on 30 September 2013
You know what's going to happen, yet the entire journey you take to get there is just spellbinding.

I love this film. I love the direction. I love the soundtrack. I love the cast & their acting. I love BBT's character, Karl.

It's story telling at it's simplest and most effective. Using veteran actors, virtually unknown actors and friends who are not actors is a masterstroke of casting, though this was mainly because of a very limited budget. The script is simple, true to the lifestyle of southern USA and makes you appreciate the working day and the working man.

Lucas Black, who plays the boy, is amazing at his first real role. JT Walsh, Robert Duvall & John Ritter are splendid in their roles too... but it's Karl that makes this film.

BBT has created a character that is as close to perfection as you could find in a film. I seriously doubt a film maker could create a better screen character than Karl.

The features are a bit dated, some interviews are about 15 years old... but still adds up to a decent package.

This movie is a genuine 100% reason why movies are made. Every emotion of the movie watcher is tested to the limits. I'm sure most will agree.
on 25 March 2015
It's years since I saw this film,and then only once,but it's stuck in my mind ever since and I've waited years for it to be repeated but it never has,so I was delighted when I saw it for sale on zoverstocks site.I was a bit nervous that I'd built it up in my memory to be more than it was but I needn't have worried! The story was just as powerful as I remembered,and the relationship between Karl and Frank just as warm and honest and heartfelt as i could ever have imagined.When Karl makes the decision to protect Frank and his mother from her abusive boyfriend,knowing that it would ultimately lead to him being returned to the state hospital where he's spent most of his life,it's both heartbreaking and uplifting,showing that some stories do have a happy ending,albeit one that breaks your heart a little and stays in the mind long after the credits have rolled.
on 15 January 2014
Like all blu-rays when compared to watching the DVD version or an old video one watching this film is a clearer, more detailed experience and in many cases it's like looking at the film for the first time as the film stock used to transfer to Blu-Ray is usually "worked on" first to get as good a copy as possible.
My taste in films may not be the same as yours so if you want to know about this film I suggest that you use the internet to find 2 or 3 reviews by experienced film reviewers and make your judgment whether to buy this film or not.
I have watched approx 600 films in my life and have a collection of over 200 Blu-Ray's and I rate this one 8/10.
on 15 May 2018
No subtitles as announced on the cover... Pretty dissapoointdd with that. I like to have subtitles on. To make sure I catch everything being said. I was very disappointed.
They shouldn’t say that on the cover if there are no subtitles...
The movie is amazing though...
on 13 July 2017
Arrived on time, very good condition and a great movie love it.
on 22 February 2018
Fantastic film! A gentle film on the whole, about a retarded man and his friendship with a boy.
on 9 July 2014
Amazing, since the TV series of Fargo just finished where Billy Bob Thornton stole the show I felt inclined to view some more of his work and what a better place to start than his directorial debut what he also stars in.

I won't tell you the plot because you can see that on IMDb but I love the simplicity of the storty and how Carl see's himself in the young boy he befriends and wants to try and protect, not a complicated plot, such a simple story but well done and a good twist. Highly recommend this to anyone
on 25 September 2016
An excellent film. Billy Bob Thornton is exceptional in this and I found myself totally engrossed in the story.
on 1 May 2017
Good film and so glad I got it...
on 15 December 2014
Probably the best film I have ever seen. Thornton is simply fantastic as Karl the gentle tormented soul released from the nervous hospital to go back home. A story that will make you smile, and cry. A tale of friendship, love and hope. Beautiful.