on 7 August 2012
Being a bit of a self confessed geek when it comes to TV's I spent a lot of time researching for a mid range upgrade to my current Toshiba 37" LCD & didn't want to pay over a grand.
Wanting a larger, brighter screen for Sky HD, PS3 Gaming & watching Blu Ray mainly I decided to go for the newer technology LED rather than plasma or LCD.
I am very particular about picture quality over and above anything else so this was really important and with this set I have not been left disappointed.
After setting up I spent a few hours here and there fiddling with the settings to get the picture I wanted.
There are a lot of options on this set, I found the Dynamic setting gave a great picture but created some motion blur due to its enhanced settings so I set everything onto GAME mode, even for watching TV programs.
This setting I have found gives a great vibrant picture with no motion blur at all, I have been watching a lot of the Olympics & a large range of fast moving sports so have tested it well; blacks are deep & whites are bright & all the detail is there & through the integrated HD freeview & the Sky HD the picture is stunning.
Standard def is fine, don't expect HD quality though, as you get used to HD the standard will naturally look poorer anyway but the SD picture is perfectly acceptable through both Sky & freeview.
Sound; at first is poor but there are a lot of settings to adjust this; I set to SPEECH mode upped the Bass & put V-audio surround on & I'm very happy with the sound, in fact I have a surround system but don't need to use it for day to day TV, only games & blu-ray.
3D; this TV uses passive 3D, the same technology as the cinemas; quality here is brilliant & great fun, although not sure how long I could sit watching it for as eyes can take a little bit of adjusting; glasses are really cheap too & you get 4 pairs with the set.
Internet; built in WI-FI connected in seconds, tried Netflix & built in browser & have found it quick & easy to navigate.
Gaming, including online......wow, it has enhanced my gaming experience already; very smooth & vibrant,images are crisp & there is depth to the picture; not tried 3D game yet but will try Arkaham City later!
All in all this is a great looking TV, big screen, thin frame looks the business & for the price your getting a top brand that does everything it says on the tin.
33 Comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 29 June 2012
This Panasonic TV has fantastic picture quality, superb 3D imaging and a great modern design. I enhanced the sound quality with a Yamaha 2200 soundbar system which comes into its own when coupled with my Cambridge Audio 3D Blu Ray player.

The only let down for me and the reason for dropping a star is i have been unable to access the Viera/internet service because the Wi Fi connection keeps dropping out when trying to download software upgrades ( which are needed for the system to operate!). This has become such a problem, particular to the TV only, i have now lost patience and given up on this feature.

Overall i would still recommend this TV as one of the best in the current market.
on 30 May 2012
This was my first foray into large screen LED TV land, having lived with a 22" Samsung LED for about a year after a CRT before that. I spent a lot of time researching as I do for most tech items and I can honestly say I think I have the best TV for the money on the market right now. I went for 37" as this seemed the best fit for my 15' square room and sure enough it's the perfect size as I'll explain later.
I would have ordered from Amazon but a local dealer was offering it for £650 with a five year warranty which looked a good deal and I am always nervous about electrical goods being handled by delivery services, especially one this advanced and expensive.
Setting up was simplicity including the stand and because the TV is so light, I could do this unaided. The TV is aesthetically pleasing and looks really stunning. The screen is quite reflective which is apparent only when the sun is streaming through your windows - the picture is still very visible but you can see reflected items in the room bouncing back at you. I must stress this has not been a big issue as I watch most TV in the evening anyway. Positioning the TV properly will help.

Picture
After going through the auto setup routine the first thing I did was switch to channel 50 on Freeview to see how HD terrestrial TV fares. I was knocked out by the quality of the picture and the other three HD channels didn't disappoint. Be warned though: you will begin to resent watching standard definition channels very soon as they now look like 80's VHS in comparison. Having said that, placing yourself a proper distance from the screen will result in very acceptable picture quality on SD - it's just that HD is so good you find yourself drawing close to the TV to immerse yourself. I've found between 9 and 14 feet works best for me.
You will almost certainly need to play with the picture settings, the defaults are either too dark or too bright and garish. Once you have it tweaked the picture looks fabulous. Watching a film, whether broadcast or from DVD, resulted in what appeared to be a video recording. A strange effect that made it look like a news item recorded today and which utterly ruined the filmic look that I love about film. Thankfully this was down to a setting called "Intelligent Frame Creation" which was set to Max. I changed this to Min and it restored filmed material to its rightful look.
The angle of view is outstanding - from either side the picture remains bright and sharp with no noticeable darkening.

TV Guide/Information
I had already read about Panasonic's inability to produce a guide that didn't shut off the channel you were watching when activated so I wasn't surprised to find this TV was no different. But it still mystifies me why they can't sort this out, my Samsung has no trouble showing the EPG with the channel continuing in a small window with sound. The guide itself is very well laid out and clear even from some distance.
You can select an information panel with the remote that doesn't interfere with the picture and sound and can show you now and next for the current channel. This is also customisable in terms of seconds on screen which is very useful.

Sound
The sound isn't going to win any awards for deep bassiness but for everyday use I'd say it's very good and at high settings quite loud and clear.

3D
I can't comment on the 3D quality of source material as I don't own a Bluray (yet) or play computer games. I've read the BBC are planning some limited 3D broadcasting from the Olympic Games so will be able to test it then. The simulated 2D to 3D effect is quite good though especially on HD broadcasts and the included glasses are very light and virtually unnoticeable on your head. I didn't really buy the TV for 3D so this is not a great deal for me.

Internet (Viera Connect)
One of the many reasons for choosing this set was the built-in WiFi - I didn't want to be messing around with dongles, especially expensive dongles. It works a treat using the built-in apps that include iPlayer, YouTube, Netflix, Facebook, Twitter and a few others I'll likely not use. I was disappointed that LoveFilm is not there since I have a subscription and have no desire to watch films on a computer screen. I tried iPlayer and was very impressed by how easy it was to use and the stunning picture quality when HD options are chosen.

Icing on the cake
I found out there was an app from Panasonic called Viera Remote which turns your smartphone into a remote control. I downloaded this free app to my Galaxy S2 and sure enough it allows me to use my phone as a remote control which is impressive enough. What blew my socks off was the fact that I can play videos, music, photos from my phone through the TV over the WiFi network with no lag and stunning quality. HD videos look amazing though there does seem a problem with the ability to stream HD video recorded by the phone which I am looking into (HD video downloaded from YouTube works fine). Photos are displayed as a slide show with overlaid cheesy jazz music which you can thankfully turn down or off.

The only shortcoming for me is the lack of a timer to switch the TV on at a predetermined time which again my Samsung achieves effortlessly. I am used to using the TV as my alarm clock but this one has no such option, merely allowing a timer event to be set so the TV outputs a signal for an external recorder to use.

I would heartily recommend this TV and am very glad I chose it. I would love to give it 5 stars but the guide problem and lack of `on' timer are just irritating enough to knock one star off.
on 7 August 2012
Set up in minutes, and connected to an upscaling DVD player, PS3 and Virgin+ box. As of today I've added a Boston Acoustics soundbar with subwoofer. The sound is great via the optical cable, but the sound is still coming out of the TV speakers which gives an echo as there is a very slight delay. I thought I would get around this by plugging in a small jack plug into the headphone socket, but when plugged in, the sound still comes out of the speakers. If anyone knows how to get around this please let me know. There's a possibility that it is faulty of course.

So picture wise. In 3D it's stunning, although I only have 1 3D channel which is Eurosport 3D. My daughter was playing the PS3 today in 3D and that was amazing. The 2D to 3D conversion watching Eastenders was pretty good too. The HD is very good with a bit of tweaking on my Virgin+ box, but the SD seems a bit pixelated. I don't know whether this is a Virgin issue. I will call them to find out. Freeview is much better quality picture in SD or HD.

Sound is pants without the soundbar, as is expected of thin LED TVs.

I have a network hard drive next to my computer upstairs where I have loaded lots of AVI movies. I can now stream these effortlessly using Viera tools. It works a treat.

Internet seems to work well too, although I probably won't use it for that.

One of the reasons I bought this was the 4 HDMI sockets, although side mounted sockets is a bit annoying as you can see all the cables.

I've given it 4 out of 5 due to the SD picture issue, which may not possibly be the TVs fault, and the sound issue with the soundbar connected via optical cable, but the sound still coming from the TV speakers.

Still fiddling with the settings trying to improve it, but might go down the Tivo route to see if that improves it.
1616 Comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 4 January 2013
I did not buy this tv from Amazon, but from another well known store,
I would advise anyone thinking of buying one, to go for another make, this TV has
dynamic backlight dimming, which means that any dark lit scenes, are automatically
dimmed further, which makes the picture so dark, you cant see anything,Strangely, if you push the volume control, it brightens up for a few seconds,
The only way out of this, is to go into " true colour" this then halts the problem,
but you are stuck with true colour forever.
I thinbk this a very serious backwood step for Panasonic, as I don't see any way of swithching the dynamic backlight dimming feature off.I want a TV that I control.
99 Comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 25 August 2012
I got this TV with five year Panasonic warranty from a non-Amazon shop for £999.99. Initially SD picture was quite pixelated but after some settings this problem has largely disappeared. For picture settings I'm using viewing mode on cinema, colour balance on cool; vivid colour, CATS & P-NR turned off although I turn vivid colour on for watching movies; I have intelligent frame creation on min, clear cinema off & 16:9 overscan on although turning 16:9 overscan off gives a marginal improvement in SD picture quality. Obviously HD picture is very good. For connecting sky box I'm using a high quality HDMI cable and again the picture quality is very good.

I like the outer frame of the tv with its minimalist design, the sound is adeqaute for most viewing purposes despite having a soundbar which I find overpowering except for movies. The wireless Internet function works fine and so far using YouTube and the BBC iplayer worked a treat.

Not watched any 3D movies yet but watching some 3D free content from Sony 3D world looks very good.

All in all an excellent TV and despite always being a Sony fan, I'm happy to live with this TV.
on 26 December 2012
A really good Panasonic TV, with great picture and 3D exceeding my expectations. There are plenty of controls, hdmi, USB connections and four pairs of 3D glasses.

The setup was really easy and was up and running in no time.

As others have said, yes the power on/off button is on the right side of the TV at the back, but this is by no means difficult to reach in the slightest and you can easily do it without having to look.

Using the remote to key in web addresses is slow, however I just plugged an old keyboard into the USB port and it works fine.
The app store is lacking a little but I guess it will improve over time.

Overall, a great TV I would defiantly recommend.
on 9 October 2013
I wanted a space specific TV and the optimum size was 37" so the choice was a little limited.

Having looked at many reviews I decided this Panasonic fitted the bill. I liked the features on this set, and the only slight concern I had were review comments referring to unwanted reflections due to the shiny screen surface. This I have not found to be an issue, certainly in my room setting,

Basic setup was very straightforward and the set was up and running very quickly after unpacking.

I was pleased with the picture without any adjustments, too soon to start tweaking the set, and my brief checkout of the 3D program looks impressive, as does the HD quality.

Yet to fully explore all the features in depth, but my initial impression is a great TV for under £500. The set replaces a 26" Sony LCD TV, seven years old and which cost over £800 when new. Still in good condition, but the Panasonic has so much more of a WoW factor at almost half the price, but things have moved on I guess.
on 25 June 2012
This panasonic television is the best by far, watching Casino Royale on Blu Ray on this TV is an experience that is quite simply stunning, supremely smooth the picture glides across the screen. This television just oozes quality. The 3D aspect is also very good indeed. I don't normally leave reviews but I had to with this Television - it is that good. Top marks to Panasonic on a fantastic product.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 29 June 2012
Summary
In most cases the picture is very good in daylight, but it doesn't handle some dark scenes - the opening scenes in The Matrix for example - as well as it might in a darkened room and, initially it over-emphasised green if the scene has large areas of vegetation. Music is best played through an external system but setting to emphasise speech setting works well. That said, it's a good buy and worthy of 4.5 stars.

Set-up
We've had a very good 4:3 CRT television for the last 18 years and, I've had security concerns about Wi-Fi since its inception, so buying this smart television was new ground. I needn't have worried as it quickly found and stored the TV and radio channels, and just as easily linked via Wi-Fi to my internet router. The television comes with a SCART to HDMI adaptor to connect a VCR or other equipment that has a SCART but not an HDMI socket. That still leaves three HDMI sockets for a PVR and DVD player. Music, video, and photos can also be played via the three USB and one SC card ports. It has Wi-Fi Direct which I find useful for connecting to my Galaxy Tab 2 tablet, as the USB connection from the tablet to the TV is not recognised by the TV and the tablet.

Picture - UPDATE 1
The 2D viewing angles are as good as a CRT, whether viewing from the side, standing, or lying on the floor watching a Pilates or yoga DVD. Contrast automatic adjustment works well in daylight lit rooms, and standard definition pictures are up-scaled competently. With the "Intelligent Frame Creation" set to Mid, I can't detect blurring in Formula 1, Wimbledon, and camera horizontal panning. Films on television or from a standard definition PVR where the background is dark can be murky and large areas of grass or trees can be un-naturally green. Initially I used the "Picture / Advanced" setting to change the gamma from the the default 2.2 to 2, but increasing the brightness to around 75% (no onscreen scale) seems to help. The contrast automatic adjustment ("CATS") does a good job in a daylit room, but at night time in a softly lit room it may need to be turned off unless the lighting is almost off. Changing the picture setting from Normal to Cinema can also help. There is an energy saving setting that limits the screen brightness, and this may also need to be turned off. The Disney World of Wonder Blu-Ray was useful to adjust the picture. Panasonic issued a firmware update in September 2012 that erased all of my adjustments so it's back to tweaking once more.

Picture - UPDATE 2 27 November 2013
I installed the latest software / firmware update (1266-10402) and the picture resolution, contrast and brightness have improved. It even retained my settings.

I have a HUMAX standard definition PVR with SCART and HDMI outputs. Although I normally use the HDMI output for recorded programmes, I've found that the SCART output works better for dark scenes in Homeland. The downside is that the colour can be marginally washed-out, and the image can be slightly blurred if I'm sat less than two metres from the screen.

Sound
The sound settings can emphasise speech through the television speakers, and I've found that works well although I have tinnitus in one ear. Music is best played through external equipment. This can be via the 3.5mm stereo headphone socket or an optical link for surround sound.

Internet
BBC's iPlayer works well, but in common with other Smart TVs, 4OD and other commercial television platforms are not available. There is a web browser but using a computer is a better option than clicking through the television on screen keyboard. Apparently the Vivanco Bazoo wireless keyboard is compatible with the television; perhaps Panasonic will issue a list of compatible wireless keyboards. The firmware update from the Internet downloaded and installed without a problem.

The Panasonic YouTube app is good as videos load in full screen 720p with the controls off screen until the OK button is pushed. There is a slight downside in that the content is for the UK and Ireland so some music videos aren't available, whereas my Panasonic BDT220 Blu-Ray player Panasonic DMP-BDT220EB Smart Network 3D Blu-ray Player - Black (New for 2012) is set for worldwide but the YouTube app plays videos with the video menu on one half of the screen and the playback on the other half. I assume that Panasonic have the content loaded on their own servers, as the playback of videos from the ViPR section of YouTube is smooth, whereas they can stutter when played back on the computer via the same router.

The web browser will select sites such as Yoga Journal but won't run the vieo links on that site.

3D
The BBC's test 3D transmission of Wimbeldon 2012 gave a really good impression of the speed of the ball, but I wouldn't watch 3D television in place of a 2D transmission. The Avatar DVD in up-scaled 2D through the Panasonic BDT220 Blu-Ray player was so good that it wasn't necessary to do a 2D to 3D conversion.

Other features (UPDATED)
Although other Viera models can record to an external USB hard drive of 160GB to 2 TB, that isn't the case with this model. I had conflicting advice from the local dealer and Panasonic support, but the Panasonic video on You Tube "How To Use DLNA And External HDD On Your Viera TV" gives the impression that all Viera models can record to a USB hard drive. I bought a 500GB Buffalo MiniStation from Amazon and plugged it into USB port 1 on the television; the television recognised the hard drive and gave the options to play back music, video, or still pictures. However there isn't an option in the Setup menu to format the hard drive and set it up for recording; run the Panasonic video to see what I mean. It would be easy for Panasonic to issue a firmware upgrade to do this, and if necessary I'd be prepared to format the hard drive with a Linux partition, but no joy at the moment.

I've just started using the set to display jpeg photos from a memory stick, and I've been surprised at the quality, even from an old 3 megapixel camera. I have tried it with some 32MB tiffs but not surprisingly it doesn't recognise them.

Energy
This A rated set takes 0.3 watts in standby which is just as well, as the on/off button is on the back of the set, and that only reduces consumption to 0.28 watts. Amazon states that it is rated as A+ but Panasonic label it as A.
77 Comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse