on 6 September 2013
This is the best fly screen I've bought. I can mention others as advertised on TV ******DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY****** this one is great. I bought a new one every year for a few years now and this one looks like it's going to last well past next summer if not longer. I did have use a bit of thought and extra Velcro and it looks great.

The fly screen fits well and if you have wooden door frame just use the pins provided. . It keeps all the flies out of my kitchen so no more nasty sticky fly strips.

However I have a UPVC door frame and there wasn't enough /adequate Velcro provided. Also as it is generally longer than most doors and not shorter like other fly screens, flies that hit the screen fall down to the ground and then WONT fly in through the bottom.

With a bit of thought I ordered extra Velcro (5 meters x 20mm) which basically goes all the way round the door frame and then stuck the screen to the whole door frame and it won't come down now. You might think this is going to cost you more but in the long run you'll have a screen that stays up for years and doesn't look battered/tatty/ripped due to the constantly flapping in the wind. All other fly screens I've had and this one come with about 12 white 5cm x 20mm Velcro pieces and the wind has taken them off or ripped the screen and even fallen down in the sun. The magnets are quite strong and don't open in high winds/gales with the door open.

I used white Velcro as mine came with black and if you want to take down the screen in the winter you'll be left with black Velcro strips on a white frame unless your frame is black or even brown(you can get almost any colour to match you door/framer, might cost a bit more). I bought the black fly screen, the white one comes with the same amount of white Velcro strips and white pins.

Some under folding on the edges required if it's just a bit too wide, Start from the top and mark your centre first and work one side at a time from the top centre outwards and down the each edge once you have run the Velcro along all the edges of the frame. If you have some alcohol wipes for cut and grazes use these to clean the edges of the door frame as the grim build up on UPVC doors will shorten the life of the sticky Velcro and it will come off sooner(no need to dry if you use the wipes as the alcohol in them will evaporate). If your good at basic DIY this will be a doddle. I'm not bragging but I've really thought about how it's going to go up and where I need to tuck in the edges and its looks brilliant. All my neighbours have got the same ones in white but I think black looks better as the white will show the dirt sooner unless you're going to put a new one up every year.

Being a bloke I did not use the frilly bit to go at the top and it still looks fine.

Lastly I think Black is better as you can see out and the white is more opaque(see my photos of the black screen looking out.

See all my photos. If you need a little advise leave a comment and I'll answer.

********* 12 month update *********

Hi, just thought I'd put update on here about this fly screen ..... it's been 12 months now and the fly screen is still up and still going strong. The blacks slightly faded and looking like an ink purple colour but still work and looks fine. The only let down was a velcro which is in itself is ok but the sticky back adhesive has started to perish in the direct weather. However with gale force winds, scorching sunny days and the best of the british weather or the worst of it as it normally is, the fly screen has stayed up and was well worth the money.

I'm going to buy another and put it away but I do expect this screen to last at least another year if not longer.

******up date May 2016*******

Sorry to everyone who has purchased this flyscreen recently, I did not know that the quality had changed even the supplier. I've only just got round to using the second one I purchased and found the substandard quality it's just fell to pieces. You're better off just buying a boxed one off the high street many retailers are selling them. Check the hemming tape round the edge to make sure it's stuck down properly and the tape and mesh are of good quality and you should be ok following my process. I've gone to town on my second (first one which was good quality lasted 2 years and 10 months) now and built-in a windbreak on some supports so hopefully it will last a bit longer. If you're quite clued up and have got a DIY bug you will be able to figure out what I've done using curtain wire as windbreaks and bracing in the middle which is only connected at the top. If you need any help or you got any questions send me a message in the comments are asked using ask question option.
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
66 Comments| 147 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 July 2017
 So cool to watch the magnets "find" each other when the curtain is released. Sometimes it can take a few seconds for the lower two to get together.....sometimes they need a bit of encouragement. They curtain comes with some double-sided tape patches, but I used a glue gun to great effect. Putting them up is very easy, just make sure the are level and are close enough. Once up you can just push through them (even carrying a tray of food) and they just close behind you. I can even wheel my bike through them without the handlebars, brake levers, pedals or anything else getting caught up.
on 5 July 2017
I got this today, and it's fallen down already. The 'strong' magnets are not strong. Trying to fit the curtains was not easy. The magnets have to be totally aligned to close properly. Now don't get me wrong. One of the curtains I got wrong. But even the other one that I did perfectly is fallen down. You have to be so, careful coming through them. My son was a bit rough and they fell to bits!

They are two pieces of curtain. But the pretty top bit, I did not even get. So it was just two plain black net curtains..No pretty top edging, like the description pic, is in the packet, well, mine didn't.

I can rejig them, and think how to reinforce them, and for the price I can't really moan. But still not happy. Even so, money is precious, so I'm cross. So please read this review and think before you buy these.
on 28 June 2014
I can't give this 5 stars, because as other purchasers have said, it takes a bit of fiddling about to get them to hang properly.
Ie, I threaded net curtain wire through the top channel, and had to put 2 hooks in the wooden lintel above my back door. Also as we have shutters on the outside, I tied some string to the hinges then safety pinned them to the curtains themselves to stop them blowing about. When I can get some thin dowelling, I will thread through the bottom channel to give them some weight.

All that said, the positives are, they were a low price - around the £3.60 mark per pair. The length is perfect for my doors - 2.1m and the net itself seems quite robust - stiffer than net curtain net. The magnets connect very well (as long as the curtains themselves don't catch on something.)

Result is, I have my back door wide open and no flies in my kitchen!
on 13 July 2016
I bought this item last year & it was perfect, fitted really well could not fault it, got a bit tatty by the end of Summer & as they're so cheap I just binned it & bought another. Despite it saying it is exactly the same item it clearly is not!! The one I received this year was A LOT longer & wider, the magnetic clasps are rubbish. They don't come together properly
on 28 April 2017
Good price for curtain. Had an exact curtain for many years. It finally died of old age. Thought this price was very good, unfortunately this one is not of the same quality. Nevertheless I will give it a try and be prepared to be amazed.
on 12 July 2017
Bought this towards the end of last year ,it was no major job putting it up ,I put it up last month and it works a treat the magnets work very well ,
easy to walk in and out of my back door and the cat has no problem walking in and out ,
No more fly's getting in or anything else with wings.
looks good as well.
on 11 May 2017
We have a small porch from our back door and there's a wooden door frame as you exit it- it took me 15 mins to put up, get the length right so its 2-3mm off the floor, fold
the excess at the top and sides in neatly pin it all securely. Its got to keep the bugs out, as long as the magnets keep working, should last ages and for the price, well, 1 a year isn't amiss.
on 10 October 2013
I bought these as my father-in-law has something similar on his farm in Australia and they work a treat.
These are a poor substitute though. If you're going to attach them to a door without pinning them, good luck as the pads are not great and if the door isn't exactly the right size it won't work as the pads won't stick to the mesh.
Using the pins, these will probably last the season but they rip easily and all it takes is catching one with your foot and it's gone.
They're cheap and used correctly will last a season. That's it.
on 23 April 2016
Arrived when it said it would. Have put it up and it does what its supposed to. although it says it's approx 210 cm in length and mine is not even 190cm in length so I have a gap of about 4 inches at the bottom of the door and it states it has 9 magnets but mine has only got 7 magnets. Had to use extra pins to put it up as only got 6 with the door net!