Customer reviews

The Heart of Glasgow
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£6.64

on 8 July 2005
This is an informative and entertaining book on the love of Jack House's life - the city of Glasgow. The city's history is told in a very interesting way and with a great sense of humour, which will appeal to Glaswegians and 'outsiders' alike. The book is packed with facts and detail and so requires relatively slow reading but it is never dry. Anyone who genuinely loves Glasgow, or just wants to know more about this city of great character, could not do better than this. Jack House wrote around 70 books and the others will be worth searching out. He was an authority on the Madeline Smith case, which is described in his 'Square Mile of Murder' book.
on 3 January 2010
Product just what we hoped for in terms of its coverage of Glasgow. It's been well received by it's recipient who remembers the author as a much respected journalist whose writings about the city were very poplular and eagerly anticiapated by fellow Glaswegians.
on 24 January 2013
Took me back to the forties and fifties I walked the streets as Jack House so ably describes them though Glasgow was a bit bigger by then.
on 19 December 2011
a fantastic read. few people knew as much about Glasgow as Jack House.
written in an entertaining style. This is a must read for all glasweigens
on 25 March 2013
As a Scot, i was fascinated to read and learn information all about a city i thought i knew. A wee gem all done in a conversational style as though he was relating the story directly to you over a single malt
on 19 January 2014
Having been born in Paisley, moved to Glasgow then lived most of my 54 years in England I was curious about the history behind the city. I have been back to Glasgow many times down the years but never really felt Scottish in any real sense of the word. I did however realise that I knew the story of St Mungo and the symbols on the city crest. My mother being a Scot, Glasgow born and bred has spent many an hour down the years talking about her home town. Reading the book led me to look online for old photos of the city and much to my surprise I knew and remembered a lot of street names and places from the late 60s/early 70s thanks to a Grandfather who loved to share the history of his home town with me.
Not sure it will be of interest to people looking for a potted history of the city but for curious people interested in the area set out in the synopsis it's a good read
on 29 March 2013
A very entertaining book, by a good story teller. I wouldn't necessarily believe all the stories, but I have certainly enjoyed reading them. For those who know Glasgow well, this book is a treat.
on 18 February 2013
I enjoyed this book but I should explain that I grew up near Glasgow in the 1920/30s and worked in Glasgow in the 1930s so it has a certain appeal for me. I would recommend it.
on 22 January 2013
Quite interesting but I found this book very repetative but would be of interest to anyone wishing to learn about old Glasgow.
on 19 March 2013
Coming from Glasgow I was extremely fascinated by the old stories and it grew from small suburbs to the city it is now.