on 2 April 2017
What a read! This is THE book which changed my reading tastes from the likes of James Patterson, Patricia Cornwell, Mark Bilingham and others. It is a gripping read
Single female, Catherine meets gorgeous Lee and a relationship begins. A love story you may think, a great catch? As Catherine's friends are captivated by Lee, he can do no wrong. A story of control, isolation and abuse which is frightening and heartbreaking.
This was my first venture into the world of psychological thrillers and it is certainly not the last. For me the plot was believable and it is that which made it all the more terrifying to read. It's also my first" Domestic Noir", " behind closed doors", as I often see this type of read is now called.
I read this book in October 2014 and still remember it vividly.
on 16 February 2017
OMG.... read the reviews before purchase and I certainly wasn't disappointed. I think "enjoyed" is the wrong word as the subject of the book is quite an uncomfortable read. Had me gripped from the first chapter, towards the end of the book I was carrying it everywhere with me as I needed to know what happened, but didn't want it to end. Exhausted when I had finished, didn't realise I was so tense. Brilliant read, would recommend it, will stay with me for quite a while.
on 6 March 2017
Brilliant read couldn't put this book down,it was a slow build up story of a girl who falls for a guy who turns violent.and this story goes back in time when she met him to present when struggling with ocd.brilliant writing.and a fantastic ending.recommend this book.
on 13 July 2015
I must say I felt a little lost when I read the first three chapters as they didn't seem to flow together so I started again and just kept going. I read them again when I finished the book and everything clicked then. It was probably just me so don't let this put you off as the story itself is very well written. This is a story about domestic abuse and how it changed Cathy's life.
Cathy in 2003/4 is a carefree party loving girl, plenty of friends and plenty of one night stands. Confident, outgoing and living life to the fullest. Cathy in 2007/8 lives in constant fear. Suffering from OCD and PTS Cathy's day begins early for her to complete her rituals. Check the Windows, check the door locks, check the curtains are covering the right amount of panes. Check everything 8 times, then recheck again. Don't take the same route to work or back home. She knows the Windows are locked and doors but what if she didn't check right, check again.
The story moves between the two time periods, cleverly written as the introduction of a new man in each time zone changes Cathy's life in both. Lee has a brilliant physic, very attentive and very controlling, but like a lot of violent men/women they are charming to the outside world. The victim pays the price behind closed doors.
In 2007/8 Cathy meets Stuart, a doctor that has moved in the flat above her. Stuart understands Cathy, to a degree and with his help seeks the doctor that can help her.
When Lee is released Cathy knows she won't be safe.
The author has put a tremendous amount of research into this condition and her real life work in the police shows. I really liked how the time periods were linked as one Cathy grew weak the other began to take control back. I thought the reaction of Cathy's friends was written well, the betrayal and ultimately the strength of friendship. There are some sexual scenes in this book but due to the nature of the story they are warranted.
I very much enjoyed this book a perfect thriller from a talented writer.
on 14 June 2017
Thoroughly, thoroughly enjoyable. The twin threads of plot were beautifully done. The tension notched higher and higher until Catherine's dash to Heathrow which had my heart literally racing and turned my mouth as dry as a stone. Highly recommended for lovers of psychological thrillers.
on 8 April 2017
I have probably read 20 books this year based on psychological thrillers and this book is, without question, the very best. I didn't want to put it down yet didn't want it to end. I now have to attempt to find a read as captivating if that's possible.
on 16 February 2017
This book was recommended by a friend and it didn't disappoint. Such as page turner. The only down side is that other books seem quite dull in comparison!
on 13 November 2013
I started this book wondering where it would lead. I was even a little bored at the start but it warmed up quickly - do stick with it, because for a first novel it really is brilliant. I knew nothing about OCD so it was quite an insight to see how exhausting and debilitating it must be, but what was even better was to see, as the story unfolds how she fights back. I was gripped by the storyline in the end and HAD to know the ending. This is quite a different novel from the usual procedurals, whodunnits etc - very refreshing! The best bit at the end was to discover that she has written more so I downloaded the next one immediately & can't wait to read it.
on 24 June 2017
I chose this five star rating because I could not see anything that was not relevant. The plot from both sides of the main protagonist's experience was cohesive and moving. A thoroughly entertaining read, leaving a chill on the final page.
on 20 May 2012
This is a real page turner, a great read, though very dark at times. I am in awe of the fact the author wrote the first half in a month, which may have influenced the pace of the novel. Also flitting between the before and after stories which ran in parallel helped to make it a more intriguing and compulsive read for me. There is a striking contrast in personality between the main character during the build up to the domestic violence and afterwards where we find she has developed OCD and general anxiety. It gave me some understanding of how women can get drawn into such relationships and then find it hard to escape, and it made me glad that I have never experienced it. Perhaps all young women should read this so they are made more aware of how easily it can happen. For someone who has experience it though, this may be a very unpleasant read. Having done a psychology degree, but not covered OCD, I checked whether adult onset of OCD can occur, and found that it certainly can in young women who have experience difficult relationships.