on 8 March 2016
Traces the lives of three soldiers ,one German ,two American during World War II.Black and white which was a classic of its time ,but has "dated" a little bit.The early scenes have echoes of From Here to Eternity on the American time -line.Brando is good,but mangles his German accent,.Montgomery Clift is intense anddean Martin is ,well ...Dean Martin ...always watchable.
on 29 May 2015
Very well written and constructed as a wartime romance epic goes. See Mai Britt in her most ravishing and persuasive role. Film's performance is embraceable because of it's attention to detail not always evident in other late nineteen-fifties films. And I found the dialogue memorially particular for its day. There's not much going on in it that you could regard as just matinee, and as far as presentation goes, it still delivers, so to speak, after all this time.
on 24 December 2012
Enjoyed it so much didn't realize we were watching a black and white film. The picture quality was remarkable, forget colour and blu ray its the story that matters. The story was good showing the human side of what happened in those dark years. Marlon Brando played a fantastic part as a German officer. Our only small complaint was it went on a bit too long, could have been a little shorter.
on 1 April 2018
Saw this many years ago, well made. Thoroughly enjoyed it again. Good copy.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 13 December 2015
Having only seen this film many years ago, I am now glad to have the DVD in my collection.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 3 April 2003
An admirable attempt to balance the human motivations on both sides. This film sticks in my memory as being one of the few that offered something of a balanced view - although there is still A LOT left unsaid. At least, we don't get the one-dimensional sadist Nazis and actually are allowed to empathise with real people on both sides. What a change from the unsubtle propoganda that typifies a thousand other "great" war films where every victim of atrocities is a faultless hero.
on 5 June 2011
Saw this film around 1959, aged nine & with my mum in a small cinema in Birch Lane, in Bradford, West Yorks as the main feature after the obligatory 'My Friend Flicka', 'Bugs Bunny' and chewing on a quarter of Midget Gems. Even at that age I was mesmerised by this drama (& terrified of what lay under the bandages of Brando's wounded fellow officer). Some years later I got the same feelings of the helplessness of men (& women) in war when I saw Carl Foreman's 'The Victors'- especially the deserter's execution, the racism to fellow soldiers & the (to me at the time )shooting of the pup. More modern films may have more gritty realism but only certain ones affect one with what I associate personally as a need to leave the cinema in silent, respectful reflection, oblivious to the cacophony of others around me. Others like this have been 'Soldier Blue' 'Saviour' (Dennis Quaid),the disturbing Russian film 'Come & See' & the recent harrowing but true 'City of Life & Death'.

See 'The Young Lions', look beyond the obvious aged method acting & film techniques -just concentrate on the story of these three different charactors. Ignore the schmaltzy 50's Hollywood ending which only exists in the film.

Do what I did - buy this old classic, enjoy it for what it is and then go back to Amazon and order the brilliant original book by Irwin Shaw and get a feeling for American war literature at its best which equals Dalton Trumbo ('Johnny Got His Gun')& James Jones (The Thin Red Line, Whistle, From Here to Eternity).

p.s after the film show which cost my mum 1/3d for her seat & 9d in old money for mine, we'd walk home eating fish & chips for the grand sum of 1/0d (one shilling -=5p) each - great days in which we were poor but went to the pictures twice a week giving me a lifelong love of cinema & Yorkshire Haddock! Can't afford these outings anymore but God Bless Amazon for helping me relive these times with a bottomless choice & excellent service.
regards from darlingbehomesoon
on 1 October 2010
I had read the book by Irwin Shaw maybe 30 years ago but never seen the film or even if available until Amazon came along. The perspectives of 3 lives and how people reacted to the onset of War was pretty good....and how they tackled the issues they faced with general trepidation.
Marlo Brando was excellent, Mongomery Clift good but Dean Martin, miscast, too old, and looked almost false.
on 16 November 2010
This has a different ending from that which I remember. Did they make two versions, which was quite common at the time, one for the USA & one for Europe. If I am correct then this would be the USA version.
on 4 September 2014
This is a very excellent movie about the second world war it last 2 hours and 45 minutes. Several events are located on different places in North Africa and some places in Europe. We have been sitting all the time of the evening with our complete family in the living room to watch this movie on television 40 years ago.