Style Name: 16 AA batteries|Change

on 21 July 2013
A battery is a battery. Right? WRONG!

Trying to find a rechargeable battery that both works and lasts is harder than you might think. Ive been through all the big names (Sanyo being possibly the best for me but there have been so many major disappointments at great expense) along with those from 7day shop (a personal favourite but I refuse to pay postage for something that was free for so long just out of principle).

When it came to needing some more AAs, I noticed these were on a lightning deal and took the chance. I mean the word 'Basics' in the title doesnt bode well. However, I must admit to being pretty impressed. All the batteries worked. All the batteries appear to be lasting. All the batteries are doing the job that they are supposed to be doing. Therefore that leaves me one happy punter.

I must admit that, given the choice I would get the Sanyo ones first (if they were a reasonable price) however, these are a worthy close second - especially on a lightning deal.
on 10 June 2012
very good product already pre-charged gave a new lease of live to my home phone. i was planning on buying a new home phone untill i discover the precharged batteries and decided to buy if it will work, hurray it did excellent product will recommend it no need to buy expensive battery charger.
Style Name: 16 AA batteries|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Like at least one other reviewer I have mainly been using Sanyo Eneloop rechargeables to replace my disposable AA batteries very successfully. However, I thought I'd try these Amazon Basic versions because I've had some very positive experiences with various items in the Amazon Basics range to date such as cables, shredders and DVD drives.

These AA cells were, on delivery, close to fully charged (my battery condition meter showed 93% of full charge). Their output of 2000 mAh puts them towards the middle of the capacity stakes - many AA rechargeables are now rated at 2500 mAh or greater but, to be fair, these are "Basics" - a value rather than premium line. Also, in terms of pricing they are good value, to get 16 in the pack at the current price is very competitive. If anything goes wrong there's a good chance Amazon will honour the warranty (and be around to do so).

Physically these Chinese sourced cells look well made and are marked in such a way that the positive terminal is fairly obvious - the green ring on the casing also helps if your sight isn't too good. I do agree with another reviewer it would have been good if Amazon marketed a matching charger. The charger I use is the Technoline BL-700 intelligent charger which, although not cheap, takes a lot of the guesswork out things. I've seen a number of well reviewed cheaper intelligent chargers on Amazon including one by Lloydtron. I find these batteries recharge in about 5/6 hours using my charger.

In terms of performance I've found these Amazon Basic AA cells to be fine - they last an acceptable time in the appliances I've tried them in and have a good immunity to temperature changes. Some rechargeables I've used in things like alarms and trail cameras have difficulty in functioning in the cold - that's not so with these.

Overall, a generously sized pack of medium capacity batteries from a vendor with sufficient clout to offer genuine assurances around quality, performance and safety. Recommended.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 28 January 2016
Since buying a terrific battery charger (AccuPower Intelligent Fast Charger), I have used nothing but rechargeable batteries, both AA and AAA types. Of the brands I have tried, AmazonBasics is my favourite. I must have bought over 60 by now, and they have never let me down.

Whether they get daily, intensive use (as in my Slendertone belt, LED night lights and wireless keyboards) or sit waiting patiently for the next call to action (inside a torch or photo flash unit, for example), these batteries seem to keep their charge almost intact. The fact that they arrive already charged is so convenient. Impossible to know how many times each individual battery has been recharged, but my first batch was bought more than two years ago and most of them are in continuous use. Terrific quality, fully justifying the price. Interestingly, the white ones (which are more expensive) have been less reliable, with a couple already showing as “null” in my charger, whereas I've not had a single failure from the black ones.
on 10 September 2012
Although these are rechargeable, as a professional photographer I somehow lose batteries almost as soon as I buy them. So I'm really pleased to have purchased these at what seems a very reasonable price. They work well too - and seem to last just as long as the other makes that I've purchased.
on 22 April 2013
Batteries no longer take charge. Had been used in a remote control and only charged a dozen times or so which is many times less than the 1,000 recharges promised.

Went to Amazon returns page and it says can't return the item after 30 days. Will contact Amazon later to see if I can get some more but disappointed with this item.

Other batteries by ReCyko bought around the same time are still working fine and as advertised.
44 comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 July 2012
I purchased these to work with two portable phones. Batteries were delivered quickly. Performance is as good as other leading brands. Pre charged batteries have some charge but not full charge when delivered - so at least you know they work out of the box. Well packaged. Impressed.
on 22 May 2013
Style Name: 12 AAA batteries|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
These AAA cells arrived fully charged (all were between 1.270 and 1.278 volts), which highlights their greatest strength: very slow self-discharge. Amazon claim that they will retain 80% of their charge after a full year. This is a vast improvement over rechargeable batteries of a few years ago, and has reignited my interest in the technology, since it overcomes the annoyance of rechargables that are half-empty by the time you want to use them.

These AAA cells retain their charge about as well as the first generation of Sanyo's Eneloops. The latest generation Eneloops are a bit longer-lasting still, but this comes at a cost premium. Amazon's cells also store slightly more charge, at a claimed 800mAh compared with 750mAh for the Eneloops.

My one criticism is the supposedly minimal, "frustration free" packaging. You could have fooled me! The 12 AAA cells came wrapped in cellophane, which was inside a first cardboard box (complete with a three-dimensional folded insert) that was sealed with a plastic label that resisted all my attempts to slice open with my fingernail and only succumbed once I brought out some scissors. This first box was then inside a second, even larger box. This second box wasn't very big in absolute terms, but it could probably have accommodated several hundred AAA cells without much difficulty. As I carried the heap of cardboard and plastic to my recycling bins, I couldn't help pondering what Amazon might be capable of if they actively set out to use "positively frustrating" packaging!
on 6 August 2016
I really hate it when I buy solar lights and after a while they stop working.
I decided to open two sets of lights to see what sort of batteries they were and was surprised they were rechargable AA so I bought these to see if they will work again.
As soon as the batteries were fitted my lights came back to life. It's great that these are precharged and it means I can keep my lights.

Highly recommended
I ordered a pack of 12 x AAA AmazonBasics re-chargeable batteries as they were excellent value. I liked the idea that they were pre-charged which means that you can use them straight away. But what really sold them to me was the fact that they retain their charge. I have used other types of re-chargeable batteries before, but if you don't use them they can lose power quite quickly.

I'm really pleased with them so far, and can no longer see any point in using normal single-use batteries.