on 1 May 2014
What's to say? It's awash with typos, skims lightly over topics, contains a lot of shameless plugs and even contains some authorial misconceptions ( my favourite was 'man functions a lot like less' - it should; man uses the less pager to display info) that said it is very easy to understand and it's very cheap - well thats why you're looking at it right?

As a linux user of some 6 years, I bought this book as a light reading alternative to a real jargon brick of a book I'm working on. The writing style is verycleR to new users and covers a broad range of commands.

Where this book falls down is in it's content. It's all over the place - lengthy detailed description of how to change file and directory ownership, almost just a casual nod to installing software. The author clearly wrote the book to sell a book, but it feels like a 1st draft. The author skims some parts because he doesn't have a full comprehension of the answer. I see he has an ubuntu guide, so my guess is there's almost nothing on package management because he doesn't know RPM, Yum (wow that read like a wikipedia first paragraph) or Yast.

This could easily be a 5* book, but the author has not put the effort in to plan it out. I did notice his categories are in the same order as a couple of lpi texts, so I figure the structure was lifted from another text. Could really do with rethinking from a beginners perspective.

All in all i enjoyed the read. It was a refresher for me and i completed it in 6 days of commuting. That said the only new thing I learned was the apropos command, but then it's the same as man -k which i did know but isn't covered. I suppose that's it; this is a great guid for understanding what a command is used for. You just might not always get told how to use it.
11 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
VINE VOICEon 22 October 2015
I got this as I was frustrated with having to go through larger Linux books to find out simple commands. I have an understanding of several operating systems so were familiar with general concepts, but this little book did cover the main things required to get started with Linux. I will have to get other works to go deeper but at least now I am up an running. This is a good little starter book, for most varieties of Linux, especially that used in Raspberian with the Raspberry Pi. I recommend it.
on 13 November 2017
Linux command line (terminal) has similarities with MSDOS but is far more powerful. Thus guide is good for Linux users who want to make the most of the Terminal.
on 9 March 2014
A brilliantly structured and clearly written introduction to using the Linux command-line interface. Topics are split up with a chapter to explain concepts and terminology and a separate chapter to detail actual commands and their use. Even with a knowledge of DOS the Linux command line is not intuitive. So this book is an indispensable tool to help you get started understanding and using the Linux CLI. An amazing bargain at this price!
on 4 January 2015
I hunted a book that was aimed at novices but not patronising, and came across this. Granted it was free but still surprised by how good it was. It introduced all the basic concepts clearly with examples and covered what I needed to become a decent Linux user. You will quickly reach the limits of this book but guess that was the purpose so can't fault it for that.
For a Linux newbie I would recommend this book
on 29 June 2013
I bought this to help me resolve problems with an Android-based tablet PC. (Android was developed based closely on Linux). I knew nothing about Linux or Android (although I used to have quite a good knowledge of MSDOS), and this little guide proved invaluable in coming to terms with the basics of Android. Nicely low-priced, and downloaded to my Kindle app whilst I was away from home. Much appreciated.
on 13 May 2014
If you are really new to command line and command line Linux I would recommend this book. It doesn't go into great detail but it is a good start ad you can always use it as an introduction to Linux command shell etc... This s good @ a low cost price. I wouldn't pay any more than 2 pound for it. But would recommend it, for beginners in which I was when I bought this.
on 22 January 2013
Well written and ideal for someone new to Linux as it leads you gently into the topic and is not full of jargon.
At this price it is good value for money. Similar information can be found on the internet for nothing but it's much better to have this on your kindle so you can refer to it when trying out the commands.
You have nothing to lose by buying this !
on 21 March 2014
Must be the only technical manual that I have read through from cover to cover. Brilliantly and engagingly written with a lot of interesting Linux/Unix history much of which helps to explain why things are done the way they are. Would definitely recommend it to anyone starting out with Linux or someone who, like me, has been struggling with Linux over several years.
on 23 September 2017