Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now

on 14 December 2012
It's so easy to put together a home movie/DVD, even for a beginner.
Just insert your photo's and/or video to join them together in a sequence, add a title or two, add some music or voice over. Finally burn to your favourite media, e.g. DVD.
on 10 June 2012
I have been using Power Director 9 for 2 years. I tried PD10 but returned it due to problems and finally got frustrated with various hangups with 9 and decided ther must be something better out there. There is - Corel 5. Why ? Many reasons but most importantly - It works ! A few specifics -

It has a chat room where you can "talk" to people for quick answers.
It has a e-mail help that responds reasonably quickly and more importantly, answers the question you asked not what they think you asked that fits their standard replies !
It does not crash on either my PC or Laptop !
It's smart package element means you can transfer projects backwards and forwards between pc's !
It's very precise trimming and ability to use mouse wheel for this frame by frame !
It burns to disc smoothly and quickly !
There is a handbook available to purchase on Amazon which in 300 pages covers everything you needed to know ( and which the handbook as usual doesn't tell you )and the lessons therein would have any newbee up to speed in editing very quickly.

Yes it has one or two features which may be different to other editing suites and takes time to get used to but than that applies to everything. ( For example - I like to see the sound line as well as the image when I'm editing but in Corel you only get one or the other.)

Download the trial version - have a good explore and make a project - and, if you decided to buy, spend a little extra and get Marc Bech's book. My only regret - staying with a PD9 for as long as I did.
VINE VOICEon 25 November 2012
A novice writes.....
Feel free to ignore my opinions entirely if you're a hardened veteran of video editing software. I bow and scrape before you in an "I am not worthy" demeanour. Still...I guess there are a lot of people out there just looking to make a start and rightly terrified by the vast array of software options in the market and the bemusing range of features they each offer. So basically I'm your man if you ain't got a clue.
First things first....it downloads reasonably easily which is always a big plus regardless of whether the software turns out to be utterly useless. Thankfully it also turns out to be far from utterly useless and, huge relief, doesn't start from the premise that you know what you're doing. Explanation is up front and central so whenever you're suffering from a slight nagging doubt that you're about to delete the one and only copy of your family history dvd the answer will be on hand....hurrah.
As for functionality....there's lots (told you I knew a lot about his stuff). Most of it I'm just starting to explore and given that I can't really compare it with any other video software I'm reluctant to pass judgement. Suffice to say that everything I've tried so far has lived up to it's billing in the product blurb and I'm slowly starting to make videos that I feel pretty pleased with.
So in short...it's worked for me and worked well....
on 26 May 2012
Downloaded the product to trial for 30 days free, suggest you do the same from the Corel web site, so you try it to see if it is for you.

HOWEVER if you do this and then buy the software ie from Amazon (one of the best prices for it) and then try to use the 'activation code' from the purchased copy to activate and make live the installed 'trail' version - it does not work, it rejects it. (it states it should do this though)

It will not tell you why and you have to undertake a un-install of the trial copy and a complete re-install of the new software to use it and activate / register it.

OK, the biggest bugbear is the UK helpline (has differing UK numbers) one takes you to a French speaking (Quebec part of Canada) person who is anything but helpful (main office - maybe because I spoke in English (well it was a UK helpline !) The second UK number takes you to another French speaking Canadian in Corel's un-helpful centre who has an acknowledgement of the English language states 'it does not work zees vay oou as to do it ze udder vay'

Corel's help or support seem to be based in French Canada where if you are English, just forget it and buy something with a help desk based in the UK, for if you ever need help... you are on your own ! ! !
VINE VOICEon 20 September 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The package comes with a printed User Guide. It also includes a free code to activate WinZip Pro (not the latest version however), as well as various plugins.

It was easy to install and Once done and run you are greeted with a Welcome dialog that includes news, tutorial videos, and an online Template/extras store. The store includes a number of freebies so is worth looking at, however to use the features of this welcome screen you will need to create a Corel account online.

Starting a new project is straight forward and simple with most things being a case of drag and drop. However, getting access to the more advanced features can be harder as they are not always obvious. In fact several things are non-intuitive, but they have changed it so you now drop transitions and effects directly onto the video track which is much better than the X4 way. One problem is you are limited in the number of tracks you can have (1 Video Track, 20 Overlay Tracks, 2 Title Tracks, 1 Voice Track and 3 Music Tracks). This may seem a lot, but if you are doing very advanced work they soon fill up and is starting to feel lacking compared to rival packages.

However, once you've got the hang of all it's inconsistencies and quirky ways there is a lot of power available, from Chroma Key to slow motion to Masks to a horde of filter effects. There is also an option to turn a 2D clip into 3D, however I found the results to be somewhat disappointing, and would recommend using a 3D camera in the first place. Once you have completed your masterpiece, VideoStudio X5 allows you to save it to a variety of places, including YouTube, Facebook, DVD, BluRay and of course your hard disk.

If you've previously used version X4 then the main things that this version adds, apart from speed improvements and tweaks to various features, is Screen Capture, HTML5 Creation, the ability to import Paint Shop Pro graphic files with layers intact and a Template Library. The HTML feature is a must if you are planning to upload your videos to a website as it is rapidly becoming the standard. Screen Capture and editing is very useful for creating tutorials or to capture you getting that high score in the game du jour!

The Printed Guide is very helpful, but does not always make things clear. Also there is no traditional Help file available offline, you HAVE to be connected to the internet AND create a Corel account so that VideoStudio X5 can run the help in your browser via their website. Which is not very useful if you don't have the Internet available on your machine at the time!

One annoyance is that you are still forced to use a very dark window colour scheme in the software, which personally I don't like, it would have been better to have a choice of 'skins'...

Overall VideoStudio X5 is powerful and fast, but can take quite a bit of getting used to, though I would recommend it.

Pros
====
Fast
Feature packed
Stable

Cons
====
Limited tracks
Non-intuitive UI
No offline help
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Just got this and instaled it with ease on my PC. I have just tried it without looking at the instuctions (I never do!)I am an amatuer home movie maker and not a computer expert by any means. I found I could use it almost immediately. Easy to use. Fairly obvious what to do. Previous software I have used allows one to see the soundtrack and the movie on the same page but I could not seem to do this. It seemed to be one or the other. That might be down to me and I will have to play with it a bit to see if I can get both on the same screen. The end product was produced pretty quickly, titles and menu easily added. There are some special effects and animations on the software which I tried and they added to the fun of the finished product which is pretty good. I have always used Magix Video software and it might be that I am far more used to that than I am this but I do not see any reason to change to this. Had I started with it, I would probably be happy to keep with it. Its good. It is value for money. Recommended.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
COREL Videostudio Pro X5 (2012)

Amazon Vine sample
Quoted Minimum requirements - Windows XP , Intel Duo 1.83GHz (or AMD 2.0GHz) processor ( multicore processor recommended) , 2GB Ram , 128Mb VGA , 3GB free Hard Drive space , display resolution 1024 x 768,
Whilst current Acer 5633 computer used for test meets the basic requirements , ,the performance could not be adequately assessed . even with simple DV (let alone HD MPEG4) . Performance was better but not optimal on an ACER 5742.
A supplementary review will be issued when the product has been tested on an i5 or an i7 system.
VINE VOICEon 29 June 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Corel has always been one of the market leaders in graphic design and photo editing software. This release is clearly a well designed package. It offers an impressive range of editing tools, 21 tracks, multi-layer graphics, stop motion and time-lapse effects. Generous template libraries and social sharing capabilities. Good user interface and pleasant to use.
on 7 August 2013
I like this product , but have found that it takes me quite a while to understand how to use it's functions properly.
VINE VOICEon 29 June 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a cool editing product which also allows to record anything happening on your desktop screen, slideshows, tutorials, games, anything happening on the desktop. Other editing capabilities include traditional timeline features, with lots of special effects including multi-layered graphics, stop motion and time lapse.

See one answered question