on 18 April 2012
This cook book is fabulous, not only does the food look good but taste good as well! Who knew vegan food could be so much fun! The recipes are varied and easy to follow. There isn't a huge long list of ingredients that you have to use and the ingredients she does use are available in any supermarket, at a push a health food store. There is something for everyone in here. This is the first vegan cook book I have purchased and I don't think I will need another. My husband who is an ardent meat eater is also impressed as it's not just lentils and beans for dinner.

The only drawback is as it is an American cookbook you would need to ensure you have a set of measuring cups for the recipes so you're not having to check the conversions for each recipe. Also some of the ingredients are the american term so I had to do a bit of comparison on google first BUT this isn't the end of the world.

I know a few reviews have mentioned the amount of oil she uses but you don't have to use that much, common sense can prevail here.

I would definitely recommend this book to any one wanting to follow a vegan diet or lower their meat consumption and seeing as there are plenty of cupcake recipes I'm sure it will keep everyone happy!
on 18 February 2014
I'm going vegan and this is the first book that I have bought and made vegan recipes from. It's pretty, has recipes for all types of meals, from starters and breakfasts to desserts, and it has main courses, which is what I'm finding more difficult to see in other books.
I've made lasagna, pasta bolognese, pasta alfredo, morocan BBQ seitan, pancakes and a cake, and they turned out good and tasty. However, none of the recipes that I made turned out with the same look as the photos in the book.
I also wish the book had more photos of the dishes, to see how it should turn out before making it.
Overall, I like it, and I use it very often.
review image review image
on 5 June 2012
Having been a fan of Chloe since I first found her website and made her avocado pesto pasta (must try!!) I was so excited to hear she had a book. It's just
as I expected,all the recipes are easy and the ingredients easy to find in the UK. Get the book,you wont regret it.
on 29 August 2013
Most of the recipes are excellent. Chloe gives excellent explanations on how to use vegan ingredients as substitutes for non vegan alternatives. My family and I are meat eaters, but we appreciate the added health and environmental impact of a vegan diet. Just a word of warning, in my opinion Chloe uses an excessive amount of salt in her dishes but it is easy to throw in less.
on 3 July 2012
Great cookbook for vegans, really inspirational. Chloe's recipes are varied and original, and feel like a real treat to eat, rather than slogging your way through another bowl of kale and quinoa.
I have only been fully vegan for five months and was a bit worried about how to make my meals interesting enough for my meat eating husband and mother. Chloe offers some really nice recipes with sensible ingredients, she shows how to cater for dinner parties and everyday meals. she includes recipes that can be made in advance and tells you how long they can be kept in the fridge or freezer, her cake recipes are wonderful my mum didn't even realize they are vegan. Chloe also includes a very easy recipe to make your own seitan, its very good.

Ive got quite a few vegan cookbooks now but I can honestly say that this is the best one so far. I am looking forward to more cookbooks from Chloe. I can highly recommend this book
on 1 April 2013
This was the first vegan book I purchased that I have really enjoyed. There are some really tasty recipes in it. It is well made and has easy to follow recipes. It doesn't feel like a specialized cookbook, just simply a good book to have on anyone's kitchen shelf. Vegan cooking is really starting to progress. Exciting times ahead. Big fan of this chef.
on 28 May 2014
I bought this book out of desperation when my son suddenly announced he had become a vegan (having been a vegetarian for a year). I was particularly interested in cakes/desserts as I could not envisage not using eggs. however, I made the cupcakes and the brownies and they were lovely and you could not tell the difference. the photos in the book are very attractive and the tips on vegan cooking very useful. I have always used a teacup successfully when American recipes call for cups.
on 22 September 2014
exactly what I was looking for. I am reaching 30 and have decided to ditch my ignorant meat and dairy filled diet and rid it of anything to do with the cruel farming industry that I have sadly just opened my eyes to.
I am a newbie and have a pessimistic husband...so i need to get it right for my every intension is to cook my way to a new way of thinking for all my family. this book will work wonders I'm sure, easy to follow recipes which look and sound delicious a wide variety of savoury and sweet snacks and treats. I can't wait to get started.
on 24 October 2013
This cookbook is a keeper. I received it as a gift and can only thank the person that gave it to me a million times over.

At first I was intimidated by the recipes, and even put off using this book in favour of another, easier one. Recently, however, I decided to dive into this one and haven't looked back.

Every recipe yields great results, every time. You can tell that Chloe Coscarelli is a great chef and that she really is passionate about great food. Luckily, she gives tips on how to make nearly every recipe in advance and this can be a great time-saving measure for those busy weeks.

The LA Style Chimicurri Tacos are to die for, and we make them when we have guests around for a casual get-together. The butternut squash, lentil and apple curry stew is also amazing- don't be freaked out by the addition of fruit, it works together very well.

The only thing I am still apprehensive to try is the Indian Buffet, but that will come soon as well. I also haven't made anything with nutritional yeast flakes as of yet as I have only just discovered where I can buy them locally.

There is one recipe which has fallen flat for me twice, and that is the cinnamon buns. For some reason they didn't rise either time very well, and my yeast was very foamy and active. The first time I made a major error, but the second I didn't and they were still quite dense. I think I will have a look into it and try again- perhaps the rising area was too cold or there was a draft.

The peanut butter Buckeyes were a huge hit amongst my guests.

Overall, I recommend this cookbook to anyone looking for great results with a very small bit of extra effort and preparation. The elation on the faces of the people I serve after cooking from this book is worth the extra five to ten minutes put in. It is really a quality addition to any cook's collection.

[Update] I have now made even more of the recipes from this book, including the Indian buffet as mentioned above, and the more I cook from this book, the more I love it. It gets easier each time and the results keep getting better. It's a really great buy.