly positioned. I also bought the unit because it has a USB port which will be really handy. Can't comment on the I-Pod 'cos I don't have one yet. All in all I love this Hi-Fi. A really good buy, especially as bought from Amazon...their price was the cheapest compared to all the local supermarkets & electrical stores. AND it arrived in just 2 days from ordering...that's what I call good service. Thanks a lot Amazon!!