on 18 July 2017
This is my first Russell Blake adventure and I'm struggling at the outset. The first chapter should have held excitement and a modicum of style but it was too wordy instead and badly phrased . The second chapter has Meg answering the phone with a single "Hullo". She said this in "British-accented English"? Not sure what that is when it's at home but "her Yorkshire heritage was obvious from the single word". Really? I'll continue to read on in the hope that it will improve...
on 20 March 2012
Also enjoyed by a non-thinking man like myself.

This was a very enjoyable and engrossing action-adventure thriller.
I have read a few books by this author, and like them this was very decently written.

There is plenty of witty dialogue and interesting characters and locations. The action scenes were quite realistic and the mystery elements were well handled.
This was very fast moving but not at the expense of character development and the plot actually made sense.

I even learned a few things.
on 30 June 2017
Good story set in believable circumstances. An adventure with romance that pleases the senses. A great read for relaxing times.
on 9 July 2012
This book reminded me of The Da Vinci Code, but if that was a 9/10, this was only an 8 [hence I gave it four stars]. But I enjoyed it enough to search for, buy and read other Russell Blake books - and with so much unread on my Kindle that IS a complement to the author.
on 31 July 2017
Brilliant read!
Couldn't put it down until I had finished it!
on 29 July 2017
A good read slightly disappointing ending. I would still recommend this book to those who enjoy a thriller for a plane journey.
on 21 July 2013
Russell Blake is fast becoming my favourite author. I read a snippet of this book after finishing one of his 'Assassin' books & decided I would buy it. The story is well paced & the end of each chapter makes you want to start the next to see what happens. The characters are believable and described well enough to form a mental image of them. There are twists & turns throughout & the climax, without spoiling it, really makes you think 'what if...'. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes the mystery & intrigue type novels. One day Tom Cruise or better still Daniel Craig should play Dr Cross in the movie, it would be a winner!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 11 August 2012
The Voynich Cyper is a well written story. I have enjoyed reading it, Dr Cross is a very likeable character and intelligent. But I have found it a little bit too easy. Too easy and too quick to decipher the document and a little bit predictable. I guessed quite early who 'liberated' the scroll (unusual for me). I would have loved more suspense and maybe more twists in the quest. But as it is, it is a very good story and I recommend it to anyone who wants action, a bit of conspiracy and a page turner. This book surely is. I will definitively check other titles from the author.
on 14 October 2012
What a follow up to the 1st Dr Cross book.
This has left me wanting more from this series, surely there will be more adventures for him???
The ending to this should be completely unbelievable but yet it isn't, for those conspiracy theorists among us, you could imagine this happening.
A enjoyable read and I hope we meet Steven Cross again.
on 4 February 2014
.... but by a writer rather than by a hack. Some of the same general ideas (massive conspiracy, corrupt churchmen, international goings on, codes and ciphers) but a much higher standard of writing.

Not great literature, but a vast improvement on the general standard of the field.