on 7 October 2012
I agree with previous reviewer Miss Suzanne Mann - this book is well-written and it does not include the standard cliches and tricks to evoke sympthy. It isn't sentimental in the least. It is a fairly factual chronological true account of one man's drug addition and where it led him. The author accepts full responsibility for his drug problem and reflects upon and draws from his experiences honestly.

It is written in a fairly basic, sparse format - you see strings of names but none of them stick in your mind as they aren't described much, other than the author's girlfriend. I suppose this is intentional or at least accurate, as he does seem to have met a great many people through his life and as a result of his drug habit(s), but many of them are just passers-by, not major characters in the story of his life. They're part of a chapter in his life and in the book, and then they're gone. Such is the life of an addict.

One thing I did particularly enjoy, as Brit, was the probably-unintentional inclusion of some quality Aussie lingo. If you've ever impersonated a character on Neighbours, you too may enjoy this. It's refreshing to see a drug story based in Australia as the ones I have read previously have been in America or Britain, possibly one in Europe. The cultural contrasts are evident and it all seems rather pleasant and friendly, even despite the lying in a pool of mystery fluid at the beginning and the threats of violence at one point in the middle. In fact, it's the police that come across as really nasty, but then I suppose that would be the case, as the book is written by the criminal in that situation.

I can't really criticise this book at all - I have nothing particularly bad to say about it. It didn't annoy me. I read it all the way through in one sitting but it wasn't a page-turner. The writing is clear and well-edited. It's not full of hyperbole, repetition or self-pity. But unfortunately, I will have to damn it with faint praise. It just didn't grab me, I suppose. Perhaps the matter-of-fact style was the reason, or the reasonably even 'plot' (it's not really a plot - it's his life - but I'm not sure of the right word to use. The sequence of events had no mountains or chasms, it was just mildly hilly.) It didn't excite me or draw me in or make me think deep thoughts or anything at all.

It's certainly a story that others who suffer or have suffered from drugs could stand to read and benefit from. There's an inspirational achievement on the part of the author by the end. It's a very human story but it didn't make my heart strings sing sad violin songs.
on 5 March 2013
This wasn't easy to read for me.
I spend twelve years of my live life swallowing, snorting and shooting up every drug known to man and after getting declared clinically dead three times and more than a couple of stints in rehab, the best I've managed for the next seven years was substituting most of the drugs with booze and a lot of amphetamines, for I didn't really like being drunk. I'm sober for two years.
Now that's just to say that I can tell bullocks from the real thing. G.N.Brown's "Hammered" is real. Real, unflinching and brutally honest. And it puts most book on the subject to shame by being excellently written. It's pretty much the only book you need on the subject. But beware: if you put it on your Kindle, other books may desert, ashamed for being just a paperweight. Better get the paperback and put it up next to the memoirs of Iceberg Slim and Edward Bunker. Yes, it is that good.
on 10 February 2014
A good read repetitive at times but I suppose addiction can be.The rollercoaster of emotions that must have accompanied this journey seems to on the whole to be strangely missing,but again through addiction maybe emotions are missing,and maybe that's the authors intention.
on 4 September 2013
Downloaded sample of book thinking it would be interesting, so bought book, after a chapter or so things got explicit. Not my kind of book for reading. Why they can't hint or something in the sample about the story I don't know.? So returned book. It is hard to find a decent book now a days.
on 6 February 2014
I found this book very interesting, It is a real insight into the mind of an addict but light hearted in places at the same time as the author has a way of making it all seem a lot less serious than it actually was!! A must read.
on 24 June 2013
Read this book now. I would deffo recommend everyone to read it. Took me all of 5 days from start to finish.
on 2 March 2012
I really enjoyed this book. One of the first things I look for in an e book is that they are structurally sound. Grammar and punctuation used correctly allow the reader to concentrate on the content, and this book is perfect in that way. The story concentrates on the author's recovery from drug addiction, and is a brutal, honest and emotional tale. In my opinion, some authors write true story books and try to evoke sympathy from the readers which over rides the enjoyment of the read - this isn't the case with this book. The author acccepts the 'responsibility' of his addiction, and tells it exactly like it is and with great honesty. This leaves the reader rooting for the author, rather than 'feeling sorry' for him. He shares personal incidents with us, and shocks us in a no-nonsense, matter of fact way. It offered an amazing insight into the life of an addict, and I wanted to applaud the author for sharing this roller coaster journey with us. Hopefully, anyone who has been in a similar situation can read this book and see that recovery is possible - even if it takes many years. I don't profess for one minute to understand about addiction, but the author takes you through it brutally and does not make excuses for any of his behaviour. The author should be an inspiration to others. Well done, Mr Braun. A fantastically well written book.
on 3 January 2014
This is probably the most clumsily written book I've read about the journey through drug addiction and it didn't really have me gripped. He is an incredibly brave man for getting through it and has my absolute respect for telling his story. I do wish the general public had more understanding about drug addicts. They're not deviant or evil, but damaged people trying to escape a trauma of some sort.
on 25 October 2013
Not quite what I expected and not as the summary explains. Pretty much left me un-moved and fairly un-interested which is a real shame.
on 18 June 2016