on 31 July 2012
Rebecca has suffered since the day she was born with an overwhelming and uncontrollable ability to project her emotions - an issue she has finally resolved with a handy storage unit containing boxes of mementos, which keeps her excess emotions in check. On the day of her sister Lisa's funeral she suddenly realises she has lost touch with some of her feelings which she desperately needs and she realises it is time to deal with her issues - but how? Aby is a little green around the gills. Raised as a staunch Aquatic (the religion of an underwater civilisation which evolved following the Flood) she is breathing air for the first time as she crosses the country in a stolen car, on a mission to `rescue' her landlocked, heretical mother Elizabeth before the opportunity is gone. Elizabeth is running a little-visited hotel in the mountains aided only by Stewart, who in his spare time is building a boat and taking phonecalls from his troubled ex, Rebecca. Oh, and Lisa's husband Lewis has met a woman who tells him she is God, but God's voice is not quite what he might have expected, and has some unforeseen effects...

"Stewart got out of the truck and walked into the wheat field he'd parked beside. The stalks grew higher the deeper into the field he went. He continued walking. The stalks were slightly taller than his waist, but he still didn't know what to say."

While overwhelming emotions is a problem most of us can already empathise with, it takes a little more suspension of belief to take at face value an Aquatic race living alongside our own (although unknown to most humans), and manifestations of God. However, Kaufman's first full-length novel builds on the success and quirky characterisation of 'All My Friends Are Superheroes'; and the unreal/supernatural elements can be read as `real' or metaphorical, as the reader prefers. Think of it as a fable with a more complex plot structure and you won't go far wrong.

"The toast popped. Rebecca watched as Lisa smeared forgiveness onto it. She dumped two heaping spoonfuls of forgiveness into a mug and filled it with coffee. Lisa carried the toast and the coffee from the counter to the table, setting both in front of Rebecca. She sat across the table and looked at her expectantly. Rebecca took a tiny bite of the toast. The forgiveness was very bitter and she could hardly swallow."

I enjoyed this book, but not as much as 'Superheroes'. It is concisely written with some cleverly constructed imagery, lots of interesting characters and the converging storylines soon align neatly - a little too neatly, perhaps: the exposition of the Aquatic religion/philosophies outlining some of the story's themes, and the signposting of how the stories might/would converge was sometimes a little too obvious, and there were times when I felt the (slightly new-age) message overpowered the story rather than allowing the story to expose the message implicitly. On the other hand, I really did enjoy the story, the journey, the characters and the little moments of humour throughout. And spirituality aside, at its core (like Superheroes) it is a love story, perfect if you are looking for a slightly off-beat, light and uplifting read.
on 27 June 2012
While most reviewers of this book have nothing but praise for the unusual story and characters, I find my self on the fence with this one.

Admittedly Kauffman has provided a story with a very interesting and original plot and the execution and writing style is good, but there was something missing in this book. I'm a reader who can generally get through a book in 2 or 3 days, yet with this one (which is actually quite short) it took me longer. I think the main reason behind my lack of enthusiasm for this story was the fact that I couldn't really get a sense of the characters and their motivations, as the narrative would switch between one of three characters every other chapter.

Overall though, it was an enjoyable read and I really liked the ending - they each got a cathartic and individual ending which was satisfying to their character-type. I think I would give this book a 7/10 rating overall.
on 26 November 2012
I really didn't want to finish this book. The characters, even the not strictly human ones, are fascinating and their adventures are entertaining and thought provoking. I think the plot may have been strung together by unlikely coincidences but I barely noticed them and easily forgave the odd Kindle typo. I was carried away by the tale, you see.

Reading Waterproof Bible was like eating a box of sublime chocolates, each short chapter a unique delicately wrapped sweet. I didn't know whether to savour every one or gorge the lot. I tried to do both, but gorged mostly.
on 28 January 2014
Didn't really know what to expect, downloaded on a whim and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm not really sure what it was about other than how important it is to pay attention to the world around you and the ones you love.

It was a nonsensical but lovely book. I wouldn't recommend for those of a scientific disposition though.
on 31 July 2014
Andrew manages to make the distinctly weird quite normal as you dive into this watery emotional world. Twin Peaks style I was wafted off until it came to an abrupt end that woke me up - oh well, back to normality!
on 15 August 2014
A story of redemption, love, grief and forgiveness, so far so good.......
The tale of Rebecca Lisa Stewart and Lewis was enough for me, the green slimy characters seemed entirely unnecessary. At times it was tricky keeping track of all the characters (each chapter tells a different characters story) until eventually it all came together in a rather predictable way at the end.
2 stars for Rebecca's tale, zero for the rest.
on 21 December 2014
I simply love Andrew Kaufman's books. They always cheer me up. His stories are different from anything I had read before and I am currently working my way through all of his works.
on 29 May 2015
A very unusual book. A wierd storyline but strangely captivating. Making you want to keep reading. There's no way you can guess the ending.
on 3 January 2014
I enjoyed this book, not something that I normally read but overall a nice piece of entertainment. Yes its a love story but there are some many other features in the book that help make it whatever you want it to be.
on 9 October 2012
This is a very different book to anything I have have ever read. It's simply great. Despite the extraordinary characters and the far fetched fantastical storyline, it works and you believe in the characters completely. Highly recommended.