on 12 September 2016
There are a lot of awesome short stories in this anthology, all of which share a theme of "Home Improvements". It includes a headline story that will excite Charlaine Harris fans, a Sookie Stackhouse story. But there's a lot of other awesome fiction by other authors here too. My favourites are as follows:

In Brightest Day by Toni P. Kelner.
A fun mystery story that packs in Loa, A Revenant Architect and an engaging narrative.

Wizard Home Security by Victor Gischler.
A tale of wizards, magic and subterfuge. Quite entertaining.

Gray by Patricia Briggs.
A wonderfully developed Urban Fantasy short that screams out for a full novel/series/more stories. A vampire comes home.

Blood On The Wall by Heather Graham.
A game of cat and mouse between a P.I. and a local troublemaker suddenly get interrupted by a more dangerous game. UF/Detective noir brilliance.

The Strength Inside by Melissa Marr.
A great UF story that looks at something a bit more different. A story of balances - Tradition against Progress. Security against Sacrifice. Excellent, I'll definitely be looking for more stories and books by Melissa Marr.

Woolsley's Kitchen Nightmare by E. E. Knight.
A fun take on Urban Fantasy that isn't quite so Urban. Gastronomical shenanigans await you in this lively story. (Fans of the recent Sin du Jour novellas by Matt Wallace will love this one!)

Through This House by Seanan McGuire.
An October Daye story that falls between the events of the novels "Late Eclipses" and "One Salt Sea". A sure fire hit for any Toby Daye fans.

The Path by K. J.. Rozan.
A great story where the spiritual plane intersects with corporeal existence when a sacred shrine is at stake.

Rick The Brave by Stacia Kane.
An action packed tale featuring ghosts, magic and strange bedfellows.

Full-Scale Demolition by Suzanne McLeod.
Pixies, magic and scaled beasts collide in this fun UF romp around London.

There are other stories in this anthology that I haven't mentioned - all of which are great. But the ones I have listed above are the ones I really enjoyed the most! In every case, I'm going to be looking out for further stories by those authors. This anthology is basically a gateway drug to a severe Urban Fantasy addiction. Be warned! ;)
on 9 December 2012
Fantastic collection of short stories with a lot of wit, surprises and excellent writing styles. Unfortunately I liked Charlaine Harris' story least but I still give this book 5 stars as all the other stories were brilliant - they make you want to read more. I don't want to give away too much but if you like contact with all kind of supernaturals (including working zombies and ghosts) doing home improvements or hindering these, then this book is for you!
One person found this helpful
on 1 May 2014
This is much better than Games creatures Play. I liked all the stories but my favourites are IF I HAD A HAMMER, [Charlaine Harris] GREY [Particia Briggs] and IN BRIGHTEST DAY {Toni P. Kelner]
on 11 October 2013
This is a great book with a variety of stories that range from creepy to laugh at loud funny.

If you don't have time to stick your nose in a book for a few hours or have a short span of attention this is for you.
on 8 June 2014
I enjoy having a book of short stories on the go and these were all good reads! Some were better than others but that is just a matter of taste. Well worth a try.
on 13 June 2015
great compilation of stories, funny, sad and scary, from a great variety of writers
on 27 December 2013
The item was in excellent condition making it the perfect gift which was required. The arrival time of the product was superb, meeting and exceeding any expectations I had of the items.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 4 December 2012
These two authors have compiled other anthologies of paranormal fiction based around more "normal" things, I have three of their previous collections themed around Christmas, birthdays and weddings. Each of these has original short stories by a variety of different authors. I enjoyed the other books I had previously read but found this one very disappointing.

For this anthology the authors used the theme of DIY as a hook for authors to use to create their contributions around. Authors did use this theme in a very remote fashion with most of the stories concerning ghosts inhabiting an old house where new people moved in. Some were a little more inventive with the "home" being a faery enclave or a tomb but the plots were much the same.

This collection is not a success. The individual stories are difficult to differentiate and they seem to struggle to use the theme in a creative way. None of them is particularly memorable and I have not sought out the work of any of the contributors as a result of their offering in this book. By the time that I got to the end of the book I was heartily tired of these tales and didn't want to read another paranormal DIY story ever again.
3 people found this helpful
on 7 June 2013
the first few tales I really enjoyed but gave up on the book about 2 thirds of the way through, I have quite a vivid imagination but some stories are really off the wall
on 25 March 2012
Short stories about home improvement - bit of an odd choice I thought. I bought this for Patricia Briggs' story which was quite good. Its about a vampire who is being haunted. I wasn't so interested in the other stories mostly because of the subject matter, but if you know the authors already I don't think you'll be disappointed.
5 people found this helpful