on 6 November 2012
The new Samsung 840 series has just been released, however the Samsung 830 series is still currently a better buy for your money as it stands.

If you upgrading your SSD and already have either a 830 or SSD of similar performance consider moving up to at least the Samsung 840 series PRO to make it worth while.

The performance of the 256GB models is below so you can compare. (IOPS = In out Operations per Second)

Samsung 830 SSD | Read 520MB/s (IOPS 80k) Write 400MB/s (IOPS 36k)

Samsung 840 SSD | Read 540MB/s (IOPS 96k) Write 250MB/s (IOPS 62k)

Samsung 840 PRO SSD | Read 540 MB/s (IOPS 100k) Write 520MB/s (IOPS 90k)

As you can see the 840 has a much slower write speed; this is due to it using TLC NAND. The write speeds for the standard 840 is still adequate so is a great choice versus the cheaper 830s if you want a slightly higher read speed. If you do however require to be able to write a large amount of data on your SSD drive and you don't want to spend the extra money for the pro the 830 would be a much better choice giving all around great read and write speeds.

Overall to sum up, if you already have a 830 SSD upgrade to the 840 series PRO or stick with your current SSD.

If you upgrading from a much slower early SSD or are buying your first SSD drive, the 830 series would be an ideal choice and offers you the best value for money. However if your not cautious about money the go ahead and buy the Samsung 840 PRO SSD as it provides unrivalled performance.

Just as added information when using this SSD set your Motherboard Bios setting to AHCI for this drive.

Please note the Basic Kit will not include a 3.5" to 2.5" bracket, to install the SSD in a 3.5" slot in your pc you will have to purchase one.
on 12 August 2012
Samsung Solid State Drive 830 Series SATA 6Gb/s

The 256Gb "Basic Kit" is supplied in a slim box with a plastic inner tray containing the SSD.
The box states 3 year limited warranty, that the SSD is compatible with both Desktop and Laptop PCs, and that the SSD dimensions as 100 x 69.85 x 7mm

Being a "Basic Kit", no bracket is supplied, so for desktop (rather than laptop) use, some means of securing a 2.5" drive is required.

The box also contains a printed 'Quick User Manual' and a 'Samsung software & manual CD'.
The software CD includes Samsung's "Magician" SSD management software, along with Norton Ghost, a Quick User Manual and an Interactive Manual.

Samsung recommend that BIOS disk management is set to AHCI for optimum performance.

SSD installed in Lian Li A71F case using a Lian LI HD-321 3.5" to 2.5" adaptor/bracket, with Asus Sabertooth X58 motherboard.
BIOS disk management set to AHCI prior to 'clean' installation of Windows7 64bit.
Installation was smooth and uneventful. SSD is (silent and) noticeably faster than previously installed HDD (WD Velocitaptor).
SSD used as OS drive, with HDD for documents and games.

Samsung "Magician" software updated to v3.1 and used for 'OS Optimization' which disabled Super Fetch, Defragmentation, Indexing Service, and applied Samsung power schema.
Software also used to remove Windows installation temporary files 'Temporary file cleanup'.

Ultimate satisfaction shall be from proven longevity and reliability.
But for now, so far so good, so pleased, and so recommended.
on 18 December 2012
Having converted all laptops and desktops to SSD, I have a few SSDs (Crucial M4, C300; Intel 330, 320, M25; SanDisk; Kingston) and finally got an 830.

- While not important (after all it goes inside laptop/desktop) - it looks great, with a shiny Samsung logo - unlike the other SSDs. It looks "expensive".

- At 7mm it fits notebooks and some tablets (e.g. Lenovo X230/X220) but has no shim for 9.5mm. Usually this is not an issue unless the laptop HDD holder has no screws and relies on drive dimensions to plug into SATA port.

- While any SATA600 SSD should be fast enough, it sustains 500MB/s read, 470MB/s write with both compressible and uncompressible data. Crucial M4 can match it for read but not write (270MB/s), Intel 330 can get close only with compressible data. IOPS are competive, 4kB blocks performance is similar.

- It remains cool under use, even when compiling large projects, no stutter.

I would thus rate it above the Crucial M4 - though I would buy whichever is cheapest. Without benchmarks I doubt you could tell the difference. I would rate it above SandForce SSDs as while most issues were worked out with never firmware - why take the chance? Also performance depends on what data you use, if it does not compress easily performance drops a lot.

It is thus a pity the 830 MLC is being replaced by the 840 TLC; based on the reviews the 840 Pro would be superior to the 830 - but at higher cost. Thus the 830 is better value both in size/price and performance/price.

Until the SATA interface gets upgraded from SATA600 or there is a big break-trough in I/O performance, the 830 - if you find it - is not likely to be "dethroned" from its position.
on 1 November 2012
Ok after a bit of a flakey start I am now very happy with this product. I bought a famous name SSD as I wanted something that a) worked and b) worked consistently. I wanted this as my boot drive and still have my old sata hd to keep data on and to boot from if this failed (!). Installation of a clean install of Win 7 was flawless and quick, from zero to hero in 15 mins. Boots v quick and runs apps etc 30% + quicker. This has negated me updating my graphics card :-)

The downside was that for the first few days I got boot failures. All eventually repaired / recovered but something was definitely amiss, so much so I was prepared to return it and just go with a bigger better traditional hard drive. But having a morning spare I got to grips with it and found that I only get a stable system if I set all my SATA items (SSD, trad HD and DVD) to IDE in the BIOS. Now everything works wonderfully and I am very happy. The Samsung instructions say to set it to AHCI but this doesn't work for me, with my other drives.

My only other gripe is that it says it comes with a copy of Norton Ghost - which it doesn't. The kit also does not come with mounting brackets.

So overall now I'm very pleased and happy but it did take a bit of tech knowledge to get to this point. I can still boot from my old HD if this goes belly up. I'm too old school to let this last bit go I'm afraid.
on 27 November 2013
Without going in to benchmarks and technical details, this SSD has given my PC a new lease of life, I no longer have time to make a cuppa while my PC boots! To be fair, formatting my old mechanical HDD and reinstalling Windows would have sped things up a bit, but that is only ever temporary as boot times get slower and slower. I've had this SSD over a year now and it's still going strong, even without a regular cleanup/format. Boot times are reduced significantly, along with programs and games loading at least twice the speed. Very pleased I purchased an SSD!
on 29 October 2012
Got this to replace the drive in my PS3.

It's snappy as hell now! Icons in the PS3 menu load much faster. Photo, music, video, game, messages, all the menu's will list quicker now. Game installations are quicker too, so is the preparation time for back ground downloading.

When gaming, the difference in speed really depends on the game you are playing. Games that run from the BR drive are not going to see much benefit here, however games with a bigger installation are likely going to see some speed gains. Tested Gran Turismo 5 on my old drive. Arcade mode with 16 cars loaded, from menu to track was about 52 seconds, but with the SSD it was down to 33. Oh, and the HDD I was originally using was one I had purchased to replace the default on that comes in the PS3, the default one is actually even slower.
on 16 July 2012
Not much to say than that it works and installed as expected. Speed was improved considerably compared to a 5400 RPM disk drive. I used TimeMachine to move over the OS and files, and a free program called Trim Enabler to enable Trim on the MacBook.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 11 October 2012
There is no point me writing anything about purchase price as these seem to move faster than the SSD itself.
It is so annoying when you have purchased it and then a week later find it also in Amazon in a different listing at £27.20 less than you have just paid.
It is undoubtably faster than a mechanical drive as other reviewers have mentioned but if you are just replacing a mechanical drive on a computer more than a couple of years old remember you need USB3 and SATA 3 to really notice the benefit,
Dont worry about the bonus of the lack of mechanical noise either as the CPU fan and the Graphics card fans still whirr away and the old hard drive was not really noticeable then.
Dont think it is time to wave goodby to the Windows Egg Timer it is not that fast.
Dont use the Norton Ghost unless you are very brave to transfer an image of your original C:\Drive according to many reviewers. I heeded the warnings and used Acronis TrueImage 2010 and the Tools option to clone the drive.
This basic kit comes with a CD with Magician Software only and an Installation Guide but no mounting plate to adapt from 2.5 to 3.5 inch if using on a desktop PC. I just used the quick release cradle on my old hard drive and then chopped down with a pair of scissors the plastic packaging within the Samsung box, a perfect fit of course, and put that in the cradle. This was only because I was reluctant to buy an adaptor mount that did not fit as seems to be the case with even the ones recommended as purchasing at the same time according to reviewers.
on 29 April 2013
There's not much you say about this, I've had it as my primary drive in my 2011 Macbook Pro for 6 months, no problems. It's noticeabley faster than the original HDD and it's silent of course. I can highly recommend teaming this up with a 1TB HDD and removing the optical bay. You may not have a retina screen - but you will have over 1200Gb of storage.
on 23 December 2012
This thing is seriously fast. On windows 7 I get the maximum possible disk drive score of 7.9. It is tiny, silent and once you have used a SSD you will never go back to a HDD.
One thing I notice is that I bought this for £140 (Nov 2012) but the current price is £189. Look for deals on this or other SSDs.
If you have a desktop this is too small to fit in a standard bay but dont worry about it. Just wire it up and let it dangle somewhere, it is tiny. I have mine sitting in a 3.5" bay just held in place by the wires.