on 7 March 2018
A replacement buy as I lost one. If you like Philip Glass's music you will enjoy this film/documentary which is visually stunning.
This is the third part of a trilogy series which are 'Koyaanisqartsi', Powaqqatsi', and 'Naqoyqatsi'.
All three are accompanied with the music of Philip Glass, and all are stunningly filmed.
Highly recommended.
on 5 August 2014
Well, it's good if you've never seen "Koyaanisqatsi" but as far as I'm concerned the sequels follow the same formula as the original but with less success. Maybe the element they lack is an overarching critique of society, which the viewer thinks they've arrived at by themselves because the images they've seen are so disparate and the "means of suggestion" are so subtle; It keeps Philip Glass in a job, but for me it's a case of "diminishing returns".
on 6 September 2008
I think film suffers the existance of the two easier-to-watch predecessors.
I think the music in this one is wonderful, the images are not as beautiful as the natural ones of Koia but equally strong - almost hypnotic at times. The logical thread is difficult to follow and it either needs repeted viewings or some external help. I couldn't get it.
What in my opinion spoiled it a bit are the recurrent similiarities with the previous movies (the approach is the same: music+imagery, the music is often veeeeery similar to Koia, some scenes of autos lights are a copy from Koia, etc...) which keep tempting an uncaptured viewer into thinking that this third release was merely a money-making exercise trying to capitalise on past successes.
I too like other reviewers was looking at the timer waiting for the end, but now I have it in the background as I am writing, and it's not bad at all...

My tokenworth for those who haven't watched any of the Qatsi? Watch them in reverse order... 1) Naqoy, 2) Powaq, 3) Koia. It would be great to get your comments.
4 people found this helpful
on 24 October 2017
Not as good as other 2
on 29 September 2014
Fantastic imagery and a great score makes terrific watching.
on 8 March 2015
Fine
on 24 May 2015
Just third part of real masterpiece that must be seen
on 9 May 2016
no problems
VINE VOICEon 12 March 2005
Hardly a frame of "Naqoyqatsi" hasn't been belted round the head with industrial-strength image-processing. The bewildering welter of images mirrors the tidal wave of images, events and information our media floods us with, and seems intended to overwhelm the audience. As is mentioned in the panel discussion also on the DVD, the film firmly inhabits the technological world that is its subject.
All this is impressive and effective, but it also makes the film difficult to understand and even to watch. Where the 'natural' images of the previous films spoke for themselves, here everything is (openly) calculated and deliberate, which in turn means that the viewer must not simply observe but also interpret - frantically. Glass's score is very fine and helps 'humanise' the imagery, but I for one am going to have to watch this again to get to grips with it. However, I believe it will be worth the effort.
27 people found this helpful