on 8 July 2012
Great service from Amazon as usual, item arrived in 4 days using (free) super saver delivery. After trying the 30 day trials of both Lightroom 4 and Photoshop CS6, which are both free to download from Adobe, I decided to plump for Lightroom 4 as it has the most useful tools for my needs. Hint: download Lightroom 4 and use it for 29 days, then go to adobe and download and install the 4.1 upgrade, which resets the trial period to 30 Days. I can't say enough good things about LR: There are powerful and customizable image file handling and cataloging tools, superb image manipulation tools and flexible file output options, to name but a few. There are in depth, professional tutorials available from Adobe's site and YouTube. I found no problems registering the software and received my serial number within 48 Hrs, although they say this can take up to 36 hours. I simply photographed my payslip, Photo shopped it to remove any sensitive info and then saved and submitted it as a JPEG. I'd willingly pay the full price for LR, but the £40 Student/Teacher reduction makes this software an absolute steal.
on 25 April 2012
I can not recommend the student edition of lightroom 4. The experience to get the license key is very poor. I received my purchase on April 2nd, I have opened a case with Adobe and have supplied additional information requested by them. I am a student in a master program at a public UK university. To this date I still have not received my serial number. A phone call to Adobe support is painful, it takes you several minutes to get through a menu to reach the right person, it required 8 minutes of waiting time and once you have a customer service associate on the line, you need to repeat what is mentioned in the support case and then they finally hang up on you. I'm not buying any Adobe products anymore, they just don't treat their customers with respect. Activating an educational license could be done so much easier.

Update: after 25 days, one long phone call and a long one-hour text chat with a customer service associate, they finally gave me my serial number. The software can be good, but I don't think it justifies the trouble I had to go through to get my serial number.
1111 comments| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 December 2012
Using Adobe Lightroom has seriously cut down my editing time, it is really well laid out meaning I can easily edit and organise my images without having to interrupt my workflow by switching between two programs. I now simply use lightroom with the help of photoshop once in a while when my editing tasks are too advanced for lightroom. If you haven't tried it then take the time to download the 30 day trial and give it a go.
on 23 January 2013
Rating lowered because of difficulties created by Adobe with registration of product and receiving the key for educational version. Product worth the effort, but not sure the extra work and frustration is worth the educational discount.

Beware if seeking educational discount. Quick delivery but registration as an educational user very difficult and made unnecessarily so by Adobe. Made me wonder why they offer educational discount and considered sending item back for a refund.

Before ordering I telephoned the number noted on Adobe web-site to check eligibility. Was first told eligible but before end of call change of heart and I told that I had called wrong number, assistant was not sure if eligible and that they could not give me the correct number to call. I was then advised to order and that if not eligible I would get me money back!

Post purchase and my initial registration, Adobe failed to keep stated deadlines to provide key. Once I found on-line chat help handled very well indeed and very effective with great courtesy. Adobe then issued key in 2 days, rather than the 1 day stated, but at least received. Adobe then kept checking by email - too often, repeated and unnecessary - for days and days later after issue resolved. Pity that Adobe could not have made that effort before it became a problem. System for registration as an educational user does not work. A good product that works well but soured by the registration experience.

Not sure why they would offer this discount then make registration so ineffective and thus difficult.
on 18 June 2012
Loading up version 4.0 was a disaster and unusable - am running dual screens which I believe is known to suffer serious performance issues. 4.1RC2 was no better, but 4.1 is just about usable on my box - Intel quad Core 2 Extreme overclocked 33% with 8gb ram overclocked 20%, and 3-disk raid-0. With 4.1 still not happy when processing raw files from a D4 however, so just ordered kit to build new box - spent more parts than have on D800E... Now you see why performace is a big issue for me, 19GB files from the D4 vs. 75GB from the 800!!

I liked the fill light and recovery sliders in 3.6, not so sure the highlights and shadows sliders are as effective in 4, but then maybe I should have better control of exposure when shooting. Have compared final images from LR with same from Nikon's NX2, and you'd be hard-pressed to see any difference. Nikon's NX2 has no such performance issues, nor do I struggle using Aperture on my MacBook. The map function is great when using GPS. Overall, would I recommend LR4? In summary it seems to me one needs a very high spec machine (£1500+) to get anything like decent performance whatever you may think of the application.
on 1 June 2012
I will not add further to the extensive reviews for this software. However in contrast to the other reviewer, I only wish to report that my activation was a painless and rapid process - under 24hrs! It is great value and well worth the extra bit of hassle in order to get the cheaper price!
on 24 August 2014
A bit too complex for simple soul like me. I can manage (and love/use all the time) PhotoSuite (easier but it's not Photoshop) but this just confuses the life out of me, even with Scott Kelby's book to guide me. I got LR to help organise the thousands of pictures I have but I am no farther forward and feel I have wasted my time and money. Maybe a college course would help.
on 25 November 2012
I bought Lightroom 4 to run alongside Photoshop CS5. It does so brilliantly and in many respects outshines it's better known relative. The advantage Lightroom has over Photoshop is that it is aimed directly at photographers, whereas Photoshop makes itself relative to various kinds of art work. The changes that can be made in Lightroom are more subtle than in Photoshop.
It's a great programme for any photographer, and bear in mind that it is not necessary to have Photoshop installed to run Lightroom. Lightroom can stand on it's own two feet and is not just a Photoshop plugin.
Certainly at the student price I feel it's a must have.
on 2 December 2012
Having used Lightroom 3 for a while, I am impressed how LR4 has modified a few settings and made itself so much more usable. Some features such as clarity actually do exactly whta it says on the tin instead of a more subtle less effective function. Love it.
on 18 June 2013
Purchased this nearing the end of my college course where I had free access to Adobe Photoshop CS6, I can honestly say I ended up preferring to use this software over Photoshop for simple colour correction, changing the contrast and adjusting the toning of the images. I felt Lightroom was better at controlling the amount of distortion that crept into the photo when changing some sliders to extreme ends of the spectrum. For example, if there was an area of the photo that appeared completely black off the camera, I could lighten it enough to see the full detail of that shadow, yes ok, the quality was by no means perfect but it was definitely usable in a black and white photo where noise can be used for effect. Further to that, Photoshop struggled with the same task on the same photo, creating a lot more noise and not lightening the shadow to the degree that Lightroom could. I should mention that I shoot the photos in RAW format, i'm unsure of whether it would be capable of doing this to a photo shot in jpeg format to the same standard.

However this is not just image editing software, once you get your head around the different modules in Lightroom, you can start to create a much more organised layout for your photos allowing you to find exactly what you want, when you want. It's so easy to dismiss using some of the tools and modules on Lightroom thinking "I'm not sure what that does, I won't bother with it" but when you actually find out what you can do in Lightroom, you will find everything's that much easier, whether that's creating a 'preset' for certain tasks like lens correction or flicking though 300+ photos from a day out to mark your favorite photos to export into a photo book in the book module. I would highly recommend watching a few tutorials on Youtube to inform yourself on some of the tools and possibilities in Lightroom in order to make the most of this great software.

Finally I would like to add that I had no trouble with getting Adobe to send me the education discount licence code, from what I can remember it was sent to me within the 24h time period from sending them my proof of eligibility. You have the 30 day free trial to use with the disk (even if you have downloaded the free trail from adobe.com before) however if you allow it to update it to the most recent version the free trail will no longer be available if you have downloaded that version before.