on 2 February 2014
The kettle is quite a nice looking one with a shiny stainless steel look. It has a window gauge so you can see how much water is in the kettle . This also shows the max and min line so you cannot boil it dry or over fill it. This is rather strangely placed behind the handle so isn't the easiest to see but it still can be seen but not while holding the handle.

The switch is quite obvious and clear plastic so hopefully it will last being flicked down several times a day and it is found under the handle . The kettle lights up a blue colour on the switch when it is on. You aren't left in much doubt after the first few seconds as it is quite a noisy beast.

The first thing I noticed apart from the jet engine - like noise as it was boiling, was the fact that his kettle help a lot more water than our previous one. The last used to just about fill our tea pot but this fills it and has some water still left over. This is very handy for us as my husband has a huge mug which uses well over half the tea pot so we can pour his, top up the tea pot and still have tea for a few other people!

This kettle has been designed to be a fast boil hence saving time and also the amount of time you have to suffer the noise.

This kettle has a 3kW concealed element which is apparently very efficient and of course does make for easy cleaning and less surface for lime scale to build up on too.
The fact that the kettle can swivel on its base means that it is equally easy for a left or right handed person to use.

I have commented on how much it holds and indeed it holds a massive 1.7L so will pretty much cope with a party of tea and coffee drinkers at one time.

I am happy with my purchase as it was a very reasonable price, it looks good in the kitchen as it matches my other stainless steel bits and pieces that I leave out on the kitchen side.

It does boil pretty fast considering how much water it holds and it does seem to boil faster than our old one too.

I like the fact that the lid is easy to open and fill the kettle, it flips open on a hinge not like those with the lift off lid that sticks. We have two of those in our village coffee shop and they are a pain.

I like the window wit the gauge and the fact that I can see the blue light indicating it is switched on from across the room.

I don't like the fact that conversation has to cease in the room and if the telephone goes I have to go out of the kitchen otherwise I cannot hear who is on the other end if the kettle is boiling.
One person found this helpful
on 11 November 2012
I was looking for a replacement for the kettle that has served me well for a number of years. Having been happy with other Breville products that I have purchased over the years I decided to choose this kettle. It looks smart, but more importantly, it is well built and does the job it is meant to do. It is good value for money and I would recommend this kettle.
14 people found this helpful
on 26 February 2013
My previous stainless steel Breville kettle lasted 6 years - impressive considering it was heavily used every day. I searched for that same model, but can only find it now for £35! This one looks to be the follow-on model, and I'm impressed by how much easier it is to keep clean (the more angular spout greatly reduces dribbling, and limescale spots just wipe off, whereas they were more difficult to remove on the older model. Although I've always had Breville kettles, I'll admit that I did consider the Morphy Richards model (the only other decent £20 stainless steel kettle). However, that one does not have a water-level indicator, which ruled it out for me (OK, the water-level indicator on this Breville is not easy to see, but it's way better than none at all). In short, a great kettle for the money.
9 people found this helpful
on 10 October 2013
Works fine, does what it is supposed to BUT there is no filter to prevent limescale from getting your drink. Instead of there being a mesh insert like most kettles there are very large holes for the water to flow through. Being in London you really need the mesh! Guess I will just have to descale it very often.
8 people found this helpful
on 4 December 2013
Well this will be the third kettle in 3 years, and I can only agree with other reviewers comments that manufactures are using cheaper suppliers and materials that do not stand the test of time. This is a replacement for a Breville that sprang a leak and damaged our Beech-Wood Kitchen surfaces. Amazon delivery was fast and efficient. The unit was un-packed and checked. It seems awfully wobbly on its charging stand. Fast boil but noisy. I did not detect after taste (some comments) from new kettle interior but I have the habit of boiling two full amounts off (1.7 Litres) and using Bicarb to remove any residues left from manufacture. The lid and catch look very flimsy and suspect they will be first to go. It seems obvious to me and others that kettles get quite a hammering with use and obvious heating up to boiling temperatures, but the manufactures are not taking this on board. Seems like most things today, that they are deliberately not made to last Throw away culture. Does Amazon pass comments on to suppliers......?
on 18 October 2013
Great for the price. I particularly liked that it doesn't have a plastic clip on filter; instead it has a stainless steel built-in filter that cannot warp in use. My previous kettle was an earlier model of this one - & was thrown out because the filter became non usable & couldn't get a replacement from Breville - not very environmentally friendly!!!

Admittedly, the holes are large & cannot actually filter any scale - but my kettle gets descaled once a week with citric acid so it is nearly always clean (I live in London so really hard water) I'm happy with this purchase & would recommend
2 people found this helpful
on 13 April 2013
This kettle works perfectly and poors well.
I have owned Breville kettles before and this one does not disappoint
It boils very quickly and is not too noisy.
Recommemded highly.
11 people found this helpful
on 28 February 2014
This kettle actually embarrassed me!! We had a workman around just after moving in, I made him a cuppa and overheard him remarking how "disgusting it tasted, must be chlorination in the water". I felt bad! I had thought my tea was tasting bad and trhis confirmed it!
So after calling the water authority for about 20minutes talking to three different people (I pay the phone bill!!!) I was told to check my dishwasher water intake and all sorts!!!
I then googlled 'new Breville kettle tastes funny' I realised it was this kettle!!!
So next I phone Breville, they tell me to fill with Bicarbonate of soda, boil, refill boil...etc etc!!

What a pain!!! It's ok now after three weeks and and loads of phonecalls etc!!!
But be prepared...to taste plastic for the first 100 cups!!!

AND BREVILLE....SORT IT OUT!
on 28 April 2014
This kettle is rather noisy compared to the plastic type I had previously. The lid hinge is week and after twelve months of use has broken for no apparent reason. I have tried to purchase a new hinge online, but without success. I have also had to dismantle the switch controls to adjust as the switch refused to stay on it now boils again.
Looks good, quick to boil but disappointing reliability, Hence a fair three stars
on 24 July 2013
We replaced our previous kettle as it was always spilling the water when we poured a cup of tea. This is a brilliant pourer and the kettle looks good. I have 2 minor grips though; it is quite noisy (I can't hear the radio when I boil the kettle) and the liquid level only shows a reading when you have the equivalent of 4 cups in it (there are only 2 of us so not much good unless we have guests!) It is quite quick boiling the water.
One person found this helpful