Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£5.49

on 11 November 2013
Having just finished "I dreamed of Africa" I read the reviews written by "others" with an open mind,
While I agree with some comments of a privileged upbringing of the author leading to acquiring light aircrafts and an upper classed social lifestyle, the "reader" can not help but "feel" for her "trials", "loses" and "struggles" through her early years in Africa.
She had the gift of giving the "reader" an insight of the landscape of Africa and a brief glimpse of the culture of its peoples.
I "lived" and "breathed" parts of the book and I enjoyed her written work but I would not want to read anymore of her books as for me, I instalment was enough for me.
She did indeed "live the dream".
on 26 June 2008
It is a best booked I have read in my whole life and I have been reading many books. I am very interested about african culture and wildlife- it is all in that book. And I cried then Emanuele died. It is a very moving book. I think Kuki Gallmann is very brave woman. I will read that book many more times and I recommend it to everybody.
on 1 November 2000
I have read this book three times....it has a lasting effect on the soul....although there are times when it makes unbearable reading.....the author still has the capacity to give hope...even in her darkest moments......I admire this woman deeply and think of her often....
on 24 February 2014
This book took me back to the wild parts of Africa which are serenely beautiful but also unforgiving. I could almost smell it from the pages. What wonderful work of the Foundation has come out of a double disaster. This book renews one's faith in the human spirit, & makes one long for a time when civilisation will realise what a parasite it is.
on 22 June 2013
I would recommend this book to anyone, whether you like Africa or not! It is a true story and as such, just overwhelming, really. Stayed with me for days, afterwards. A really 'spiritual' read.
on 5 May 2013
First half of the book auther comes across as a girl from a privileged background full of her own comfortable useless life. Later on the setting up of the wildlife reserve is more interesting.
on 6 March 2014
Wonderful descriptions of African people, flora and fauna. Quite a sad book. Felt the end part which is about saving the rhino was brief and could have had more details about what she actually did for them apart from fly around getting money etc.
on 4 March 2015
I have not enjoyed a book so much for a long time. Positivity shines through the many tragedies the author endured and her love for this beautiful country makes a wonderful story.
on 26 December 2010
If you expect a book on Africa, its people or its customs, you will be disappointed as this book is entirely on the lives of rich white people in Africa who seem to only be in contact with the natives when they enter their services as servants. It comes across as rather snobbish,as the authors describes all her friends as special, educated and artistic, which makes you wonder whether she considers everyone else as second-class citizens. African tribes and their customs are not described at all, they are only described in their roles as servants to the white. If you expect an exciting well-written novel, you will also be disappointed. At least I found it very badly written, boring and more a "look at my own navel" account rather than a good character description of the people surrounding the author. The description of her sons death is very touching and probably the best and most insightful part of the book.
on 28 December 2012
Wonderful book, so well written. I just loved it. having been bought up in Kenya it was great.
I would love another of her books.