Format: Audio CD|Change

on 16 February 2011
This is, to sum it up to it's fullest, a Mogwai album. Listen to it for even the shortest time and you'll recognize the great sound of the band. But there's something else in there. Just because it's a Mogwai album doesn't mean it's a replica of albums of old. THere are subtle tweaks to the system here, and for the most part, they work brilliantly. The almost arcade-like feel to "Mexican Grand Prix" is both interesting and exciting. In a similiar vein, "George Square Thatcher Death Party" (Possibly the best song title of all time?) is another high powered song. At the other end of the spectrum, the opener "White Noise" is a floaty yet expansive song that opens the album perfectly. Incidentally, he production overall is excellent, with subtle touches like the quiet speaking in the former, or the robotic singing in the aforementioned "Mexican Grand Prix".

But really, the best moments here are when Mogwai really bring out the "Mogwai" feel. The finale, "You're Lionel Richie" is a fantastic 8 minutes sweep in the band's truest fashion, showing that even when they stick to their guns the result is just as good, if not better. The first single of Hardcore is "Rano Pano", another standout here. Capitalizing on one key riff and expanding it to a huge blast of sound near the end, it's one of the most exciting songs here.

However, it's not a complete classic. I mean, for the most part the songs are very good, but there's just something slightly missing. Despite some new changes, there's not really much innovation here. Like I said at the beginning, it is, despite everything, still a Mogwai album. And for me, that's a brilliant thing and for most people reading this, it'll be brilliant for them too. But at the same time, it's still not a great thing to hear the first half minute of a song and be able to guess where it's going. It's certainly not a big point and it's not really going to slow your enjoyment of what is, really, a great album. Just bear in mind that it's still not quite a Young Team.

One more thing! Not sure why I forgot to mention this earlier, but the extra disc is absoltuely worth it. The extra song, the 23 minutes long epic "Music For a Forgotten Future", is a beautiful sprawl with strings and great movements. All I can say is that the movie it was originally meant for must have sounded great!

But yes, Hardcore will Never Die, But You Will comes highly recommended for fans of the band, and for newcomers there's lots here to bring you into the band!
on 16 February 2011
Since "Come On Die Young", I've been waiting to a Mogwai album to blow me away from start to finish. "My Father My King" was awesome, but hardly an album. "Zidane" came close. All the others have truly inspired moments, especially "Hawk Is Howling". But for me, there was always one or two tracks that didn't quite do it for me or the 'production' wasn't deep enough or something else.

My wait is over. I am ecstatic about this album. No complaints. No doubts. No ifs or buts. Clearly, it is early days, and I've still got a lot to take in. But I have heard enough albums now to spot something that will last.

A fantastic album. Buy it!

Then buy Amplifier's The Octopus
Album umpteen for the Scottish art noise terrorists, and the once again, impeccably titled "Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will", proves - if nothing else - Mogwai write the best titles in the business. Any album with a song entitled `George Square Thatcher Death Party' makes quite clear what side of the political fence they straddle. For such an inventive linguistic approach, Mogwai are, aside from that, a curiously silent group in many ways : cover art is never iconic, merely a wrapper in which the music is delivered. For this album, the cover is a blue cityscape, lyrics are quietly excised from most if not all songs, and the shimmering, barely-detectable musical glide that forms a core of their work is dispensed in favour of an altogether more muscular musical language.

Possibly taking a cue from last years excellent "Special Moves / Burning" live set, the glacial ice of restraint - for Mogwai standards - has been removed. We're hardly talking Slayer here : but songs constructed of relatively recognisable elements such as verse, chorus, bridge, refrain, and rhythms that move forward from the opening bars of "White Noise" to the final, more atypical "Music From A Forgotten Future", it's clear there's a journey here : Mogwai never content to rest on their laurels, repeat themselves, going to some new destination. Whilst some of the songs see them fall into their trademarks ound of ascending/descending chords and cacophonous drums - "Rano Pano" - others, such as "Letters To The Metro" and "Mexican Grand Prix"for example, are the nearest Mogwai will probably ever come to a hit, with conventional 4/4 time scales, that - almost - but not quite resemble conventional rock.

All is not lost : by the time of the grand finale - the 23 minute soundtrack to an art piece by the sound of it - Mogwai are back in familiar, meditative territory. Few bands - only Sigur Ros and early Pink Floyd - create a similar atmosphere for me, where the mind wanders, and I become lost in an otherworld environment of thought and idea, where time itself travels at a different speed, my muse is exploring a world that never exists except in my imagination. Maybe that is what Mogwai are best at : soundtracks to the imagination.
on 23 March 2011
Have to admit I'd almost written Mogwai off. The last two albums had a few decent songs on but were a bit average. I only really checked this out in passing on Spotify. Needless to say I'd soon bought it.
A great mix of quiet and loud, interesting song dynamics and supreme production. Reminiscent in places of Rock Action but with a few more upbeat songs and melodies thrown in. The second disc is decent enough- I can't honestly say it'll spend a great deal of time in my CD player but it is worth a listen. I was blown away by the album though- check it out, it really is worth it.
VINE VOICEon 22 February 2011
Its a good album no doubt with some catch electro tunes and is superb value for the two discs. Long term mogwai fans wont be let down by this but I don't think its as good as the hawk is howling. Still thats just my opinion, enjoy :)
Mogwai make big music which simultaneously looks out
to the far edges of the universe and inwards to the
small spaces between the cells which contitute what
might remain of our souls. It is a beautiful noise!

Their seventh studio album 'Hardcore Will Never Die,
But You Will' sits well alongside their past glories.
(It is certainly every bit the equal of 2008's 'The
Hawk Is Howling'). Dense, luminous, inspiring sounds
to make our hearts beat faster. Music to remind us
that we are, indeed, sentient beings and fully alive.

There are ten pieces in the collection (eleven if you
aquire this 'limited edition' 2 CD set, which will buy you
an additional twenty three minutes of glorious sound in the
form of 'Music For A Forgotten Future'; a wonderfully realised
imaginative soundscape which truthfully should not be missed!)

First track 'White Noise' is a glorious invention with which
to open the show. The anthemic theme positively brims over
with raw, unprocessed and uplifting emotion. The slow, noble
chord progression is saturated with pounding percussion and
distantly howling guitar. A veritable cosmic storm!

'Mexican Grand Prix' shows subtle humour beyond its ambiguous
title. The stomping beat supports whispered and robotic vocal
intrusions which add a curious urgency to the proceedings.
The mood is light and it is more than possible to dance to it!

The driving riff of 'San Pedro' is a hoot too! It's a top down/
foot down kind of number which would work well as a soundtrack
to driving, at speed, across a desert landscape. At its core there
is a quirky, almost traditional, Highland melody working hard to
burst free of its bonds. Rumbustious, rugged and raw as hell!

On the other hand 'Too Raging To Cheers' is a powerfully lyrical
construction which builds from a delicate musical-box-like
introduction to a monolithic, earth-shaking conclusion.

As you might imagine, I found much to enjoy in 'How To Be A Werewolf'!
Although there are no clear verbal instructions the ambiguous
sonic clues do indeed lead us to the heart of a forest clearing
where a hoedown of sorts would appear to be taking place. The
night birds sing as my hairy brethren link arms in a gently
rolling do-se-do. A delightful and utterly magical idea! Howwwwl!

Final track 'You're Lionel Ritchie' comes on more like a
three-times-a-weapon-of-war than a lady. Bold and brash, it throws
out enough vibrant uncontained energy to melt a glacier!

'Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will' is a thrilling ride.
Mogwai are to be congratulated for their masterly achievement.

(11/3/14 : A lot of musical water has flowed under the
bridge since I wrote this and I'm still loving it to bits!)
on 12 June 2013
I'm not going to mess about. You're here because you're familiar with Mogwai, you know how spotty they can be, every album grows on you like lichen, they all have their achingly gorgeous highs, some treading of (deep, deep) water, most have their tepid, shallows. This album is just sonic money shots.
on 20 May 2011
...try though I might I just can't get it.
Mogwai have provided the soundtrack to my life for the last 6 years or so and in that time hardly 2 days have gone by without listening to something of theirs. Whatever the mood, there was a track that fitted. Why is it then that I just can't get into this album? I have tried listening to it as if it were not an actual Mogwai release and (shamefully I always thought I had an objective ear ) it came out even worse, I've played it everyday, once a week, left it a couple of weeks but still it doesn't work. Some tracks (shhhh....don't tell anyone ) I even skip over completely.
Sorry, but for some reason I'm feeling like the kid in the Hans Christian Andersen tale here as everyone else is saying how wonderful it is but for me it just doesn't quite click.
on 17 February 2011
I personally feel this sounds like a Mogwai best-of album, influences lifted from all their previous work but they've added some new sounds this time around. I really like the Krautrock type motorik beats on Mexican Grand Prix & George Square Thatcher Death Party. The keyboards are quality as well, a few tracks wouldn't sound out of place on an Errors album. They've not gone all 'dancey' or anything but it definitely adds another dimension to their sound whilst still retaining that famous Mogwai feel.

The raucous San Pedro will go down a storm live. The last 2 minutes of Death Rays will send a shiver down your spine. Rano Pano has a beautiful melody in the background of warm, distorted wall-of-sound guitars.

The only minor complaint I have is that, apart from maybe the latter half of You're Lionel Ritchie, there's not really any heavy-epics on the album. No Mogwai Fear Satan, Like Herod, My Father My King, Christmas Steps etc. Nonetheless it's still a perfectly enjoyable Mogwai album that also has crossover appeal. I've got a mate that listens to metal and a mate into dance music and they're both digging this, even my pop music loving girlfriend likes it. Rare.

Make sure you get the 2CD version. The 2nd disc contains the beatless Music For A Forgotten Future, which at 23:09 clocks in at Mogwai's longest track to date. It's a lovely ambient symphonic piece, great for cold, rainy days when you're indoors with the fire on. Hardcore! Buy it!!
on 12 March 2015
I love this album, for its sweeping atmospherics to its repetitive motifs all the way to its indie guitar thrashes. I'd avoided Mogwai for years, not realizing they are one of the UK's hidden gems. This album works everywhere, form the car to the gym to the living room and the darkened bedroom. Full of masterful keyboard and guitar interchange, distorted lyrics and great tunes.