Customer reviews

Abominations (Gwen Farris Book 1)
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 15 July 2012
I would never have ordered this book going purely by the title alone, I just happened to read the review which intrigued me. Abominations? I can understand where the title came from after reading the book, but previously I had assumed it was some kind of zombie or vampire gore-fest, when all along it is an alternate world novel with elements of steampunk and magic. The whole premise seems to be very well thought out, and I enjoyed it immensely, apart from Gwen being just a tiny bit too good to be true.
I have now ordered "Monsters" Is this another slightly misleading title?
on 4 March 2012
A really interesting novel with a strong Steampunk feel.

Gwen Farris wakes up in a whole new world, playing the part of a human sacrifice. Saved we follow her steps as she begins to adapt to a strange new world where magic rather than technology holds sway.

I like the characters, it's got some great twists on a familiar theme (A bombs anyone?), and the perenial steampunk favorite Airships.

I look forward to the book in the series (there is more of this story to tell, and the world presented looks to provide opportunities for other tales too), and will be buying some of P S Powers other books too.

Why don't you do the same!
on 12 March 2015
I enjoyed this. It's a great story, even though the heroine feels just like Mr. Hartley in another series by the same author.

It would have qualified for 5 stars were it not for too many silly typos.

Also, the last 20% of this book is trailers for other books by the same author. Given the ease of samples on Kindle this is totally unnecessary. I do not need to waste valuable memory on samples.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 18 September 2013
A very good, subtle story with the legs to carry you to the other two books. There are some things that seem overstated - but resolve in the other two books. The main character comes across as a bit too good to be true, but is basically stranded in a Victorian style civilisation where hard work and bettering yourself are approved of.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse