Customer reviews

Assassin's Creed 3 (PC DVD)
Platform: PC|Edition: Standard Edition|Change

on 7 September 2013
Upon reading all the negative comments and the relatively large number of 1 star reviews, I thought this game would be a disappointment. Yes, most of the (negative) comments are true, at least to a certain extent. Yes, Assassins Creed II was better as a story, had a better character (Ezio), and smoother gameplay. In my opinion AC II was - and still is - the best game ever !!! I got off to a bad start with AC III because it was extremely frustrating to die every time you're being attacked by a bear or a wolf (you have to press E, then A or spacebar or... etc). Until I found out you just have to press these buttons only ONCE as they appear. Since then it was really easy to kill the wild life out there. This game (AC III) is beautiful, has fantastic graphics, is very fun to play in all its aspects. It is not because it's not as good as AC II that this automatically means it is a disappointing game. For me, AC II was the Bugatti Veyron of the games - there is just no better than that. But AC III is a Ferrari Enzo. While the Enzo might be a bit less in some aspects, it does not mean it is a disappointing or dull, not in the least !! Just as for really bad games, one star is far too much, I find for this kind of games, five stars is not enough. I'd say, AC II was a 10 star (absolute maximum), AC Brotherhood was a 9 star, AC Revelations was 8 star and AC III also 8 stars. Conclusion : it is a wonderful game, don't let the negative criticism influence you too much !! Silently I hope that sometime in the future Ubisoft will create a 10-star AC episode again - maybe AC IV ?
on 30 May 2017
The first in the series to catch my eye and interested to play. ( I have been in contact with the series since the first game but passed off until this one)
on 2 December 2016
Awesome game, registers through Uplay.
on 21 May 2013
Buy your man (or woman) this and you will not know you've got them. Watch what you like, do what you like, they really won't notice. Probably the most immersive game that I've seen my partner play
on 26 November 2012
Firstly, Assassin's Creed 3 uses an excellent new engine with doesn't just add quality to the graphical content but refines gameplay. You'll notice from the first time you have a run around with Desmond that the running style has changed; it feels smoother and even looks excellent. The character no longer runs like he's aimlessly following a butterfly, he now shafts from side to side and dodges automatically. The first thing I was stunned by were the graphics (obviously) - this at the moment is one of the best looking games out, but of course, games like Hitman: Absolution are also pulling things out the bag, but with Assassin's Creed, despite the vamp up in graphics it still remains fluid. The fighting mechanics have had a whole new lease of life, now when countering it does a sort of slow mo to give you time to chose your move, this helps in aiding you to decide but also adds this fantastic fluidity, as you can then string another attack.

Downsides: Well, it's storyline seems a bit rushed and unknown. Connor was born into a tribe and now he wants to get revenge on the templars for what they did to his family (just seems boring). Also, what many of us will expect with a new engine is bugs (it has them but they're not that noticeable). For instance, when climbing a building and getting onto the slanted room you can sometimes randomly run on thin air and then just drops down slightly. It's also noticeable in fighting scenarios where you'll attack an enemy and it will go to the killing mechanic and you'll get pushed out of this, however, the enemy is still getting sliced to death from nowhere, where he then hits the ground with blood foaming at his mouth.

Overall: This game is excellent, the multiplayer is addictive, as is the game overall, pick it up, play it and enjoy because this is probably the best thing you'll get this christmas.
55 Comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 August 2013
I've just finished this game and, up to the last couple of sequences, I would probably have given it a 3 - however, I then encountered two things which lost it a star.

Firstly, the problem of cutscenes for everything just became ludicrous. Throughout the game, I've gotten so frustrated at the excessive amount of cutscenes in the game - step into a bar, cutscene, walk upstairs, cutscene, step out of bar, cutscene, run 50 yards to mission marker, cutscene - but towards the end of the game, this becomes even worse. There's a certain mission where you have to infiltrate a fort - brilliant I thought! The sort of stuff that AC2 and its sequels excelled at - finally some good sneaking. WRONG! All removed in a cutscene - one moment, I'm standing at the tunnel entrance, next moment, cutscene, then I'm in the fort! I mean - why have a game at all - why not just have a movie that we can all watch?
And then the final straw - the ending...OMG! Ubisoft, you had years to come up with a dramatic finish to the whole 'world will end' bit of Assassins Creed, and that's the best you can come up with? I know people complained about the end of Mass Effect 3, but compared to this, that ending is a work of sheer genius!

Other things which I think this game suffers from - it tries to be all things to all men, and thus never satisfies anyone. Yes, you can wander around the woods hunting and skinning animals - but why bother? Sure, you can sell the stuff you hunt and get money for it, but you never need to spend money in the game at all, so what use is that to you? Yes - the frontier is a massive open world, but none of the missions are in the frontier, so you don't need to explore it at all - it's just there...at least there are a couple of naval missions which are essential to the story, and they're fun, but again, Ubisoft offer no explanation for how your native American can just like that become the world best sailor...

In my opinion, the cities too are poor - yes, they are very large, but they're all just brown two level wooden buildings with a couple of churches or halls in between them - there's nothing in them to make you want to wander around and see what is going on. The excitement of seeing Rome or Venice or Istanbul in it's glory just isn't there anymore.

And that I suppose sums up the game, it's pretty and there's stuff to do, but your character isn't an Assassin in my opinion, a killer yes, but the whole Assassin mythology that exists from Altair and Ezio is non-existent in this game, and I don't get a feeling for the real skulduggery that the Templars have gotten up to in the past. If the game had been called 'American Revolution' or something and the modern Desmond sections taken out of it, you wouldn't really know that it was related to the previous games at all.

Therefore, a 2. Playable enough in its own way, but too many cutscenes, a dull plot, and not sure what it wants to be.
on 17 July 2014
This game can be frustrating, boring and sometimes enjoyable but frustration and boredom are more commonplace.
The historical setting is both interesting set during the American revolution and the storyline quiet good. The cutscenes are good too I don't really have a problem with them. The Biggest frustration as regards the game is the controls which can be both clumsy and awkward. Stealth Gameplay I have found is nearly non existent as you your character cant crouch or remain that well hidden in stealth missions, hes always nearly spotted leading to a frustrating bustup. Before each mission a list of Goals appears for example if you have to give chase to somebody in a crowded city one of the goals could be "don't bump into someone" which is nearly next to impossible. The frontier section of the game can be enjoyable at first where you hunt different species of animals but being honest gets tedious after a time especially when you don't really need the money you earn after a while. The naval missions admittedly are quite enjoyable, something different and a breath of fresh air in this tedious long drawn out game. As regards gametime no complaints unless to say its nearly too long drawn out with boring silly side missions, ive been playing nearly a month now and was nearly relieved when it finished. This Game has some great points no doubt but the frustrating controls, next to impossible stealth gameplay, and being too long drawn out are major factors that cant be ignored.
on 12 June 2014
I am now about 70% into the game and feel reasonably sure my mind won't change. Not wishing to say too much of the same that other reviewers have already rightfully complained about. Here's what bugged me the most: The game - unlike its predecessors - does little to none in explaining the game mechanics to you. Now, I have played every title up to AC3, but I am a casual gamer and cannot remember every single move, button, combo from the old games at all times (apart from the fact that some of these change, of course).

The story, the main characters (including the well-meant and poorly realised Achilles), the entire feel of the game is weak. To this day, they are sequences from each of the previous games that stick in my mind. My most vivid memory from AC3 will undoubtedly be me yelling at the screen out of sheer frustration over one of the many shotcomings of this AC installment. And this is perhaps my biggest beef with this release: While failing to give you ample opportunity to really become an assassin in terms of controls etc., EVERY SINGLE MISSION has some requirement that makes it excessively hard and tedious. I can honestly say I have had less fun with this game than with most of the 80s releases I still play from time to time (you know, where characters were comprised of five to ten giant pixels...).

Having said all this, there are some redeeming factors. The sea battles have at least the potential for fun if you weren't required (here, as well) to destroy the respective enemy in such a particular way as to suck all the fun right out of it again. There are some new aspects that are nice, the hunting being one of them. Of course, then you are overwhelmed with such a complex array of recipes, again requirements etc. so as to undo the fun in that, as well.

Being unable not to do so, I will finish the game. I will then replay AC2 to restore my faith in what was once a fantastic, enriching gaming experience. AC3 is none of these things. How they managed to make such a brilliant historic backdrop with such a rich game heritage into something as boring, tedious, unengaging, frustrating and downright maddening as this is entirely beyond me. Now, I don't make games for a living. But perhaps neither should the people behind AC3.
on 26 May 2015
Assassin's Creed 3 is an odd game. Coming after the heady heights of number 2's almost universally adored Ezio, and some fantastic gameplay in both Brotherhood and Revelations, part 3 was always going to struggle. To their credit, the developers have chosen to go 'different' instead of just 'bigger'. This time we get a very different kind of setting - Colonial America at the brink of Revolution. That they've chosen to weave the tale in with American historical figures, liberally sprinkling them through the plot as major characters, is a fun and very interesting choice (that surely did the game no major harm in the U.S. market). It's also fun to embrace a new region of the world - one where climbing around in the branches of forests, climbing mountainous rock faces, or trudging through knee-deep snow can all occur due to Summer/Winter seasons built into the environment.
One of the game's less popular decisions is what almost amounts to a 'false start' - having you play as another character for several levels. While it makes plot sense, and enhances that character's status in your mind, it doesn't help that you then endure the detested -'power-stripping' of Assassin's Creed 1, where you're forced to go from being a fully tooled-up and powerful character to someone being forced to learn the ropes again and very slowly accrue new equipment.
As someone who likes their toys in the A.C. games, I hated the new method of obtaining weapons, clothes etc. In previous games, you worked hard to gather money, renovated shops etc (which made you feel more invested in the towns & villages) and then just purchased what you wanted.
The time taken to level up and also to earn the money helped slow your pace naturally. Here, the game wants you to be only invested in your own piece of land - a 'homestead'. You recruit weary artisans by rescuing them and offering them a chance to work on your estate, and in turn they'll make the stuff you need. Sounds fun, and the characters are quite enjoyable. However, I found it artificially threw the brakes on, in terms of getting items. Most of the time you won't have the right person needed to make an item yet, and will have to run more Homestead Missions until you find them. Then they have to settle in and be levelled up until they're competent enough to make the goods - meaning more and more side-missions. Then you'll need the skills of other artisans to make the ingredients the first artisan needs for the Recipe...it all gets very frustrating. Worse still is the fact that few of the shop-purchased goods are enticing to start with. I got fed up with doing homestead missions so I went to a store, only to find that the sword I'd thoughtlessly picked up in a battle against a naval officer was still in my inventory, and already outclassed all of the other unexciting items on offer. So I purchased no clothes (apart from crafting a double holster), no weapons, in effect I lost out on a quarter of what I'd done in AC2 because the new system makes crafted items a pain to make, and shop items too dull to buy. The combat, crafting, artisan levelling etc are also all so poorly explained that I stumbled through the game blindly unaware of how to do many of its systems until I found out by sheer trial and error. The combat is also flawed: Connor's sword and dagger moves are fun, but I found the lock-on radius with a bow and arrow to be iffy, and aiming a real pain.
The inclusion of naval combat is most welcome - it's a lot of fun to batter through the waves in either glorious sun or massive rolling storm-surges as you try to hit a frigate that's swinging its guns onto you. Similarly, the voice acting and face-animation on almost all of the main characters can be described as spectacular, and greatly helping with immersion into the plot. It's quite an emotional plot, stuffed full of possibly more twists, scheming and betrayal than ever before, and is the stuff of Assassin's Creed 3 legends. Unfortunately, that tremendous plot is ill served by the lead character. Whether through a decision to show how much Connor's struggling with a second language, or perhaps an over-reverent approach to his character for fear of risking offence to those of Native American heritage, the developers have chosen to portray Connor as a man as wooden as the forests he lurks in. His dialogue is delivered with the stilted grey lack of emotion of a particularly disappointing bowl of porridge, or a depressed rock. It doesn't help that when he does get to show emotion, he veers only between blank faced, shouting with anger, or criticising his mentor like a petulant child. His mentor Achilles is also greatly lacking in any of the spark and verve of the other main characters, coming across as flat and moody. Connor only begins to come to life in the final two levels - ten levels too late for some - and never has any readable personality or inner-life.
The game is also famous as tying up the threads of the Desmond 'real world' storyline, and while Desmond's missions are largely 'go get this - have a fight, get back here', he is a little more interesting than before. Unfortunately he's robbed of most of the fancy stunts he can pull off in the 'Animus' - meaning that he can pretty much just climb and slash at things. This is a shame, as I'd have liked him to get a better payoff in terms of skills development.
This is a game of hugely varying quality. The graphics are often so beautiful and immersive that my other half commented they could see why people get hooked on the series. However, I also experienced a sharply flat, pixelated looking flower waving above Connor in one immersion-destroying moment, and a small scattering of artefact/image glitches. However I felt they were forgivable given the ambition of the rest of the world and how good it all looks. The scriptwriting can also be ludicrous in a small handful of places. While the vast majority is truly excellent, some moments clash as if an intern's been given a chance to join in. One that had us in hysterics was where a character and their friends suddenly have guns pulled on them by folks they were negotiating with, only to have one of them staring down the barrels of about a dozen muskets, genuinely say: "Are you threatening us???" in bewildered earnest.
It's a big game with lots to do. There are hunting quests, courier missions etc none of which are relevant to the main plot. The campaign alone must have taken me 16+ hours at least.
I almost made this a three-star review, but when it excels, it's a gorgeous game with a richly detailed plot, and I feel Assassin's Creed fans who don't play this title will be missing out. A fun chapter.
on 4 February 2014
I've completed 58% of the game (on pc), I think that the gameplay is great. You can now hunt then sell it. I like that now there is flintlock pistols available, instead of some little thing attached to the hidden blade. I like doing the side missions, although some can be a little boring. I think that Connor is cool. I love the parkour in the trees and in the city's. I've changed the controls to be how I like them.
BUT, there is a problem with slow FPS (frames per second) at times. I've searched, and it's quite common. Some have it worse than others. For some reason my multiplayer has PS3 settings. When watching a cut-scene the sound could last a minute, but the picture would carry on for about 2 minutes. My computer has what the game said it would need. At the best times I get around 20 - 25, but some times I only get 5 - 10. I've checked, and apparently people are getting the same performance with AC4. At first I thought Ubisoft was going to fix it, but that doesn't look as if it's going to happen by now.
Overall I like the game. The only glitch is the slow FPS. But i think the gameplay is worth it. You might as well get AC4 (on ps3/4 or on x box if you have it), there's more chance of Ubisoft fixing the newer game on pc.