Format: DVD|Change

Since I am addicted to all the other shows on the USA Network, I put Covert Affairs on my DVR sight unseen. It also helped that the show was being called a cross between Alias and Chuck, two shows I absolutely love. While it didn't quite live up to that hype, I found myself hooked on the show by the time the first season ended.

The show centers around Annie Walker (Piper Perabo), a new recruit at the CIA. She is pulled from training early and begins her field work. Her new boss is Joan Campbell (Kari Matchett) who just happens to be married to CIA director Arthur (Peter Gallagher). There are sparks between her and her two co-workers, Jai Wilcox (Sendhil Ramamurthy) and the blind Auggie Anderson (Christopher Gorham).

Her first case finds Annie trying to retrieve secrets from a Russian only to have him shot by a sniper while she is in the room. From there, she tries to help a mother and son who have uncovered a coded IRA message, keep a senator's mistress from taking the fall for stolen secrets, and help an Iranian defect to the US through Niagra Falls.

What Annie doesn't realize is that the CIA wants her in the field because they are trying to flush out Ben Mercer (Eion Bailey). Ben and Annie met and had a steamy affair before he vanished. In the years since, Annie hasn't quite gotten over him enough to be ready to move on. Why did Ben leave without a word? What is the CIA's interest in him?

As I implied in the first paragraph, I wasn't hooked right from the start. The show introduced too many storylines. There was nothing wrong with any of them, but I needed time to get to know the characters first. For example, it's established in the pilot that Joan and Arthur have marital problems. At that point, I didn't care. Each episode has a main story and then brings in one or two of the storylines and advances them. Again, it would have helped if they'd have fewer stories to juggle so they could have advanced the story in every episode. By season two, the multiple storylines wouldn't have been the issue for me that it was here.

The main episode of each week is always fun and interesting. Annie is still very inexperienced, so watching her get into and out of some pretty hairy experiences is always entertaining to watch. I found the storyline with Ben fascinating and couldn't wait to find out what exactly was going on with him and why the CIA wanted to get in touch with him so much.

Most of the characters developed nicely, too. Annie is smart and resourceful, as she should be since she's the lead character. Jai has some interesting family relationships that come into play as the season progresses. We rarely see beyond Joan's business exterior, even with the marital troubles she has with Peter. But the most interesting character is Auggie. They really develop him in interesting ways. When I found out in the pilot that he was blind, I didn't think he'd ever leave the office, but they managed to find ways to show him in all kinds of environments. Next to Annie, he's the best character on the show.

The actors do a fine job bringing their characters to life each week. I've read some complaints at Piper's performance as Annie, but I always find it believable.

The only weak spot when it comes to characters is Annie's sister Danielle, played by Anne Dudek. Danielle really has nothing to do except try to flesh out Annie's character. She does that at times, although their sub-plots are usually the most predictable of any episode. That's no disrespect to Anne Dudek; she just doesn't have much to work with.

I should mention that the show lives up to its name. There are several steamy scenes. It doesn't get beyond PG-13 range, but there is definitely more content like that than anything else that USA Network has done to date.

The first season of the show consisted of eleven episodes, and they are presented here on 3 DVD's in their native wide screen and full surround. Extras include a few behind the scenes featurettes, a gag reel, a set tour, deleted scenes, and three commentaries. And, in a nice touch, the DVD's contain descriptive services for the visually impaired. I don't think I've even seen that on a DVD before, and considering one of the characters is blind, it's a great tie in.

I'm glad I gave the show a chance to grow on me because I got hooked on the first season of Covert Affairs. If you enjoy spy stories, be sure to check this one out.
on 25 February 2013
I have been searching amazon for entertainment on dvd because of the appalling tv nowadays, and I and my wife feel as though we have found a gem in covert affairs. It is a great series to own, and has given us a few hours of enjoyment. As usual the service was brilliant from amazon, we recommend this show highly.
on 22 February 2013
I purchased this Season 1, based purely on the reviews at amazon. This is was a real gem of a tv show. As soon as I finished watching season 1 I ordered Season 2. Good Character based show that said the stories in both season 1 and 2 are good even the weaker episodes are entertaining. An Inventive show worth spending your money on. Piper Perabo is a very good lead character, that said the entire cast make the show. I cannot wait to buy season 3
on 20 May 2013
I'm totally addicted to Covert Affairs! I loved it from the very beginning and can't wait for the next series to start: I hope you'll enjoy it too.

This first series is all about Annie Walker finding her feet as a new CIA agent. Annie is trying to strike a balance between her new glamourous but dangerous job and still having a life outside the Agency but doesn't find this easy.

Piper Perabo does a great job as Annie and makes her very believable as a character.
on 8 May 2014
Great new series showing how women have entered the world of spies and intelligence gathering and the subterfuge and deceit required to make a good field op. Definitely up for series 2.
on 24 June 2013
I THOUGHT THAT I WOULD NEVER SEE ANOTHER GREAT AMERICAN SPY DRAMA AFTER ALIAS BUT I WAS WRONG COVERT AFFAIRS IS SMART AND LOGICAL AND WORTH EVERY PENNY ROLL ON SEASON 2 WHEN I PURCHASE IT AND EVENTUALLY SEASON 3 WHEN IT IS RELEASED ON DVD
on 18 January 2015
typical modern action but not over the top violent action delivered quickly and efficiently.
on 25 July 2013
A well constructed CIA drama, how accurate it represents the activities of the CIA, is impossible to know. But it is well written, directed, and performed, making it very believable and entertaining.
on 2 December 2012
I saw an add for this and thought "give it a go". Love it. Have had to buy season 2 already and will be getting season 3 when got a few quid to spare.
on 26 September 2013
Brilliant! Really good, fast pase series, if you are fans of scandal, heores thats sort of genre you will love this series.