on 24 March 2013
I love this story about Tate and Lyle sugar factory and about the characters who make up the various sections of the factory.. This book not only tells about the girls work life but also about their background and their personalities. This book is one which you do not want to finish! I liked reading about Gladys growing up and about her tomboyish ways.The antics would no doubt not be tolerated in this day of health and safety
on 17 March 2013
Yet another fantastic book. I could just sit and read these one after another. They are 'real life' and it reminds me of wonderful stories told to me by my nan and mom. If only we could turn back time! Friends you made then, remained with you for a lifetime, sadly unlike today. These books really lift your spirits. Keep them coming I say. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED TO EVERYONE. AAAA******* 10/10 Happy Reading from purplemom.
on 29 May 2013
I am fascinated by stories of life in years gone by and of the way people battled through the hardship of poor working conditions and long hours but managed to maintain a reasonable standard of life. My only complaint really is that I wanted the story to last longer. I actually purchased all 4 of the Sugar Girls stories and the same can be said of all of them.
on 11 May 2016
Really enjoyed the beginning of this book and it really made you feel like you knew some of the characters but I just felt the end was rushed but as I haven't read the read of the books yet maybe It continues on into another book . A lovely read but wanted more .
on 3 May 2013
The story is typical of the up and down sides of times gone by in parts of England
were it was hard to make ends meet, depends on the reader. if you are a softy like me you will
give it fore stars as there is room for improvement.
on 4 March 2013
The story is well written, and gives a glimps into the lives of girls working in a factory, before women's lib. When getting married meant you had to leave your job. I found the storey a bit short, but would recommend it for light reading.
on 24 June 2012
So enjoyed the Sugar Girls series, I read them one after the other!
If you are interested in life back in the 50's 60's,and how your mum, (or your gran!) lived and worked, then this is a great read, as is all the Sugar Girl titles.
on 3 October 2013
I was interested to read this book as I was born and lived very close by to the Tate & Lyle factory. The stories were a bit before my time, but the place names mentioned all brought back memories to me. Light and entertaining reading.
on 18 March 2013
I really have a job deciding what rate to give this book as I thought it was going to be a real life story which it was but it was written more as a documentary which I wasn't sure if I liked this style of writing.
on 20 September 2013
New to kindle reading I bought free or cheap books for my holiday. This is a story of hardship & companionship in the sugar making factory Tate & Lyle. You would not be disappointed if you like this sort of book.