on 28 March 2013
Cracking read! Having played at many different levels and as a mercenary to anyone willing to hand me a little brown envelope after the game I see so many of the characters that make it worthwhile in this book.....the committee men at the club, the old codger never wanting to retire (and usually outclassing the youngsters) to those coming for a run out to get away from the Mrs.........feel good book and definitely worth a read
on 13 March 2012
Incredible read, let down only a fraction by the failure to mention a well-worked try by Warlingham's occasional #9 mid way through the 2nd Half against Croydon (Away) during Gauge's difficult 2nd season as captain - the same game that featured `Cuddles' switching sides and fighting his own team. I wish Steven Gauge was my older brother - what an absolute hero.
on 23 February 2012
Very funny book, thanks Steven. It is a great call to arms to get our collective bums off the sofa, stop watching sport on the tv and actually get out there and play a game in the open air. Rather too many injuries for my liking so I'll probably stick with pilates and running. The drinking is tempting though - and the camaraderie. Good luck with your campaign!
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 7 May 2013
Not bad,not the best i have read but ok,plenty of laughs along the way,and probably thousands of guys out there will recognise themselves in this book,as it explains the ins aand outs of the rugby club,from training sesssions to games to the drink or two after the match,good detail by the author catches the right bland of things to include,enjoyed it.
on 27 September 2012
Well worth reading if you want a bit of a laugh and a real insight into rugby club life. Funnily enough I had the chance to switch from parks football to join a rugby club and I turned it down on the basis that I was too old to make the switch (I was 24!!) This book was a stark reminder of the scale of my mistake!
on 11 February 2013
This book may not be the best written tome you have read, but I guarantee you will recognise the challenge s the author faces as he sets about getting involved in what we should not forget is the art of coarse rugby. You will also laugh out loud at inappropriate times so be careful where you read it...
on 5 October 2012
An essentital read for anybody interested in rugby and having played hooker to a similar low standard of rugby this is a true reflection of what its like to play parks rugby and the socialising after the game, the tours and the frustration of getting enough players to complete a fixture.
on 1 February 2013
Bought this on recommendation from a friend. As someone who follows grass roots rugby closely and is involved in various posts at my own club, I can identify with Steven's writing. His book is set in one club, but I'm sure it could be related to just about any club in the country!
on 1 November 2012
Stumbled across this book and very glad I did. Not only do I completely empathise with the authors opinion on this fabulous sport but also find that he plays for one of my local clubs. Very funny and a fascinating insight into grass roots rugby. Highly recommended.
on 26 May 2013
Wittily written and a reminder that all low level amateur rugby clubs are exactly the same! Had me chuckling to myself throughout the entire book! Thoroughly recommend this for anyone with even just a mild interest in club rugby! 5*****!