Customer reviews

Uncertainty [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change

TOP 100 REVIEWERon 23 June 2012
This is two stories in one, and it stars Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Bobby he is the boyfriend and Green Card wanna be holder to Lynn Collins who plays Kate. The film starts with them on Brooklyn Bridge in New York where they toss a coin and on seeing which side it is they both run off in opposite directions. Then as if by magic they both appear at the other end to meet the other one where the stories diverge and we get two alternate tales- one is `yellow' and one is `green', but not sure what the significance was except the yellow version has a yellow cab in it (?)!

Incidentally this is not two different perspectives on the same story, but two completely different stories. One finds them picking up a stray dog, then going round to her moms where they face up to family and life issues, loss and a bad case of thespianisis. The other sees them finding a lost mobile phone in the back of the cab and then getting into a load of high octane adventures with a hit man or two who want it back.

Of the two the action story is the more gripping and so it was strange to juxtapose that with a story of family frailty and relationship issues. Had the latter been more explosive like a take from Tennessee Williams play for example then it would have been a better foil for the duelling of the two tales. As it is more subtle it sort of keeps letting the film go slightly off the boil. Then it is back to the action etc. And it is all full on again

All of the acting is fine but even Gordon-Levitt (playing a Canadian who does not say `aboot' - as if) can not breathe enough life into his character in places, and we all know he is a top rate actor and probably chose to do this as he likes supporting indie films, much to his credit. It is not a bad film though and is actually one of those that keeps you hooked right to the end. However not everyone will be satisfied with the end and for the pedants out there you will not miss a slightly obvious plot hole, but that aside this is still a well directed and filmed effort, hence the rating, but it is only just four stars as I am being generous as I had a great night out last night and am probably still a bit squiffy- if in doubt just go for a rental.
on 28 October 2014
The idea behind this film seems good, but it fell very short of delivering on its promises. Overall there isn't really very much substance to it all and I found myself counting down the minutes till it ended so I could gleefully eject it from the DVD player and send it back (it was a rental). The story is in two halves, based on the flip of a coin, and each half follows the two different outcomes of the coin toss - it flits between the stories sometimes very frequently. The the more action-orientated half is quite good for a little while, but ultimately peters out into nothing, and the more drama-orientated half is just SO boring and really, really goes nowhere. I also found that in places it was very hard to hear what was being said - the music was louder than the dialogue and the DVD had no subtitles, so maybe I missed something between that and my almost nodding off from sheer boredom. In the end I do not take any message from this film other than maybe the young American couple are bad at decision making. So it was in fact aptly entitled. Give it a go if you like, though personally I'd like my 1hrs 40mins back!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 26 May 2012
Uncertainty is about a young couple of flip a coin to decide what they're going to do with the rest of their day. We, the viewers, are then treated to two different intermingling stories (parallel universes if you like) involving the same couple and showing us what happened along each path.

It's kind of like Sliding Doors, but with a bit more action in it. One story involves the couple on the run from dangerous gangsters and the other involves them going home to their family.

Now, it could just be me (I prefer the `action' genre generally), but I found the half of the film dedicated to the couple on the run from the gang to be the far more entertaining of the two, while the story about them confronting issues with their family a little dull.

It could just be me. Maybe someone who prefers drama over action would prefer the other one. Either way, everyone plays their part pretty well and there are worse films to watch.
on 7 September 2014
I bought this because I've been enjoying other Joseph Gordon Levitt movies such as Hesher , Brick and The Lookout. This is a decent effort spoiled by the fact that they obviously ran out of time , money or interest to write an ending. My wife , daughter and i all just looked at each other and shrugged. Really lame way to finish what is actually a good film up to that point. Oh well you cant love every movie and it was cheap.
on 9 November 2014
Standing on a bridge and making a choice on the flip of a coin, the film follows the two options from the two choices..
the two stories intertwine and yet are completely different. One choice, and one story option is the family issue/relationship side of the coin, and the other, a high chase with a Chinese gunman.

The acting is pleasant and the screen shots 'arty', green clothes depicting the 'green' side and the 'yellow' scenes with yellow clothes.. echoing green card issues perhaps?

it is a pleasant movie to watch even with the limited characters involved. the ending some have said is 'disappointing', yet really the real resolution is that life & living is worth much, they have so much already..
on 15 March 2013
I don't see the point of it and it doesn't make sense to me. It is the worst film I have ever watched. During the film I was waiting for something good to happen or a good or doesn't have to be happy ending, but I never got any of it. I was disappointed considering Joseph Gordon Levitt is in it. The film does not have any subtitles. Some parts of the film are pointless and related. I'd rather watch a cheesy chick flick than this.
on 2 March 2013
This film was an interesting concept and would have worked very well had the 2 story lines been at all interesting. It was easy enough to follow and you could nmot fault the acting. I think that whilst Joseph Gordon-Levitt is highly prolific as an actor some of he sometimes takes on films that, whilst showcasing his talents, are a bit of a let down ... this is one of them and it was with a sense of relief and "where did I just lose 90Mins ?" that I found myself watching the end credits role. Really has a film promised so much and delivered so little for me. The only reason I don't give it a single star is the acting and that's coming from someone who likes offbeat indie style films.
This film starts off ok, A couple find a mobile phone in a cab,some rather undesirable people want it back,But ends up going nowhere. What got me it switches back and fore to past and present in their lives,telling a story of family life and then jumping forward to the caos of the present as they are being hunted down over this phone.This continues all through the film and then ends, unless Im missing something, the film finishes,almost as if someones forgot about the ending.Its a pitty really as it could have been a really good film,it had potential but fell down.
on 22 May 2013
Excellently done and catchy.
The actorn seems to have the same kind of roles in movies but he is good at it that way.
Well recommanded.
on 9 September 2016
Don't bother with this film, what is happening in this, you decide, because i don't know, yes its about a lost phone, what is the other plot about.