Customer reviews

Surreal
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 29 June 2012
I am a total fan of Incognitos early work and periodical buy their albums. So not having bought all of them I couldn't tell you how it compares to their back catalogue, but I know a good album when I hear one and this is as good as any I have heard. I didn't know what to expect and was not disappointed, its all good and the tempo is very fulfilling. I am not a lover of ballards & slow love songs so I am very pleased that this album contains none of the above. My first hearing of "Sureal" was in the car on a sunny day and it sounded perfect. My advise, find a sunny breezy place to chill for a couple of hours and listen to this.

Don't know why it is called "Surreal", and I am fairly sure it dosen't matter, but I bought this expecting an Incognito album and thats exactly what I got, nice one.

Go on treat yourself.
on 8 April 2012
I have not bought an Incognito album in too long. On a nostalgic whim I bought the latest 'Surreal'. It's growing on me. Perhaps I am still stuck in their early brilliant offerings. Anything Incognito does is worth several listens before judgement. But, although the musicianship and vocals are top-notch (including the wonderful Maysa Leak), something is missing in this album. It doesn't punch me like previous offerings though I have put it on replay in my car to familiarise myself with it. Capricorn Sun is the standout track.I can't say that this is not worth buying because the musicianship alone is worth the price of the album. If you don't have either Positivity or Tribes, Vibes and Scribes, go buy. Later albums are also stunning. I feel bad for almost dissing an Incognito album, but the latest is just not up to JPM's usual amazing standard.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 4 April 2012
Played this CD for the first time 3 days ago. I now have 11 of their albums, so was expecting a lot of Surreal. Unfortunately the sound quality spoilt the experience.
To make sure I wasn't just having a bad day, I played Tales from the Beach and Eleven to compare and can only conclude that either the mix was a rushed job or the CD is faulty.
It not that the sound is completely appalling. It just isn't very hi-fidelity and sounds like it's playing through someone's IPOD.
That said, the new personnel show great promise and the musicians excel as usual. Incognito will probably keep going for another 30 years at this rate. It's just not a 5 star product.
Perhaps I should consider buying another copy, or even vinyl? Answers on a postcard please.
on 10 April 2012
After listening to Surreal a couple of times, I really really like this album.

Its a great mix of J/F music with superb vocals from the well known Maysa & Vanessa Haynes to the little known Mo Brandis & Natalie Williams (well for me anyway..) plus a couple of excellent instrumentals thrown in for good measure!

If you are a fan of the Cog, I'm sure you'll love this! If you're new to Cog, try them...you'll be hooked!

Im really looking forward to seeing these guys next month in Islington

Great album- I salute you Bluey!!
on 13 May 2012
Bought this a few weeks back and I would have to agree with Claire's comments : maybe because I'm getting older?, but this latest offering is just not doing it for me. I don't think there are any stand out tracks at all, having listen to it several times I'm really struggling to remember any of them. I've always just bought a new Album /CD by this great hard working band and never been as disapointed with one until now; I'll give it a while longer, but I think the next charity bag that comes along could benefit

Take it easy people
Slow mover
on 3 September 2012
Another superb offering from Bluey and the gang, and I must admit all tracks are up beat, which is what they do best. Must admit first time hearing Natalie Williams on selected tracks and sounding a little like Amy Winehouse, which to me is really good. This is Incognito at its best.
on 5 April 2012
This recording oozes with a potent mixture of skin-tight musicianship, sinewy vocals and irresistible, hook-laden songs. It sounds like a Greatest Hits album and offerings such as "Goodbye to Yesterday", "Don't Want To Know", "Don't Break Me Down" and "The Way You Love" are instant classics. Even the more slow-burning tracks such as "The Stars From Here" and "Restless As We Are" have a mesmerising quality and it all adds up to a wonderfully FRESH collection from a band of more than 30 years' existence, which is some achievement by Jean-Paul Maunick.
on 28 March 2014
My favourite Incognito album for a long time. Stands alongside funky classics like 100* and Rising and Positivity. Great bass playing.
on 2 December 2015
Not their best but still very good
on 4 April 2016
I'm never disappointed by Incognito, always a class production from them!!